Talk

Advanced search

Tights and boots in July???

(38 Posts)
polybottle Wed 13-Jul-16 21:29:58

Is it just that I'm noticing more or is it a change in fashion sense (or are more women skint and not buying new outfits) - loads of women where I work have not stopped wearing their 40D opaques and boots when spring came this year. Down town Bristol and on the train, it is the same - even in July.
Is such an outfit really year round and fashionable?

TipBoov Wed 13-Jul-16 21:32:25

The weather probably has a lot to do with it - no point in wearing sandals and bare legs if it's chucking it down!

kelper Wed 13-Jul-16 21:40:15

I've been in jeans and boots today, I did wear a skirt last week but I had tights on! Its not sandals weather here sadly sad

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 13-Jul-16 22:06:26

I couldn't. I just can't wear opaque tights or boots in the summer, no matter how shit the weather.

I wear trainers and bare legs, even when it's pissing down. I know I'll never get that cold.

Celticlassie Wed 13-Jul-16 22:17:19

I don't. I love when I can ditch my tights and boots for the summer. If it's cold I wear trousers but never wear tights in summer.

ChishandFips33 Thu 14-Jul-16 00:20:55

I don't see tights as anything different to wearing jeggings/skinnies/jeans - I only stutter when I really want to wear a particular skirt I wear grey tights with but mine are thermal!!
anyone know where sells 100+denier grey tights?

lyraj Thu 14-Jul-16 00:57:17

Thin tights and ballet flats or sandals here. Though I was wearing nude tights and wellies this afternoon (torrential rain)

apatheticfallacy Thu 14-Jul-16 01:08:15

The weather doesn't seem to be aware it's July... So why not dress for the weather we're having instead of the weather we'd like?

MummySparkle Thu 14-Jul-16 01:08:18

I'm still wearing thick black tights, I would wear nude ones, but I keep forgetting to buy any. Not sure I'd wear boots with tights in the summer. Mostly in ballet pumps when I've got dresses on, or Birkenstocks if I'm wearing trousers / leggings. I did wear my DM boots today though because the weather has been so miserable and I didn't want to get wet feet!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 14-Jul-16 10:37:39

Personally I feel like my legs will get wet in tights or bare, what's the point of wearing another layer which will just be clammy when I get inside? It's July, I know I'm never going to get cold enough to need the extra layer.

specialsubject Thu 14-Jul-16 11:54:09

dressing for the calendar rather than the weather is a little bit silly.

few things look dafter than a fashion victim, in tiny clothes, goose-pimpled legs, ickle ballet flats and so on in the pouring rain!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 14-Jul-16 12:05:48

Disagree.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 14-Jul-16 12:06:39

I'm only talking about the tights though. You can dress for rain and bad weather and still not be dressing for cold weather.

lyraj Thu 14-Jul-16 13:27:49

I'd prefer to go bare-legged but it's too chilly at the moment.

nickEcave Thu 14-Jul-16 16:13:18

I can't bear the feel of tights in the summer. Even if it's chilly/wet in the morning, if the sun comes out in the afternoon it can suddenly get hot. If it's a wet or miserable day I wear 7/8 trousers with brogues instead of skirts/dresses.

MarieJeanne Thu 14-Jul-16 16:18:32

I put my boots and tights away in April and don't get them out until October no matter the weather. If it's chilly I just wear trousers/jeans and loafers or converse.

Maybebabybee Thu 14-Jul-16 16:19:40

It's way too warm for tights and boots IMO, even when it's 18 degrees and cloudy I'd be boiling wearing that.

Fuzzypeggy Thu 14-Jul-16 16:23:09

I would never wear black tights in summer. Whilst it may not be very warm, black tights to me are a winter item and I would feel silly wearing them in the summer. I do dress weather appropriately though, trousers and closed shoes or trainers if it's cold or wet in the summer. But wearing black tights in the summer would be like wearing a woolly scarf, all wrong. Specials Subject, I don't think anyone is saying they wear proper summer skimpy clothes in summer when it's cold, just that they don't like wearing clothes designed for winter

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 15-Jul-16 14:06:12

I'm so glad some people agree with me! envy

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 15-Jul-16 14:06:25

Or grin as the should have been

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 15-Jul-16 14:10:31

I'm wearing black opaque tights today. It's not warm enough for bare legs. I don't care if fashion dictates otherwise.

EDisFunny Fri 15-Jul-16 14:11:01

dressing for the calendar rather than the weather is a little bit silly

This

Lottapianos Fri 15-Jul-16 14:46:11

I do agree that you should dress for the weather rather than the calendar. I watch the weather forecast like a hawk every evening so I know what to wear the next day. I know some people who get into their summer clothes in June and absolutely refuse to get out of them until at least October, even if its 12 degrees and pouring rain - they end up looking miserable and freezing!

On the other hand, its a pretty sticky 22 here in London today and I have seen ladies in tights and even a bloke in a North Face (puffy, down-filled, super-warm) jacket on the bus!

Doobigetta Fri 15-Jul-16 18:12:53

You can dress for rain and bad weather and still not be dressing for cold weather.

^^
This

gracienine Fri 15-Jul-16 18:27:27

Maybe they don't care if it's fashionable or not and are just wearing what they want?

I'm still wearing black tights. I like them, i feel more appropriate for the office in them, I have to worry less about the wind blowing my skirt up, I hate trousers, and it's still not really that warm!

Couldn't care less if people are aghast at my unfashionable-ness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now