We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going from very dark to blonde

(8 Posts)
scater Wed 13-Jul-16 13:43:10

So, I currently have my hair dyed very dark (midnight red by Schwarzkopf) for two reasons I think I need to go blondeish:

1. They've stopped making that colour and I don't like any others as they are either too orange or too purple.

2. I'm getting a good few grey hairs now (37) and I'm having to dye every four weeks.

Any tips and recommendations on how to go about this if I'm doing it myself?

I'm too skint and busy to go to a salon, I have toddler twins and a full time stressful job. I need to be able to do it myself without it being too difficult.

For info- natural colour is a mid brown and my skin tone is pale, verging on pallid due to lack of sleep.confused

Thanks in advance for any tips and ideas.

lisaneedsarest Wed 13-Jul-16 13:45:49

Be careful going blonde yourself, they can go very yellow/orange especially if you are already red.
If you have to do it yourself get gradually lighter, only pick ash tones and get a purple shampoo...

DerelictMyBalls Wed 13-Jul-16 14:22:24

I really wouldn't recommend doing something as drastic as going from dark red to blonde by yourself.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 13-Jul-16 15:33:35

You'd need to strip your hair of the dark red first using a colour remover like Colour B4 and then use a light ash toned blonde dye. It's possible but you'll have to do it over several days.

EttaJ Wed 13-Jul-16 15:40:10

I advise against doing it yourself . Always leave blonde to the professionals. If you don't want odd looking and damaged hair.

JamieVardysParty Wed 13-Jul-16 16:48:37

Do you have any local colleges with hairdressing courses? They often need models etc and will do it at a discounted rate with the course leaders keeping an eye & watching step by step. Same with some salons which are training academies.

My sister went from black to caramel blonde in 3 goes at a college - cost her £35 in total and it looks brilliant and way more expensive than it was.

Truckingalong Wed 13-Jul-16 18:01:35

Olaplex helps to get you from dark to blonde without destroying your hair. Salon treatment only though.

scater Wed 13-Jul-16 18:11:08

Thanks you're all telling me what I knew in my heartsadthink I'm going to have to suck it up and use a hairdresser!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now