Talk

Advanced search

Hair straighteners, are ghd worth the money?

(21 Posts)
AdoraBell Fri 22-Jul-16 17:24:58

Am looking at straighteners for DD, she's had some for a couple of years and they are going wrong. I'm wondering if GHD will last longer, or should I just buy a standard pair every other year?

TIA

Pisssssedofff Fri 22-Jul-16 20:18:11

I have one pair that are older than my high school kid and still fine

SteveArnottsLoverPlease Fri 22-Jul-16 20:21:09

I've been disappointed with the GHDs I bought last year. They get very light use (maybe once a month tops) but I don't rate them as highly as I did my old Babyliss ones! I think they are overrated but I know some extremely loyal and dedicated GHD fans so maybe it's just me!

Mercedes519 Fri 22-Jul-16 20:21:17

I have Cloud 9 ones. As good as GHD but with the added advantage that they turn themselves off automatically so much less risk of burning furniture/carpet/burning the house down. They have lasted daily use for at least three years...

OhThatThingAgain Fri 22-Jul-16 20:25:43

Old GHDs were great, I've got some from 2002 which are still good. Later models were not as good. We've got four sets in our mad curly hair house.

I'm a Cloud9 convert now, they feel like the old GHDs with the added bonus you can reduce heat for your fringe and turn it up for thicker lengths.

Youvegottobekidding Fri 22-Jul-16 20:29:51

I have a pair of GHD's that are about 3 maybe 4 years old & i wasn't that impressed with them. Hubby went shopping at Aldi & came home with the Remington colour protect ones for £14 (as you do!) anyway, they are brilliant! They have variable temp control so can go up to 230 deg, if you desire the GHD's only go up to 180 - I find 200 sufficient. I think Argos do them for about £26, as hubby got them about a year ago & hasn't seen them in since.

HoneyDragon Fri 22-Jul-16 20:38:08

My ancient ones are still very good.

However my new shiny Corioliss C3s are fabulous and outshine them in every way.

Tokelau Fri 22-Jul-16 20:49:53

I had a brilliant pair that lasted about eight years. When they finally collapsed two years ago, I treated myself to a new pair of GHD eclipse straighteners. They were expensive but lovely, until they stopped working two months later. GHD were great and replaced them immediately. That pair lasted a year, then the same thing happened. The light turned red, they gave three short beeps and stopped working. Those were replaced, and the next pair lasted about six months. I am now on my fourth pair, not eclipse, the next model. I've had them two months and they've just stopped working. I don't know yet if GHD will replace them again. If not, I'll buy a different brand this time.

AdoraBell Fri 22-Jul-16 22:42:05

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at the Cloud 9 ones.

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Fri 22-Jul-16 22:45:53

I've had three sets of GHDs since 2005 and they have always been brilliant. I have very thick, wavy/frizzy hair and they are the only straighteners I've tried which actually work, and I've tried a lot over the years.

imwithspud Fri 22-Jul-16 22:49:07

I got some GHD's for my 16th birthday and they lasted for 6 years. The only reason they broke was because I stupidly left them on my bedroom floor under the floordrobe and ended up stepping on them and breaking them. Other straighteners I owned before them never lasted and were never as good. Definitely worth the investment, I wouldn't use anything else.

Leopard12 Fri 22-Jul-16 23:13:25

I have a pair of corioliss, saw them at Harrods (bought them online cheaper) about 8 years ago and were told they were amazing and be the next big thing, still don't know anyone else with them, but still work like new and look in great condition, not sure about new models but mine have an extra long lead and can adjust temperature, my sisters had 2 GHDs and now looking for new straighteners in the same amount of time

Twinklestar2 Fri 22-Jul-16 23:14:01

Yes!!

Leopard12 Fri 22-Jul-16 23:14:58

Also highest temp on Corioliss is 210 which is great for my frizzy hair

roundandroundthehouses Fri 22-Jul-16 23:22:15

I've just passed my 10 yr old GHDs on to dd2 as they're still going fine, and got myself a new pair. Am now slightly alarmed to learn that the newer ones aren't as good. Perhaps I'll take the old ones back grin.

BengalCatMum Fri 22-Jul-16 23:25:04

Used to have GHD; were good. Then Corioliss which were good if not better; but take a bit of getting used to because they are lighter and the plates are longer and more integrated into the straightener than GHD. Found Corioliss was better for doing waves or loose curls.

Then I found Moroccan Oil and turned my back on all heat based hair items for ever. I would recommend you get this for DD too and try to encourage her to not straighten every day, and use the oil to replenish hair on 'non-heat' days.

I am 25 now, straightened every day from 16-20, and have only just got my hair back to the quality it was before I dried it out; essentially by growing the whole lot out.

Your DD sounds like she's in the phase, and there was no convincing me not to straighten my hair in that phase. But it is worth buying the best hair straighteners you can to protect her hair, and buy the best quality oils/ treatments to replenish it.

rollonthesummer Fri 22-Jul-16 23:26:51

I have a pair from 2004 which are fab but my hairdresser who knows everything says the new pairs are dire and it's better to buy an old pair from eBay than a new pair!

FranHastings Sat 23-Jul-16 14:25:33

I agree the old ghds were brilliant and the new ones are rubbish. I really don't like my new ones, bought about 3 yrs ago, but feel duty bound to keep using them because I paid so much for them.

AdoraBell Sat 23-Jul-16 14:33:40

Bengal yes, she's definitely in that teenage mind set of needing to straighten everyday. I will look into the oils. We lived abroad until recently and couldn't get decent oils.

MsTea Sat 23-Jul-16 20:33:38

How about a steampod? I adore mine and I don't think it's as harmful to your hair. Best straighteners I've ever had.

whatishistory Sun 24-Jul-16 09:14:31

The old GHDs were great, but then I got some eclipse. They broke (same red light flashing and beeping described above) after a few months. I sent them back for repair, but was so desparate as I was going on holiday that I bought a second pair of eclipse.

The second pair broke after a few months and were replaced. Over the next year, both of the replaced GHDs broke. They were replaced with the new GHD platinum straighteners. One of these has already broken and been replaced. And the second pair broke last week so I'm going to return them.

So, that means I haven't had a single pair of straighteners that have kept working for longer than a year. GHD are very good and have replaced them, but it's still crap. When I go on holiday, I make sure I take both pairs, just in case. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now