Hair extension disaster

(15 Posts)
onedayatatime73 Tue 12-Jul-16 09:06:55

I have had hair extensions for about 15 years. Always kept them in good condition, frequently replaced and they gave my fine, lifeless hair much needed length and volume.

I recently noticed they were pulling my hair so had them replaced with the "much kinder" tape in variety. Over the last week they have pulled out massive clumps of hair and left bald patches. Am devastated.

Obviously I need to go extension free for a while (for life?) but can anyone please advise on anything (supplements? Shampoo) that will help my hair grow faster and thicker. My hair grows soooo slowly so am really upset that I look like this. Please help. Am desperate. And any suggestions of acceptable hair bands for a woman in her forties??

MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Tue 12-Jul-16 09:17:14

I had hair extensions in about 15 years ago in my mid 20s and they pulled clumps of my hair out. I had my hair cut short (it had been in a mid length bob and I wore mermaid length extensions) and made sure I had a good multivitamin. Later on, after I stopped b/f my youngest my hair thinned out a bit, I recommend the Pregnacare New Mum ones - as they have horsetail extract - I think it's known as silica - I can't 100% say for sure but I reckon this has helped my hair grow thick and strong. I wouldn't use extensions if you want really healthy hair.

fuckingfendt Tue 12-Jul-16 09:39:25

I've been there too. I should have cut my hair short but my hair grew so slowly like yours that I couldn't face it. In the end I just put up with thin hair for a few months (swapping parting occasionally, stopped using heat whenever possible, used lots of conditioning products) and it did eventually thicken up again.

Are you on the pill by any chance? I was on it for 10 years and since I've been off it (since Jan) my hair has grown at lightening speed.

onedayatatime73 Tue 12-Jul-16 09:44:23

No not on the pill. Have just ordered an obscene amount of supplements. So wish I had never had extensions put in

fuckingfendt Tue 12-Jul-16 09:50:50

I found it was really the breakthrough I needed to get me out of the habit of extensions though. I'd still be forking out for them now had I not had a bad experience, and would never have enjoyed healthy hair.

onedayatatime73 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:17:03

How long did it take for your hair to look normal again? And what did you say when people asked? I think people will think I am ill! I didn't tell people I had extensions in the first place.

fuckingfendt Tue 12-Jul-16 11:41:57

I'd say it was about three or four months to look normal enough, but a lot longer for it to look thick and healthy. I was also very stressed at the time though so that may have made it take longer.
Nobody commented at all unless I initiated the conversation about how rubbish I felt about it. Everybody knew I wore extensions though, and knew I'd taken them out, so perhaps thought that's what my hair usually looked like. I think your best bet will be to cut it short so people will think all that length/thickness from extensions has been cut rather than it not being your hair in the first place.

I remember reading that garlic helped hair growth, and crushed a clove on nearly every meal! Also massaging the scalp with an electric toothbrush. No idea if any of it made a blind bit of difference, but I at least felt like I was doing something to fix it. I really feel for you, but remember it will feel so much worse to you than it looks to other people.

This all happened to me around 2013/2014 and my hair is long and thick now, if that's any consolation!

fuckingfendt Tue 12-Jul-16 11:50:24

I've just had a flick through of photos and have remembered that I also dyed my hair brown (I'm naturally blonde/mousy) as for some reason the darker colour made it look like there was more hair there. Again, probably stupid as that would have damaged hair too. I do think it made it look more intentional though rather than like my hair had fallen out overnight

onedayatatime73 Tue 12-Jul-16 22:20:00

Thank you that has given me hope. Feel so down and self conscious. Wish I had never had them in the first place.

Pisssssedofff Tue 12-Jul-16 22:35:27

Well you've just saved me from having them, I was seriously considering micro beads but i think I'll order clip ins instead, would that work for you ?

onedayatatime73 Thu 14-Jul-16 13:55:21

I now don't have enough hair to clip anything to sadly. Chunks of it has come out. Clip ins will be fine if they are for occasional wear. Just don't wear them to bed. That's how the tape ones were ripped out of my head.

strongswans Thu 14-Jul-16 14:34:01

Have you tried halo hair extensions op? They aren't actual permanent extensions, the hair is in a plastic wire that sits round your head like a halo and you just flip it in/ when you want to? Sounds like the might be good for what you need now. I used one for a while when my hair was very thin.

Pisssssedofff Thu 14-Jul-16 15:05:35

I've got the halo ones, curly and straight I think they look really fake, find in photos but obvious in real life.
One day, I'd seriously recommend a bottle of olaplex and the salon treatment if you can, stop sny more breakage

onedayatatime73 Thu 14-Jul-16 15:47:21

I have just googled them strongswans. Look amazing but the few reviews on Amazon are terrible. Have you used them?

If its really bad would you consider a wig? My hair was really thin and patchy due to stress based alopecia a few years ago but I think wearing a wig helped it recover as it meant I wasn't styling my own hair day to day so it got a break

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now