Talk

Advanced search

Ilse jacobsen coat - worth it?

(19 Posts)
ShyGirlie Sun 17-Jul-16 09:31:06

Fell in love with an Ilse Jacobsen 07 raincoat in a shop, but at almost £170 are they worth it?

Are they actually waterproof?
Do you think they look nice?
Are there ever any discount codes?

Any other info useful!

VairyVAIRYhungrycaterpillar Sun 17-Jul-16 10:57:58

I am bumping this for you as I want to know too.

ALSO: love that we're sort of talking about Autumn/winter now!

ALSO: what do we think about ilse Jacobsen BOOTS? On the search for good walking boots for deeply muddy area - local Pilates/physio who was treating me said she treats lots of people who have issues from continually walking in wellies even hunters which people think are fine because they're close fitting and, well, naice. Have seen the ilse boots, was considering it.

<comes to help OP, derails thread, goes off muttering>

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jul-16 11:05:02

My friend has one. It looks ok, it's not that waterproof. I'd rather spend that kind of money on something from Didriksons. Although I spent 1/4 of it in Joules' sale instead.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Sun 17-Jul-16 11:50:41

I have an Ilse Jacobsen coat, got it from Plumo 18 months ago. It looks great, has sealed stitches and so far hasn't let me down on the waterproof front although I haven't been out in a proper heavy downpour in it. The only thing is one of the poppers has come off so I will be complaining.

FrikkaDilla Sun 17-Jul-16 13:17:59

I bought an Ilse Jacobsen coat last year. I love the style and it is waterproof however I'm so disappointed in that I sweat so much in it. Surprised that the material is not breathable.

Bananajam Sun 17-Jul-16 14:09:59

I have Ilse Jacobsen boots, they've lasted a lot longer than the Joules boots (2 replacements bot sloot within 6 months). I like the look of them, they're comfortable and practical. I've never found a waterproof jacket that wasn't sweaty in humid rainy weather.

bigbuttons Sun 17-Jul-16 17:13:56

Friend of mine has one. It looks great on her. When I asked about it she said she liked it BUT had had to return it 2 times because the zips kept going. I have not read great things about the build quality which is awful considering the cost of the things.

FrikkaDilla Mon 18-Jul-16 08:27:36

Bananajam "I've never found a waterproof jacket that wasn't sweaty in humid rainy weather"

Goretex and other similar fabrics are fantastic for breathability - I'm a skier to know how comfortable jackets can be. I'm disappointed that my Ilse Jacobsen jacket wasn't manufactured to include one of these superior materials. For that reason I couldn't recommend the jacket.

ShyGirlie Mon 18-Jul-16 08:30:45

I'm loving the start of the A/W chat too, Vairy!

Hmmm mixed reports then, i thought the zip didn't feel great in the shop! Also, i really hate freling sweaty in a coat so that's a big consideration too! hmm Might just hold fire in the meantime then, as it's a lot of money for me.

burnishedsilver Mon 18-Jul-16 11:38:09

I'm really happy with mine. It is properly waterproof without adding bulk. The only thing I dont like is the hood. I'm considering having it altered. It's way too tall. I have to tie a scarf around the outside of the neck to pull it down a bit so I don't look like a smurf!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 18-Jul-16 11:41:37

I have IJ boots. I've just bought my second pair, after the old ones sprang a leak, but given that I'd worn them almost every day for 4 years, I don't mind. I wear arch supports in mine, as I was having problems with my feet from wearing wellies so much. Not had a problem since. And the boots are often admired.

I fancy an IJ raincoat too, so watching this with interest ...

FrikkaDilla Mon 18-Jul-16 22:43:17

BurnishedSilver - oh yes...the hood. Soooo big. For ages I thought I was missing a trick - there must be something there to make it sit properly. But no.

The sleeves are also very long - but great for me because I've got gorilla arms.

Love mine. Not sweaty. Fits well. No build quality issues.

BlueFolly Tue 19-Jul-16 00:00:45

I have a summer and a winter one. Wouldn't be without them!

Bananajam Wed 20-Jul-16 11:11:37

FrikkaDilla thanks - I'll look for those materials next time.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Thu 21-Jul-16 10:28:09

I'm considering one of these:

Uniqlo coat

I've been in, tried it on (several times!), like it, but can't decide on colour, so I haven't bought one!

Hopefully Thu 21-Jul-16 10:52:28

I've ordered and returned Ilse Jacobsen coats twice because I keep being suckered in by the styling, but I have been unimpressed at the fabric quality/appearance of general lack of robustness. I have a Protected Species waterproof for attempting to be stylish in and I LOVE it.

cressetmama Fri 22-Jul-16 20:51:42

I had some IJ wellies and they were comfortable and (IMO) very stylish but the soles didn't last well for my rough walking. When they had to be replaced, I bought some other wellies (Le Chameau) , with tractor tread soles. They have been good for walking for about four years, but I think the rubber is about to perish, so I shall be shopping again. I am quite fancying Dublin Bay, which are the cheap alternative to DuBarry (I suspect made by the same company).

Statelychangers Fri 22-Jul-16 22:22:38

I have the Uniqlo coat - it's great apart from the velcro which occasionally annoys me and snags my knitwear and other delicate fabric...with have referred snap buttons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now