Need help putting an outfit together..help?!

(21 Posts)
Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jul-16 21:00:26

Hello all, I'm off to a family wedding, at a campsite/outdoorsy place, with my 15 month old who will probably smear me with something and want to be fed at some point during the day...I need a childproof outfit! I am desperately sleep deprived, very very tired and barely get a minute without the kids when I'm not at work so I need help as I can't think straight.
I like 50s stuff, have a mahoussive bust (42in) and relatively small waist (under 30inches) too scared to measure and a big tummy, so thought a full calf length skirt with some pattern plus a more fitted top would be nice, boob accessible if possible...

I like this skirt, what would you put with it? It's cheap but I can spend a bit more on a top if I can wear it again and I do already have about a million pairs of shoes, I have a nice pair of hot pink heels which might look nice and won't sink into grass either.

Because I'm short I do have the tendency to look dumpy and fat even though I'm fairly slim everywhere else, I am hoping not to look like a dogs dinner...

RickOShay Thu 14-Jul-16 21:41:09

I would wear a slim fitting Bardot top in a nougat colour with the skirt and pink heels. It would give you a waist and look dressed up. Hope you have a lovely time.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jul-16 22:02:56

I did think something like that...off the shoulder? It's just the bra strap thing, can be difficult to hide, I'm a 30hh-j cup so they're pretty substantial..

RickOShay Thu 14-Jul-16 22:30:05

I think you could if you found a decent bra, but I know what you mean, especially with a baby, you would constantly be hitching. I just think you need something quite slinky, and a t shirt perhaps isn't enough for a wedding. What about a dress?

Summer23 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:43:41

This top might work

m.johnlewis.com/coast-caster-top/p/2859488

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jul-16 23:02:01

I've got a few dresses, but my nicest is red, and the bridesmaids are wearing red..I've got a couple of 50s type dresses but I can't feed in them, I'm trying to avoid feeding during the day but would likea tge easy option to calm him etc

Like that top but maybe some thing more fitted at the waist?

RickOShay Thu 14-Jul-16 23:08:06

Ooh, I think this is a new dress opportunity here. I need dd to show me how to link again as I am so old and addled I keep forgetting, but I would choose something to go with the pink heels, and feed the baby by pulling down the top, rather than up, you could justify a new scarf as well.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jul-16 23:13:52

Over not worn dresses apart from at work for ages as it's tricky finding one I can pull down. Also a bit exposed. I do have lots of scarves.
I should just get him to stop feeding during the day really! But, last baby and all that...

salsamad Thu 14-Jul-16 23:38:59

Bravissimo do some lovely tops and dresses - their clothing range is called Pepperberry and is specifically made for women with bigger boobs. The sizes range from 8 to 18 but then each size comes in either curvy, really curvy or super curvy - depending on your cup size. This means you get a really good fit on your waist and across your bust without gapping or having to buy sizes that are too big just to accommodate your boobs.
Just go onto their website and choose the clothing tab on the top bar. The Crinkle Chiffon Top (PT493) is very pretty and looks like it would go beautifully with the skirt that you like. It's ecru/cream in colour and £45. There are some lovely dresses too - a lovely embroidered shift dress in yellow linen/cotton mix for £59 (PD560) or a dark French navy Spot Prom Dress which is lined with a netted under skirt for £79 (PD594)and they have some dresses with crossover tops that would probably be suitable for feeding eg Cherry Blossom Prom Dress £79 (PD562). Hope these help.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Fri 15-Jul-16 17:34:06

Thanks that is a great help, I'll take a look!

nilbyname Fri 15-Jul-16 17:37:00

I would wear a navy or white tailored buttoned shirt, undone to the décolletage, tucked in with the sleeves rolled up. Pink heels and a big clutch. Hair up.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Sat 16-Jul-16 07:56:19

Nice idea, thanks. Ive found some nice shirt type tops online and some crop tops which would just sit on the waistline I think.
Lots of ideas, best get looking!

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Sat 16-Jul-16 08:15:33

Would something like these work? Thinking I don't want jersey as not dressy enough, but a lot of wrap tops are chiffon and floaty, not fitted enough.
Like the idea of the last lace one but too fussy round the waist, would need to either end at the waist or be tucked in. I'm pretty good with a sewing machine though so could alter it maybe.

Love that skirt. I wouldn't go off the shoulder for a wedding. Maybe a white fitted cami and a fitted cropped pink cardigan?

Most of those tops are too fussy - I'd keep the top half simple and let the skirt speak for itself.

nilbyname Sat 16-Jul-16 15:50:54

I agree with Remus- keep it simple. I like my idea still of a crisp tailored shirt, no adornments, tucked in.

BananaChew Sat 16-Jul-16 16:18:01

I would wear a silky cami type top, and a nice pashmina type thing to cover your shoulders. The cami can be tucked in for the most part, but loosened to give boobs access. Pashmina will give you any feeding coverage you might want or need.

I think a crisp shirt tucked in, plus boobs plus breastfeeding = not likely to be terribly flattering or crisp for v long though, sadly. Otherwise agree it would look nice.

nilbyname Sat 16-Jul-16 22:26:33

Remus- yes you might be right.

A Cami too might work, but wouldn't allow for wider bra straps if you're big breasted?

I am a minute B and have all but forgotten my giant breastfeeding boobies!

Twinklestar2 Sat 16-Jul-16 23:25:01

I ordered this today to go with a full skirt. Tried it on and it was really flattering, even though I was reluctant to wear a bodysuit. Can be worn afterwards too. I wouldn't wear a shirt to a wedding, sorry.

Twinklestar2 Sat 16-Jul-16 23:25:35

http://m.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/cream-wrap-front-sleeveless-bodysuit-377366112?extcam=UKK_PPCPLAA_3773753CRR_86244612994DVV_mPPII_56972027105&tmcampid=155&tmad=c&tmplaceref=UKPPCC_PLA37737533_CR862446129944_DVmm_PPI56972027105&gclid=CNWGuPGC-c0CFQ8z0wodd_WoD9g

Not sure if that link worked so here it is again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now