Talk

Advanced search

Dying hair blonde at home

(13 Posts)
ISeeIt Sat 23-Jul-16 20:35:32

I stopped regularly dying my hair about ten years ago and have been mousetastic ever since. I want to go blonde again but there's no way I could escape my three under four for long enough to manage a salon trip, nor could I justify cost.

So I call upon you wise style and beautyers. I'm sure I've seen some super threads about how to dodge the brassy home dye look, but I can't find them. How do I get the perfect cool/ashy blonde hair at home? What's the best diy brand? Please share your expertise, dye jobs of mumsnet!

maddiesparks Sat 23-Jul-16 20:39:50

I've done it and would strongly advise never doing it at home! Sorry.. Not very helpful. I have a toddler too and I managed to find a great mobile hairdresser who comes to me, problem solved. The toddler can run around no problems. Would that be something you could do? It is also less than half the price of a salon.

JillyWillyPops Sat 23-Jul-16 20:41:07

I tried bleaching my dirty blonde hair at home and it all went very very wrong. I ended with hair which resembled chewing gum and a very hefty hairdresser bill!! I would always advise if going blonde to always go to a salon to be on the safe side, they know what they're doing.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sat 23-Jul-16 20:43:56

Don't do it! Sorry, not that answer you want, but it is definitely worth getting a professional to do it.

Littledafty Sat 23-Jul-16 20:46:56

Don't do it!!! My friend did mine years ago and it went bright orange on top, almost glowing, it looked awful. Had to go to the hairdressers in shame to get it fixed.
Get a professional to do it otherwise you may end up spending way more trying to fix it.

cheapandcheerful Sat 23-Jul-16 20:48:38

Garnier Nutrisse, can't remember what shade but it has 'multi-tonal technology'. I was hmm at first but yesterday even my new hairdresser thought I'd had highlights done in a salon.

ISeeIt Sat 23-Jul-16 22:15:22

Ooh, many votes for not attempting this! I'm sure I've seen brilliant advice given by those in the know in how to get a foolproof result at home on here before. Did I imagine it? I think Nutrisse might be one I was told by someone else to avoid! Argh, by off to a good start!

blowmybarnacles Sat 23-Jul-16 22:40:25

Well I do mine at home, I am have a fair bit of grey around the temples quite grey and I pre-treat them with hydrogen peroxide. My natural colour is a light to mid brown.

I use a light ash blonde, never gone brassy or orange and people are amazed its out of a box!

Chocolateteabag Sun 24-Jul-16 08:58:07

Mobile hairdresser gets my vote - mine has been a life saver!
She puts in my highlights then cuts DH/DC while it takes.
It's cheaper and more efficient plus you get their undivided attention - and I think a better hair cut/colour as a result.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 24-Jul-16 18:59:15

L'Oreal Excellence cream is one of the best brands I've found that don't give brassy results.
You need to establish what your starting base colour is. If it's a dark blonde/mousey then you should be fine using a light blonde. If it's more brown, then you need to look for the L'Oreal dyes that are called 'High lift' as they will lift your colour by several shades.

Blonde dyes are categorised as warm, neutral or cool toned. If you want a blonde with no orange or red tones then keep to cool shades; ice, ash, cool blonde and avoid any honey, caramel, baby blonde shades.

Also, using a purple toner regularly is not optional. Your blonde will go brassy without using it regularly. My recommendation would be Boots Lee Stafford Bleach Blonde purple shampoo.

Finally, blonde hair is a commitment even if you do it at home. The roots will need re touching every few weeks and it will be more prone to damage so you'll be spending more on conditioning treatments, argan oil and serums.

If you're nervous about the results, pour a little from each container, mix on a saucer and apply to a small section of your hair as a strand test. After it's dried, inspect it in bright natural light and decide if you like it.

Hope that helps smile

Truckingalong Sun 24-Jul-16 19:46:27

This is the one recommended time and again m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=276804623&gclid=CIK47OXgjM4CFUkq0wod22oFaA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then use this to keep it ashy www.superdrug.com/B-Blonde/Jerome-Russell-B-Blonde-Silver-Toner/p/368914
Better than any purple shampoo and I've tried them all! Doesn't leave any lilac cast.

ISeeIt Sun 24-Jul-16 20:10:19

Fantastic. Thanks all!

Tanfastic Sun 24-Jul-16 20:24:54

I've been highlighting my hair myself since I was fourteen. I use the Wella hair streaking kit and pull it through the cap and just do the roots every six weeks or so.

Mine isn't orange, brassy or in bad condition and its shoulder length.

I've been to the hairdressers before for professional highlights but it looks the same. Why pay more?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now