Talk

Advanced search

Do you make an effort to dress up at work?

(5 Posts)
CoolToned Sat 16-Jul-16 22:19:33

I currently intern in an office environment and it seems there is no dress code. I was not told of a dress code when I started so I observed the employees.

Now, I am an intern and not an employee - is it ok to dress up like the employees (jeans, trainers, etc) or do I make an effort to dress up since I am an intern?

What do you think? I am of course more comfortable in jeans and trainers.

travailtotravel Sat 16-Jul-16 22:22:32

Take the advice to dress for the level of job you want seriously. It helps. I dress above everyone else - we're quite jeans and casual but I am usually dress/make-up etc and clearly dress a level above. I recently got a whopping promotion based on performance and merit but I really don't think making the effort hurts one bit.

Pinkerbeller Sat 16-Jul-16 22:23:46

Go with the culture but keep it classy. I always dressed for the job I wanted rather than the one I had until the wonder woman costume incident

elQuintoConyo Sat 16-Jul-16 22:36:18

I dress above. One colleague wears jeans and Gins n Roses tshirts, another wears hiking trousers with zips round the knees.

I dress simply and accessorize well (imho grin) . I also don't spend an awful lot of money on my clothes, just look after stuff well.

I find I'm taken more seriously as a result.

elQuintoConyo Sat 16-Jul-16 22:37:23

Pinkerbeller WonderWoman costume? Pray tell grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now