Talk

Advanced search

Comfortable work shoes - do they exist?

(19 Posts)
Wigeon Sun 17-Jul-16 18:33:09

I absolutely hate shoe shopping for smart work shoes. I seem to have a list of requirements which means almost no shoes fit my criteria:

No or low heel. Firstly, because I'm 5'8", and don't particularly want to be loads taller, and secondly because every single shoe I've ever tried with a heel more than about 2" seems to tip my toes right into the top bit and is agony.

Not mega frumpy

Toe part not pointy. As round as possible. Otherwise my toes just feel really really squished. I think I have bunions or the beginnings of bunions by my big toes, so that doesn't help.

Stay on my feet. Shoes which are cut away and only cover the ends of your toes always seem to slip right off my feet. So I either end up buying ones with straps across the top of the foot, or with quite a lot of material up the top of my foot.

I'm basically relying on a pair of patent loafers like these, but from Next, in wide fit, which look quite frumpy with dresses but ok (maybe?) with trousers. But now they let in water so I have to face the shops!

Has anyone cracked the "comfortable but stylish for work" conundrum? I've tried wearing flat ballet pumps on my (London) commute, and changing at work, but am finding my pair with a smallish heel are agony even just being worn at work and not on the commute.

Help!

travailtotravel Sun 17-Jul-16 18:35:24

I have a pair of flats from Gabor - they tend to fit well on me and last. I agree though, it's such a boring thing to shop for!

Rainatnight Sun 17-Jul-16 18:36:00

Clarks usually have lots of brogues that might do.

Meow75 Sun 17-Jul-16 18:38:38

I love Clarks' brogues, and they do them in W fit, so that might help with the narrowness issue. They are £45-50 a pair, but last ages, or they do me. I've had my current pair approx 3 year and wear them at least twice a week.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Sun 17-Jul-16 18:38:40

I have Repetto ballerinas with a 1 inch block heel. I have worn them to death but they are the only flattish work shoes that look smart, stay on and don't stretch ime. They have a ballet shoe type string so you can adjust them to your foot. Overpriced but their sales are good. Lots of colours too.

Wigeon Sun 17-Jul-16 18:55:49

Brogues like the attached? They do look v comfy, but do they just look really clumpy / frumpy with a dress? Or with trousers which taper to the ankle?

I did once have a pair of shoes from Gabor and they were comfortable, so I should investigate them again, good idea.

Haven't heard of Repetto - what kind of price bracket are they?

BeJayKayven Sun 17-Jul-16 19:20:38

Clark's Airlie Reef are super comfortable and the contrasting heel and sole give them a bit of style about them (IMHO)

herecomesthsun Sun 17-Jul-16 20:06:49

Just bought a couple of pairs from ahem Hotters. Memory foam in the soles of some of their shoes, and generally lots of padding. I have a pair of Mary Janes with about a 2" heel that look small and seem very comfy. I also noticed loafers, including ones with some leopard print in them , that should be smart enough for work and didn't look only-for-comfort. Lots of courts with rounded toes.

They have a good sale on, I think it's worth having a gander.

Going a bit upmarket, Chie Mihara is good, does foot-shaped shoes, worth googling for bargains.

Ecco also does courts, might be worth having a look. Also Gabor.

Life is too short to have sore feet!

MrsWooster Sun 17-Jul-16 20:10:27

Fitflop Mary Jane are expensive but blissfully comfortable and I am VERY heavy

CatherineDeB Sun 17-Jul-16 20:32:47

I like Ecco Basel loafers, comfy out of the box and smart. I bought some new ones recently on Amazon for £60. I would link but keep getting logged out!

CatherineDeB Sun 17-Jul-16 20:34:42

These

Waffles80 Sun 17-Jul-16 20:52:03

Hate Clarks flats - or any Clarks. They wear away! On carpet!

Love Gabor shoes and have found a few pairs that fit your criteria.

I tried the FitFlop Mary Janes on today (half price), but didn't like them on me - they looked too Alice in Wonderland-ish/little girl school shoe-ish.

I think I might get these.

Pigsbum Sun 17-Jul-16 20:56:50

I used to wear these, nice padded sole and wide sooooo comfy. Luckily I don't have to look smart for work anymore so I just wear converse...

http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens/hush-puppies-janessa-black-flat-shoes/1304007020/

SexNamesRFab Sun 17-Jul-16 20:57:06

Lurking OP, as I've buggered my feet and need to radically rethink all my footwear.

herecomesthsun Sun 17-Jul-16 21:00:40

I also have El Naturalista sandals, covered toe, with a 4.5" rubber heel, ok for work and confy, also good for driving.

Acopyofacopy Sun 17-Jul-16 21:03:32

I have been looking at Skechers online, they have one pair of smart looking Mary Janes, but I have very narrow feet and am reluctant to order.

My most comfy work shoes so far are Clarks, but we will be on the continent for the summer, so I'll have a look there <unhelpful>.

Wigeon Sun 17-Jul-16 21:30:32

Those Ecco things look good. The Fitflop Mary Janes look a bit too frumpy to me for work (sorry!) - quite smart office - not private sector consultancy smart, but still want to feel a teeny bit stylish who am I kidding.

At least there are no rules about women HAVING to wear heels in my workplace!

UhtredRagnorsson Mon 18-Jul-16 06:34:51

I wear vegan DM shoes for work. I work in the city, very smart office, most of the women wear heels. My shoes are supremely comfy and very smart. Maybe they look frumpy but I don't give a shit. I think they look cool and they look fine with either trousers or dresses. But most importantly they are sturdy and comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now