Are these shoes suitable for an interview.

(18 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Jul-16 11:27:29

Currently SAHM looking to go back to work, I have a few jobs I am in the process of applying for. I know I'm not guaranteed to get an interview for any of them, but I realised I have no suitable shoes at all. I'm also very fussy and take forever to decide on shoes so I'm searching now!

I have just bought these Clarks shoes, https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/s/ladies/heeled-shoes/clarks-heeled-shoes-velcro-fastner-shoe-2612203911 I'm not brilliant with heels but wanted something with some height incase I wear a dress or a skirt. Are they too casual? The job's I'm currently applying for include various admin jobs some receptionists posts and some medical receptionist posts also.

Hagothehills Tue 12-Jul-16 12:23:58

They're lovely (I was actually eyeing them wistfully last night!) I'd say they'd probably be fine, they black leather, smart and not a really out there design.

ellie264 Tue 12-Jul-16 16:59:41

They're definitely smart and appropriate for the type of job you are after, and I expect they will go with most dresses or trousers.

MoreGilmoreGirls Tue 12-Jul-16 17:02:42

Sorry I'm going to say they are too casual for job interviews. Find for day to day wear.

Diddlydokey Tue 12-Jul-16 17:07:07

The heel is casual.

m.dorothyperkins.com/h5/product?productId=25428924

DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Jul-16 20:07:19

Hmm you see I did think the heel might be too casual, but even though I like the ones that diddly has linked, they would be incredibly uncomfortable for me and I would look really silly walking in them - which would be worse than too casual shoes I think.

I'm actually struggling to find something reasonably priced and comfortable and smart. There were several other pairs in Clarks today (all in the sale) but they were all a suede type fabric so looked more evening wear rather than interview suitable.

DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Jul-16 20:09:19

I certainly wouldn't wear anything like that during the day either though, I either wear trainers, sandals or boots. So pretty smart for me!

SirChenjin Tue 12-Jul-16 20:13:05

Most interviewers won't look too carefully at your shoes. Providing your clothes, hair etc is smart they won't register more than 'black leather shoes', if indeed they look downwards at all. Good luck!!

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 12-Jul-16 20:13:40

Suede would be fine for an interview, in fact I have worn black suede Clarks high heeled pumps for an interview before and got the job (sales/account management job so appearance was a factor)

The shoes you linked to are a little bit too casual in my opinion OP, sorry

Believeitornot Tue 12-Jul-16 20:14:08

A bit casual although depends on the job really

Believeitornot Tue 12-Jul-16 20:17:19

these
or these

hairycatmum Tue 12-Jul-16 20:18:32

They are quite casual, but I think an interviewer would be looking at you as an overall package-they are sensible and comfortable looking, they wouldn't be wanting someone tottering around on 6 inch stilletto heels. As long as you look smart, approachable and presentable overall that the main thing-as a receptionist you will be the forward face of the company,

NoCapes Tue 12-Jul-16 20:19:42

I don't think they're too casual
But I do think they're bloody awful! Can't believe you've spent upwards of £40 on them shock

hairycatmum Tue 12-Jul-16 20:39:07

I went to my last interview in a pair of Clarkes Hamble Oak-flat lace-up brogues. The most comfortable shoes ever made!

Exploretheunexplored23 Tue 12-Jul-16 21:04:31

Business in the front, party in the back! I would wear them for an interview.

Best of luck

DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Jul-16 21:15:54

Well they were only £22 so not expensive at all and so comfortable! I like the style they're far more me than a pair of stilletos. I think I'm keeping them, you can't see the wedge part from the front anyway.

For the type of role your going for they are fine & these are the type of roles that I conduct interviews for

UnikittyInHerBusinessSuit Tue 12-Jul-16 21:34:51

I really like them for casual wear. I'd say they're too casual for interview at my work, which is very formal, but maybe OK for the jobs you're going for, (unless it's Harley Street).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now