Talk

Advanced search

Does having juicing for breakfast cause hairfall

(23 Posts)
lancerate12 Sun 17-Jul-16 18:09:00

Hi,
I have started having juice of vegetables for breakfast from yesterday and have proper food for lunch and dinner. I have noticed quite a bit of hairfall today.Can it be due to juicing? Would like some advice on it. I am having juice of carrot, beetroot, cucumber, tomato n watermelon to have hair growth.

Thanks,
Sam

specialsubject Sun 17-Jul-16 18:29:57

in short; no. Especially not in one day.

mushed up vegetables do still contain nutrition, although somewhat less as you lose all the fibre.

nothing makes your hair grow faster than your genetic rate. Malnutrition will make it fall out, but you wouldn't see that in one day even if you ate nothing.

juicing isn't magic. And remember if you mush up too much fruit you take in lots of calories and need to burn them off.

LokisUnderpants Sun 17-Jul-16 18:31:53

It's an extreme amount of sugar that will cause a huge insulin spike and subsequent crash that will play havoc with your body but in a day I can't see it having an impact on your hair.

Are you stressed?

Fuzzypeggy Sun 17-Jul-16 18:58:54

I'm not sure that I agree that a smoothie made with the veg and fruit that op describes is an extreme amount of sugar. Carrot, beetroot, tomato, watermelon and cucumber doesn't contain a lot of sugar

Fuzzypeggy Sun 17-Jul-16 18:59:53

It's not like she said she was making it with banana pineapple Apple strawberries mango etc

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Sun 17-Jul-16 19:06:39

They're not going to have any overnight effect in either direction.

Have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?

LokisUnderpants Sun 17-Jul-16 19:24:38

Watermelon and carrots don't contain a lot of sugar? hmm

It's the stripping of the fibre that is necessary as it slows down the rate at which the sugar gets into your bloodstream. Juicing removes the fibre making it extremely easy to digest and get to the blood, spiking insulin. All veg container carbohydrates i.e. sugar.

Fuzzypeggy Sun 17-Jul-16 19:28:52

Yes I know that veg contains sugar but to say that a juice containing veg and fruit that the op mentions, is an extreme amount of sugar isn't right. I know sugar isn't great and we all eat too much of it, and that this is very easy to do if drinking fruit smoothies etc, but to frighten people off beetroot, carrots and tomato because of the sugar is silly. They are great foods with loads of nutrients, and yes, a bit of sugar. It's not like she's eating coco pops for breakfast.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Mon 18-Jul-16 00:15:36

*underpants - it could be pure sugar with trace vitamins and still wouldn't make hair fall out ouvernight.

lancerate12 Tue 19-Jul-16 07:14:17

Thank you for the replies. I am planning to have this juice for a week or two and see if the hairfall reduces..

lancerate12 Tue 19-Jul-16 07:39:22

Hi,
I just read an article where it says when we start doing juicing, there will be a bit of hairfall in the starting since the body gets rid of toxins and excess proteins but eventually the hair comes back once the body becomes alkaline. I hope this id the reason for the hairfall.
Does anyone have an idea if by juicing the acne scars becomes less visible?

CuttedUpPear Tue 19-Jul-16 07:47:06

I think the articles you are reading are a load of bunkum.

You can't make your body any more or less alkaline by any kind of diet.

Previous posters have given you good information, I think you should take it on board m

Ijustneedmycoffee Tue 19-Jul-16 07:49:32

Toxins?? What might they be???
No such thing. Or excess proteins.
One day of any diet will not do anything.

sparechange Tue 19-Jul-16 07:54:35

Step away from the wellness sites!
Juicing isn't magic. You might take on more vitamins if you previously had a poor diet, but it won't make any big difference to you unless you are radically overhauling the rest of your lifestyle at the same time (and even then, the juice won't be making this difference)

Enjoy your breakfast for what it is. Some mushed up veggies, not unicorn dust.

FeckinCrutches Tue 19-Jul-16 07:56:52

There is no way one day of juicing will cause hair loss. And it's not going to help with scars either. Where on earth are you reading this stuff?

Thomasthetank456 Tue 19-Jul-16 08:01:58

I don't know about the juicing but would expect it to take longer than a day. Have you been stressed or ill in the last 6 months. I was very ill over Christmas and I lost a lot of hair but didn't start until about 2/3 months after. Is all growing back now

ApocalypseNowt Tue 19-Jul-16 08:02:18

OP you're reading articles that are using 'sciency' words but are actually a pile of horse shit.

Please please stay away from those sort of sites. They are at best silly and at worst dangerous with the advice they give.

DurhamDurham Tue 19-Jul-16 08:07:57

We all lose hair, maybe you've just noticed a few strands as you're focused on it so much. I don't think anything you eat could make your hair fall out within 24 hours ( except plutonium but you're unlikely to have that in a smoothie grin ) it's just the natural shedding of hair.

PhloppysFonics Tue 19-Jul-16 08:57:31

The whole alkaline thing is rubbish. There's a programme on I player at the moment which is worth watching - it touches on this issue.

Its called Clean Eatings Dirty Secret.

I go through periods where I seem to lose more hair than others. Unless all you're consuming is juice then you don't need to worry.

Flisspaps Tue 19-Jul-16 09:03:45

Swap the picture of the 'cleansing pills' in this pic for juice, the effect is the same.

Juice will not detox you. Juice will not make your hair grow or fall out.

polyhymnia Tue 19-Jul-16 09:15:45

The articles like a lot of what purports to be 'science' is rubbish and not evidence based. What you ate and drank having an effect on hair in one day is impossible.

specialsubject Tue 19-Jul-16 09:18:14

Please Google 'detox sense about science' to explain why talk of detox, toxins and so is nonsense.

Eat food, using teeth.

polyhymnia Tue 19-Jul-16 09:20:33

I don't know what your purpose is in taking up this juicing for breakfast, but make sure it's based on proper science not rubbish. Of course eating plenty of veg is good but 'juicing' doesn't have magic powers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now