Where can I find plain black work trousers that actually fit

(15 Posts)
RavenclawRemedials Mon 18-Jul-16 16:19:13

I'm about 5ft 3, vary between a size 12 and 14 depending on brand and just want a decent ordinary pair of black trousers (not leggings or jeans) for work. Nothing too tight, nothing too low rise. How hard can that be?

As it turns out, practically impossible. I'm short for a start. I have thunder thighs (well, tree trunk legs all the way down actually) and a lower tummy that can best be described as, er, ridged (if you've ever had a c-section you know what I mean) so most of them cling in the wrong places. I tried a pair on that fitted on the waist and on the bum but bagged up around the tummy and clung on the thighs. I've tried all sorts of shapes as well and I'm at my wits end. I feel like a freak. The weird thing is I can normally find jeans to fit quite easily. Why? confused

Please reassure or point me in the right direction. I can't be the only one finding this a nightmare!

MrsPear Mon 18-Jul-16 16:22:05

How about made to measure?

RavenclawRemedials Mon 18-Jul-16 16:36:55

Ah, made to measure. Otherwise known as 'I give up'. grinI'd rather not pay out for that if I can help it. I don't want to admit that I'm a lost cause and the shops don't want to know me. I just want to buy something. Preferably a two figure not a three figure sum. Anyone?

A mutual grumble from those with similar problems would be good as I feel like venting too.

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Jul-16 16:42:40

I'm 5'8" with similarly thunderous thighs and after years of searching found my perfect black work trousers at Me&Em - sale though! And still had to take them up.

Auntpodder Mon 18-Jul-16 16:44:41

Uniqlo - if you're near a branch they'll shorten them for free but are also online. Very subtle elastic waist at the back. www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/173707?r=4140565037481396086

hollieberrie Mon 18-Jul-16 17:06:42

Gap? I'm 5foot1 & all my work trousers are from there. Their sizing is pretty generous too - I take 2 sizes smaller there than I do at topshop! confused

nooddsocksforme Mon 18-Jul-16 18:14:55

I'm 5 4 and have thunder thighs and find I can get cheap work trousers ok from zara .

nooddsocksforme Mon 18-Jul-16 18:32:11

I'm 5 4 and have thunder thighs and find I can get cheap work trousers ok from zara .

DesolateWaist Mon 18-Jul-16 18:34:23

I'm 5 3 with thighs that are bigger than a five year old. I get mine from Marks and Spencer.

Playduh Mon 18-Jul-16 18:36:35

I like the John Lewis own brand ones. I'm sure they'll tailor. They must do, they're JL.

iklboo Mon 18-Jul-16 18:45:37

Capri pants at Asda fit me like normal trousers short arse five footer and I am also elephantine of thigh.

Mamia15 Mon 18-Jul-16 18:46:33

Do you have to wear trousers? I have a friend who always wears skirts and dresses because she feels trousers don't suit her.

UnikittyInHerBusinessSuit Mon 18-Jul-16 18:49:39

Buy a pair that fit at your widest points and get them taken in.

ALittleLemonTwist Mon 18-Jul-16 18:54:05

Uniqlo trousers already mentioned are brilliant.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Mon 18-Jul-16 18:54:40

M&S, White Co and French Connection good for the large of thigh
If too long a dry cleaner will take them up for a few quid.
Or likewise just get the ones you like best to fit your thighs, and have them taken in at the waist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now