Talk

Advanced search

How to learn to do make up

(17 Posts)
Onionringo Mon 18-Jul-16 16:02:29

Hi,

I've sleepwalked into my late 30s without ever really knowing how to do make up. Any recommendations on how to learn? I don't look ridiculous, but I'd like to know exactly what suits me as I don't want to sleepwalk into middle age without looking how Id like.

Are make up counters good? I don't have a fortune to spend, but could probably spend a bit. I tried YouTube tutorials, but that wasn't really for me. Anybody ever had a make up lesson?

Thanks!

BananaChew Mon 18-Jul-16 16:09:02

I was going to recommend Lisa Eldridge YouTube videos, she's excellent. Have not had a make up lesson but would consider it. Or would go to somewhere like No7 and ask them to show me what I need and how to apply it and then buy the lot

CoolToned Mon 18-Jul-16 20:35:30

Definitely Youtube. Lisa Eldridge and the very early days of Michelle Phan. I went from total clueless to knowing basic makeup - not eyeshadow, though. I can't seem to get that.

CoolToned Mon 18-Jul-16 20:36:26

Sorry just noticed you tried Youtube and it did not work. Maybe try again - search for Michelle Phan. Go to the early videos. 5 minute makeup, etc.

I also think it's all about practice.

Lucked Mon 18-Jul-16 20:36:28

That's for asking his, I am taking notes!

Woodhill Mon 18-Jul-16 20:38:31

Yes I found Lisa Elridge fantastic

HeyMacWey Mon 18-Jul-16 20:39:15

Definitely Lisa eldridge - her videos are brilliant for beginners and different inspiration. She uses a lot of drugstore brands so you don't need to spend a fortune.

Are you looking for a 'you but bit more polished' look?

Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier are good for this.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 18-Jul-16 20:43:40

Another option would be does a local beauty salon do a make-up lesson, or a make-up application as part of their services? Ideally not one that sold make-up, so no vested interest in selling you a shed-load of products. If you can subtly suss them out, and get an appointment with someone with a similar amount of make-up on as your preferred aspired-to 'look', so much the better. Failing that, a local college where they do beauty would probably offer this as a service, and it would be cheap too. Don't worry, they're all supervised grin

CoolToned Mon 18-Jul-16 21:55:58

Also, I think in beauty counters like MAC, or maybe Space NK, they can teach you how to apply makeup for a fee, but you can use the fee to purchase products used on you.

Onionringo Tue 19-Jul-16 08:47:44

Local beauty salon might be an idea. Hadnt thought of students. I suppose it's only make up, it wipes off if it's a disaster!

I'm scared of the MAC type places. The women in department stores seem to wear so much make up. I know they have to, but I'm much more a fan of a natural look. Plus I worry I'll end up £300 down at the end of it because I'll feel bad saying no to stuff!

Mindgone Tue 19-Jul-16 14:51:44

I find Bobbi Brown counters great, the look is 'you' but enhanced. Phone and make an appt for a lesson, it's what they do. Explain your situation and discuss the lessons you need. When they've finished the lesson, don't buy anything, just say you'll go away and have a think about what you'd like. And then do that, no pressure. They'll write down everything they've used, so you can buy it later, or similar cheaper elsewhere. You really don't need to pay for lessons.
I've been known to get BB girls to do my make up at airports when heading to a party, or just with a hangover to make me look human! It makes their day more interesting! Please try before you spend!

Woodhill Tue 19-Jul-16 15:48:43

I felt a bit pressurised at BB but bought one item which is excellent. So expensive but lovely products.

hollinhurst84 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:50:50

What are you wanting to achieve? Any photos of looks you like?
And yes, it washes off!!!

Toxicity Tue 19-Jul-16 16:00:06

I think if you ever see an assistant whose make up you like then maybe ask them if you can have a demonstration/lesson?

Beware of Bobbi Brown, I find they often do quite a hard sell and use more products than you need because they are trying to flog them all, I once asked to try their under eye concealer - the assistant put about three different products on me and yep they settled into my fine lines and looked rubbish quite frankly!

Or maybe something like this might be of interest to you? www.linacameron.com/services/lessons/

Toxicity Tue 19-Jul-16 16:02:01

Sorry I just looked at the prices Lina charges - ouch! But I wonder if lessons like this are cheaper outside of London?

singleandfabulous Tue 19-Jul-16 16:09:48

I was going to suggest Lisa Eldridge too. she's amazing.

I've had a couple of appointments (at home) with make-up artists, both shit unfortunately. I think it's like anything else, get a recommendation and look at their work (if they're any good they'll be super busy and booked up months in advance). One who came to me did the whole '1950's pin-up' make-up look on me and I looked about 90. Another one just replicated her own make-up and made me look like a drag-queen (I'm fair, light eyed and pale skinned. she was dark haired, tanned and dark eyed and put me in orange foundation, orange eye-shadow, black liner and mascara and tonnes of bronzer). Awful.

If you don't like YouTube, you could buy a book and some make-up and have a go yourself. Can you ask a well made up colleague or friend to help?

Mindgone Wed 20-Jul-16 16:44:55

The Bobbi brown website does video lessons too. I don't work for them, honest, I've just found them helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now