Talk

Advanced search

Ascot - help with shoes for this dress please!

(64 Posts)
zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 09:53:23

So I have this dress for my day at ascot. We are in a box to I want to look tip top!

It doesnt seem to me to be a classic Ascot dress, but its all I have and I can't afford to buy anything else. I just need shoes and perhaps a hat / bag combo.

I have no idea where to start. Please help!!

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 10:39:50

anyone...pleeeease??

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:03:54

sad

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 11:19:18

Sorry your link is banned at my work! Can you upload a picture?

rainytea Tue 19-Jul-16 11:21:02

No link showing on my phone.

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:21:23

hope this works! and thank you minipie!

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:21:43

is it really tiny??

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:23:12

any better?

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 19-Jul-16 11:26:54

Is it cream or white in the background colour of dress? If cream I would go for cream/nude strappy dressy sandals and similar colour hat with green clutch. I like the brown shoes the model has on for a more causal look but think you need to dress it up.
Chunky jewellery as well smile

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 11:28:00

Yep that works!

Ok so with black and white dress there are two obvious choices for accessories: stick with black and white or go for a bright colour. Which do you fancy?

Are you in one of the enclosures that has a specific dress code (Royal or Queen Anne enclosures) or the general Windsor area?

Definitely wedges rather than pointy heels or you will sink.

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:30:07

Thanks Wishful

Its white in the background

I am chunky of calf so stilettos are a no-no, I prefer something more block heeled

What type of hat?? I am quite short and have an hourglass figure...the dress from pepperberry is a size 10 Super Curvy. So my waist is a size 10 but the rest of me is 12-14 bust / 14-16 hips. I don't want a hat to drown me!!

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:32:33

wedges are a good idea. but will that be too casual? I will be in the Parade Ring for some finer dining. I am so not used to this...we are usually sitting on the grass!!

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 11:33:10

Ah I assumed it was black and white sorry! Just looked again and realised the pattern is green.

Tan colours would look good for accessories. Gold would work too. Maybe a combo of both.

What do you already have - any bags or jewellery that might work already?

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:34:00

I have a salmon pint clutch that actually works quite well...

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:34:20

pint? pink! thinking of a pint on this sunny day

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:34:53

The clutch has gold on it, and I have some okayish gold chunky jewellery

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 11:49:41

Wedges are a bit less smart than heels yes but otoh it won't look very smart if you keep sinking in and your heels get all muddy!

Perhaps some gold wedges (and also gold jewellery/clutch/fascinator)?

these are smart looking for a good price

Debenhams has a few gold fascinators (tasteful gold rather than glitzy gold iyswim)

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 11:52:11

I will be in the restaurant all day, no walking on grass for me!!

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 11:52:19

Ooh cross posted. Salmon pink, ok

<gets hunting>

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 19-Jul-16 12:02:43

What's your hair like op will you want to have it up or down then I'll have a look at hats smile

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 12:46:23

I have brown curly (fine but lots of it) just below the shoulder length hair. Usually wear it down but would quite like an up do for a change. Not sure how though!! Any suggestions welcome. I prefer the messy 'big' look, to something tight or structured.

Thanks all xx

RockinHippy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:23:35

I would suggest these, or the "Lazy Rivers" on the same site if these are too high for you....
hHERE they are very comfortable & even I can manage IC heels all day

Accessorise the rest of the outfit with white, such as hat or fascinator & shrug or shawl & silver jewellery
If you really want to add a bit more oompf, add a White petticoat under the dress

HTH smile

RockinHippy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:25:07

Sorry, link didnt work for some reason - trying again...

HERE

zimzimma Tue 19-Jul-16 13:28:08

Rockin - I LOVE those shoes!! The shape, the style, the bow, the heel. But possibly a bit too bling for me. Plus it will need to be from a high street shop, as I am going shopping for them tomorrow and need to try on. Ascot is Saturday...

amarmai Tue 19-Jul-16 13:56:38

Great dress k. Strap pay tan sandals wd look good. Skip the bling .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now