Talk

Advanced search

Process of elimination- skin care and new oily skin

(6 Posts)
U2HasTheEdge Thu 14-Jul-16 22:25:31

I had dry skin, so very dry that makeup was balling up.

So I went back to my acids I'm just using clearsil pads and nip and fab pads. I bought some Hydraulic acid from boots, some moisturiser from bare essentials called 'Butter Drench'. New products I've also been using is bare minerals powder and MUA cheap primer.

I now have the opposite problem, my skin is oily and shiny! One of the new products or a combination of them is obviously causing it. I let the products sink in before putting on my make-up and it takes about an hour for the oil to shine through and it is greasy to the touch.

What do you think the most likely culprit is? I am thinking the moisturiser as it has shea butter in it?

I know I will need to work that out by not using the products for a while and introducing them one by one but there are many knowledgeable skin care people here who might be able to spot the likely problem so it's worth an ask.

Carpaccio Fri 15-Jul-16 11:19:24

I think it sounds like you're being too harsh on your skin. You have dry skin, but use loads of harsh acids. Your skin is likely to react to that by producing more oil.

If I were you, I'd put the acids away.
Just use a basic cleanser and moisturiser - make it as simple as possible.

If you are not sure of the new moisturiser you mention, then test it out for a few days (without the acids), and if it works for you, then continue to use it. If it's awful, then use something else. I personally don't think shea butter is an issue - it is used in loads of moisturisers for the face.

Then gradually re-introduce the acids, but do keep in mind that you can over-use acids.

orangebird69 Fri 15-Jul-16 11:22:10

What are you cleansing with, the clearasil pads?

orangebird69 Fri 15-Jul-16 11:22:59

Stop using the moisturiser. Shea butter is no good for the face, far too rich.

Nabootique Fri 15-Jul-16 12:35:43

The acid pads aren't very strong so I doubt it's that. Most likely the moisturiser, or possibly the primer. I'm guessing the primer is a silicone heavy one. If I use one of those I turn into an oil slick.

Kennington Fri 15-Jul-16 12:46:50

Shea butter and anythig that says stearic acid will oil you up. Does me anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now