city break hot weather tips

(21 Posts)
JackandDiane Sun 17-Jul-16 11:51:20

forecast is 31. Will be out on my feet all day. Can wear shorts and stuff and have Clarks Risi hop sandals. Just any other cooking tips please

JapanNextYear Sun 17-Jul-16 11:59:38

Cooking not so sure... But I find dresses and skirts easier in hot climates, get more airflow.

JackandDiane Sun 17-Jul-16 12:03:59

Lol. COOLING

JackandDiane Sun 17-Jul-16 12:04:29

I once had a maxi skirt. God it was hot. How people cope in them?!

MrsBertMacklin Sun 17-Jul-16 12:05:56

Buy a Spanish fan. Wish I had thought of this ten years earlier than I did, it's a the heat.

Hat with some sort of brim also fantastic.

Floisme Sun 17-Jul-16 12:52:39

We do this quite a lot and timing is everything. Depending on your body clock, either get out early and retreat when it becomes unbearable or don't start until late and then finish late. In the middle of the day, either go to a big museum/gallery and stay there or have very long lunches, somewhere interesting where you can watch the world go by and not feel you're wasting time.

Also drink lots of water and wear a hat, even if you feel like a tit.

Floisme Sun 17-Jul-16 12:54:48

Oh and cover up. I wouldn't wear shorts personally. Burned knees are hell.

We did this last year and doing it again this year.

Last year I took trainers (we walked miles), mini tube skirts and cotton t-shirts. I was too hot and felt scruffy (although my feet were very comfortable).

This year I'm planning on taking cotton sundresses and Clarks ugly sandals, plus the same trainers.

Long lunches and people watching = an excellent tip. Museums are usually air conditioned, so there's another great tip from Flo.

I felt too hot in a hat, and didn't end up wearing the one I'd taken with me. Highly recommend this stuff. It's only a tiny bottle so is easy to stick in your bag, and it's really good for cooling down face, wrists, back of neck etc.

Doobigetta Sun 17-Jul-16 16:11:23

Wearing a hat makes a massive difference. Definitely dresses rather than shorts. The old MN rule of natural fabrics- cotton and linen. I find sleeveless better than strappy (so arms out but shoulders and the top of your chest and back covered) easier as normal bras still work and there's less flesh out to worry about burning. Flat leather sandals. And try and get out of the habit of carrying a massive bag around- it makes a huge difference. Maxi dresses work well for the evenings and give your legs a bit of protection against bites.

JackandDiane Sun 17-Jul-16 16:53:39

i dont have dresses so that aint happening.

Ahh - I hadn't noticed that it was you! You have a million pairs of BR shorts, yep? Loose cotton camis. Comfortable shoes. Where are you going?

SwedishEdith Sun 17-Jul-16 16:58:02

Buy a Spanish fan

All late teens/earl y20s girls have these atm, Dresses (not maxi) best option for being cool.

JackandDiane Sun 17-Jul-16 17:14:22

tomorrow Lunnon, not abroad, but might as well be

DonkeyOaty Sun 17-Jul-16 17:39:45

Cross roads where practicable to walk in the shade

Yes to a

Water for slurping as you go

You are gonna get fried so slop on sunscreen - face obvs, pay attention to knees and tops of feet too

DonkeyOaty Sun 17-Jul-16 17:41:09

* to a hat

FreeButtonBee Sun 17-Jul-16 17:41:16

One of those Evian water sprays aerosol cans is VERY refreshing. I use em on the kids.

FreeButtonBee Sun 17-Jul-16 17:43:21

And do your ears and back of neck too.

I prefer shorts than dresses for daytime schlepping but I am a bit congenitally chubby of thigh

Avoid the tube would be my best piece of advice then. Too bloody hot. Makes me faint.

FreeButtonBee Sun 17-Jul-16 17:56:00

If you can fit in a walk along the river that will be a bit cooler (marginal! But every little helps)

Tanaqui Sun 17-Jul-16 18:17:55

Run your wrists under cold water whenever you wash your hands and let it Evaporate dry. Wear cotton undies!

JackandDiane Sun 17-Jul-16 18:57:24

spray is a good idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now