Talk

Advanced search

nail varnish novice

(17 Posts)
MrsPeel1 Sun 17-Jul-16 17:42:21

I am not allowed to wear nail varnish at work, so I thought I'd put some on as I'm on holiday. In fewer than 18 hours, it's really badly chipped and horrible. Could anyone recommend a non-chippy, not expensive nail varnish please? One that a novice with no patience or artistic ability could apply?

Loulou2kent Sun 17-Jul-16 17:44:06

Did you use a clear top coat? I find that always helps. Also there's a lot of gel style nail varnishes out at the moment & they seem to last longer. A good base coat 2 X colour & one top coat always looks best but that does take time & effort. Xx

LBOCS2 Sun 17-Jul-16 17:46:54

The topcoat is the important bit in my opinion. I use all sorts of varnish (including cheapies from Rimmel or Barry M) but I use the Sally Hansen top coat which keeps it there - I can do a week if I'm not doing bathtime or washing up!

Lots of people rate the Seche Vite but personally I'm not a fan.

Oh, and I do my nails an hour before bed so that I can get in and not chip them and they have time to 'set' overnight.

MrsPeel1 Sun 17-Jul-16 17:52:27

Top coat
Early night
Make DH do bath time.

Got it! Thank you.

BennyTheBall Sun 17-Jul-16 17:55:23

I am not a fan of Seche Vite as it peels off in one (satisfying) layer on me.

I like Essie nail varnishes.

Always use a base coat. I put 3 coats on plus the Essie top coat. Always lasts me a week. I only re-do it because I habitually do my nails once a week and I get a gap at the base from re-growth.

LBOCS2 Sun 17-Jul-16 18:20:49

Essie are my favourite varnishes too Benny but my favourite two colours are Rimmel and Barry M.

HmmmHashtag Sun 17-Jul-16 18:58:27

CND Vinylux top coat. It's brilliant.

FiaMarrow Sun 17-Jul-16 19:03:18

I love Rimmel nail varnish. They also do a "gel" version - it's essentially a duo pack of varnish plus gel top coat. I've had it on my toes for about a month! Never lasts that long on my hands though.

MrsPeel1 Sun 17-Jul-16 19:32:13

A duo pack sounds great. I'm a bit of a skinflint, so a two pack will feel like a bargain.

YorkieDorkie Sun 17-Jul-16 20:01:23

Seconding CND Vinylux top coat. It's UV activated so more sun exposure makes it harder smile usually last me 4-5 days.

Shop Sun 17-Jul-16 20:05:35

Do you use the Vinylux over normal polish?

FurryDogMother Sun 17-Jul-16 20:11:59

I've got some Vinylux actual polish, (sort of a metallic bronzy colour) which is the longest lasting polish I own, but have also had good results with Rimmel Salon Pro. OPI is the absolute best in terms of smooth coverage and failure to chip, plus I always use the Sally Hansen Insta-Dry top coat. I think it's better than Seche Vite, and tends not to go gloopy so quickly. I also use Nubar Foundation base coat most of the time (unless using a glitter, in which case I use the OPI Gliitter Off base). Hope that helps!

YorkieDorkie Sun 17-Jul-16 20:15:55

Vinylux is just regular polish (the gel kind). It's the sister product of shellac designed so that clients could buy the same colour as their shellac if they were going on holiday etc and it would match if they got a chip or lost a nail. No base coat needed, a huge range of colours and then just apply the top coat. It's pretty quick drying too.

JellyBellyKelly Sun 17-Jul-16 21:21:49

I use CND top coat over normal polish. Works brilliantly. Rock hard in under 10 mins ... No chips, lines or smudges and lasts days.

Ordered the Seche Vite today just to try it as have also heard good things about that.

LanaorAna1 Sun 17-Jul-16 22:09:10

I always find Essie chips in seconds.

For endurance, I do Revlon gel envy. And 3 strokes - middle, left, right. Never try to wriggle into the nail edges, it looks messy.

MrsPeel1 Thu 21-Jul-16 13:46:27

I went with the Rimmel one (all they had in the local chemist). Round two of project nail varnish has lasted 3 days, 2 kids baths, a full shed clear out and about a million hand washing. How has it taken 37 years to discover top coat!!

TeamEponine Thu 21-Jul-16 13:49:41

I love the Revlon fast drying top coat. It really does dry quickly and helps with keeping it shiny and chip free. I top up the top coat every morning, or every other morning, and it lasts a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now