Talk

Advanced search

Help! Iminent Florida work trip - I'm terrible in the heat - what to wear?

(13 Posts)
Bewildermum Thu 14-Jul-16 19:40:43

Our office wear is very casual - I'm normally to be found in jeans or skirts/dresses with opaque tights and boots. What should i wear to Florida? The office there is equally casual but I'm dreading being a red-faced, sweaty, crumpled mess....I'm rubbish with the heat.

Linen is too crumply - I don't know how to dress for the sun at all! Help please?

Ilikesweetpeas Thu 14-Jul-16 19:51:13

I expect the office will be cool because of the A / C. I've only ever been there on holiday but I would look for summery dresses (not linen) and nothing clingy!

SimplyNigella Thu 14-Jul-16 20:01:21

Remember that in Florida they are geared up for living and working in the heat so everywhere will be air conditioned.

I agree that linen can look scruffy so jersey, cotton or silk would work better. When I have work conferences abroad and have to look semi smart I go for jersey wrap dresses and low wedges, would something like that work?

pippinandtog Thu 14-Jul-16 20:51:46

I've only been on holiday there, not for work, but would echo what others have said about air conditioning: some places can be really quite cool indoors, so perhaps some light outer layers would be needed.

Bewildermum Thu 14-Jul-16 21:43:10

I'm going to have to fake-tan my legs aren't I....(they're Scottish blue) confused

amarmai Fri 15-Jul-16 12:47:36

J.Crew will outfit you perfectly.

retainertrainer Fri 15-Jul-16 13:04:29

What about maxi dresses? No need to worry about your legs but you'll look cool and smart.

retainertrainer Fri 15-Jul-16 13:06:36

Something like this:

CodewordRochambeau Fri 15-Jul-16 20:23:54

It will be hot and humid outdoors but freezing in the office. Take cardis.

Nettletheelf Sat 16-Jul-16 08:07:14

Yes, bite the bullet and fake tan your legs (mine are like yours). It opens up the outfit options.

On another thread, about a poster going to India an a work trip, somebody recommended sports bras in wicking fabric instead of a normal bra, to avoid bra-shaped sweat patterns. Genius.

UnikittyInHerBusinessSuit Sat 16-Jul-16 08:16:23

Take smart cardigans which you can wear in the air conditioning. If you dress for outside in sleeveless dresses and sandals but don't have anything to layer up when you go indoors then you will get pneumonia.

ScarlettDarling Sat 16-Jul-16 08:21:14

Have you tried Sally Hansen airbrush legs ? It's a spray on fake tan and it's brilliant, impossible to go wrong with it. It washes off in the shower but would be fine if you're caught in rain. It takes less than a minute to apply and gives a lovely, natural colour. It also covers broken veins etc really well. St. Tropez do a similar one but I prefer Sally Hansen.

eurochick Sat 16-Jul-16 08:21:44

I recommend sleeveless tailored dresses with cardigans/jackets for the air conditioned areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now