Talk

Advanced search

Invisalign or veneers anyone?

(21 Posts)
orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 11-Jul-16 17:33:05

I'm thinking of having my lower 4 teeth which are overcrowding each other (not massively) moved back into place.

My options seem to be veneers, invisalign or removing some teeth.

Does anyone have experiences to share/advice/things I should think about?

AveEldon Mon 11-Jul-16 17:35:47

Veneers will need replacing every 10 years (approx.)

orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 11-Jul-16 17:58:35

Thanks Eldon yes I have heard that and the filing teeth thing does not sound pleasant! Have you had yours done?

Jecan Mon 11-Jul-16 18:02:35

I'm 2/3 of the way through Invisalign type treatment (just using a different company). I'm really pleased with the results so far and it's been 90% painless. There are a couple of days when I get a new set that they feel a bit sore and are uncomfortable to bite in to things but the rest of the time I often forget I've got them in.
BUT you need to wear them nearly all day and night which really cuts down on how much you eat as you need to brush your teeth afterwards and more importantly it's cut into my enjoying a few glasses of wine at the weekend. But it'll be worth it for straight teeth.

orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 11-Jul-16 18:07:55

Jecan do you mind me asking what company you are using? I'm keen to have all the options before I financially commit to any particular course of action smile

Also how long are you going to be using the treatment and how much is it costing you?

retainertrainer Mon 11-Jul-16 18:29:57

I had ceramic braces and had IPR (teeth filing) to make some room. It was absolutely fine,completely painless. I wouldn't go down the veneer route.

Jecan Mon 11-Jul-16 18:55:20

They're called Orthocaps - I have softer day braces & more firm night ones and I get a new set every 3 weeks. The orthodontis said it would be 3000€ in total and we paid half of that upfront to Orthocaps. The rest is a bit to the orthodontist himself (altho I'm in and out in 5 mins) and the retainer at the end.

Jecan Mon 11-Jul-16 18:56:43

I have had them for just over a year already and will be finished by January so 20 months in total but my upper teeth were quite badly out of alignment.

AveEldon Mon 11-Jul-16 18:58:12

I have had the proper train track metal braces
It's not a superquick option but it has worked very well

witsender Mon 11-Jul-16 19:10:33

What sort of prices are we talking?

zeddybrek Mon 11-Jul-16 19:12:50

I had invisalign for something similar. Overcrowding teeth. Had it done 4 years ago and now I just wear the aligners at night 3 or 4 times a week and my teeth haven't moved. Expensive but worth it for a long term solution. Highly recommend it.

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Mon 11-Jul-16 19:14:37

I had Invisalign. In my experience it wasn't as good as braces but it was good enough smile. I now have permanent retainers behind my upper and lower teeth.

Karcheer Mon 11-Jul-16 19:47:46

I spoke to my dentist about Invisalign and she said once your teeth are in place you still have to wear them as you teeth can move back. That really put me off.

orangeistheonlyfruit Tue 12-Jul-16 08:15:05

Thanks for all your posts smile I will go and see an Invisalign person that my dentist recommends and see what they say. The overcrowding is not that bad but I suppose it's something that annoys me a bit since I used to have perfect teeth.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Tue 12-Jul-16 08:26:10

I was unhappy with the position of my fangs canines and got veneers, on those two teeth only, 15 years ago.

They've been great. I've looked after them ( cleaning, not biting them down on carrots, toffees, etc) and they still look and feel great. I hope I'm not tempting fate but I can't see them failing any time soon.

Kirriemuir Tue 12-Jul-16 08:48:45

Have a look at an Inman aligner.

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Tue 12-Jul-16 17:27:58

I had an inman aligner which did work but wasn't amazing and then I moved and lost the retainer (you need to wear a retainer every day or they go crooked again) and they started moving back. I got my top teeth replaced with veneers and I've never looked back. The aligners are temporary in my view. You can get veneers for a fraction of the cost abroad if you're interested - mine were about 4k (in Dubai) and my aligner cost me about 2k. Wish I hadn't bothered with it now as veneers are way better. Process takes two weeks.

orangeistheonlyfruit Wed 13-Jul-16 08:41:03

timefortea how many teeth did you have veneered?

Kirriemuir Wed 13-Jul-16 11:51:32

That's a shame. After my Inman I was fitted with a fixed retainer. Delighted with my results.

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 18-Jul-16 07:35:39

Sorry for the delay - I had the front eight done on the top row. They made a mould of my teeth and made me temporaries while the veneers were made. There was a bit of filing done but only around a millimetre on my teeth to allow the veneers to fit better. It didn't hurt but I was glad when it was over (no one likes the dentist I guess!)

Happy with the results - I went quite natural and didn't go Hollywood white as didn't want them to be too obvious. Really confident with my smile now and at least I know they are finally straight and won't move. Hope that helps!

ellenwright130 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:16:07

I go with Porcelain Veneer it is because " Porcelain is the material of choice because it most naturally replicates human enamel. " sources says: s very much like a contact lens. It is an extremely thin sheet of porcelain that bonds to the front of your tooth. They are used to change the shape, color, size, and symmetry of the teeth and smile. The porcelain is very, very thin, on the order of 0.3 mm, about the thickness of a business card. " Article: atlantadentalspa.com/porcelain-veneers.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now