Talk

Advanced search

Family photoshoot - clothes and make-up help

(12 Posts)
Mawsymoo Sun 10-Jul-16 13:17:50

We are having a family photoshoot in 3 weeks - the focus will be on the kids but I want to get a few with me and DH in them too. Neither DH nor I would be very comfortable in front of a camera so I'm a bit nervous already.

It'll be up to me to pick clothes for everyone and I don't know where to start. I don't want the photos to look dated in 5 years time. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It's me, DH, DS1 (2yo) and DS2 (6 months old).

Also I'm wondering about make-up for me - I usually wear very little except for special occasions - are there any dos and don'ts I should know about?

BawbagBiggins Sun 10-Jul-16 13:25:17

Clothes wise, keep it simple, one key colour running through everybody's wardrobe works well. So for instance - if everyone was dressed in shades of blue and white with an item in an accent colour (red flower in hair/ red tie/ red braces for example),go for plain clothes, no heavy/bold patterns or bright logos. Try Pinterest for some great wardrobe ideas.
As for make up, keep it very simple. If you don't usually wear much keep it that way with maybe a little heavier accent on the eyes. Has your pphotographer not advised you on this - if you call them they will usually take you through it and offer you advise as they are more likely to know what suits their lighting/background set ups

CaitAgusMadra Sun 10-Jul-16 13:26:21

I've been thinking about getting this done too.

Clothes i don't like the everyone in the same outfit (eg white t-shirt/ jeans). I think it looks twee.

I would go for plain coloured clothes like a sweater or t-shirt for kids and adults. I think pattern or print will date more.

Make up I would keep it natural. So a good base, blusher, define eyebrows (mine are v pale), mascara for definition

CaitAgusMadra Sun 10-Jul-16 13:27:29

X post

Buggers Sun 10-Jul-16 13:30:55

If your planning to have a photo of the four of your and neither your or dh are that comfortable in front of the camera I'd say to have darker/plainer clothing for you and dh then put dc in brighter colours so the main focus of photo will be the dc.

trufflesnout Sun 10-Jul-16 13:41:47

TBH the style of photography will probably date it more readily than what you're wearing. Don't go for anything that crops up in photography trends like accent colours or all wearing different shades of one colour or girls in pink and boys in blue (you get the gist I'm sure). Stay away from heavy clothing - it looks odd when people wear jumpers or sweaters for these things (I think because it was a trend in the noughties maybe? and it's already started to date).

Wear what you normally wear but make sure it's well cut. Perhaps steer away from wearing jeans as the cuts/colours date as they cycle through being fashionable. Remember that your make up will look different on-camera than it does in real life (it will look less heavy on camera).

CointreauVersial Sun 10-Jul-16 13:57:52

Make-up - don't wear any "illuminating" or light-reflecting foundation or powder because it reflects the flash and you'll look very.....umm, illuminated.

Whatever you wear, it'll date, to be honest. We have a fine set of photos from the late 90s; I'm sporting a lilac suit and a mullet; DH is in atrocious glasses. Best to wear something you feel confident and attractive in, because that will show on camera.

Mawsymoo Sun 10-Jul-16 18:17:58

Thanks for the tips. I am due to talk to the photographer before the shoot.but I might try to move that forward as I'd like to get outfits sorted. My DH has a light blue shirt that really suits him so I may try to stick to blue/navy/white/grey as a "theme"

evelynj Sun 10-Jul-16 23:51:51

I think as long as the colours harmonise together you'll be grand, think Monotone, also a bit heavier make up-do a trial run & take some photos on phone/iPad etc so you can review. I'm super pale so need defined brows, eyeliner & lipstick so I don't look dead! Try to enjoy it & get some candid shots that look like they've got a moment rather than all set up

hollinhurst84 Mon 11-Jul-16 00:08:08

No makeup with SPF as it gives flash back
Go for heavier than usual makeup, it takes more on camera

Featherstep Mon 11-Jul-16 00:13:10

We recently did this and the photographer advised we all dress in light neutral shades like cream, beige, pale blue. She said no stripes or logos or bright patterns so that the focus is on the faces, not the clothes. I found that really good advice. Good photos should draw the eyes to the faces, not to what the people are wearing!

For what it's worth I wore a cream blouse and jeans and DH wore a pale blue dress shirt. I tried on a dress but decided jeans was much more comfy and gave a more relaxed everyday look.

For make up just do 'your face but better' - so no bold lipstick or heavy eyeshadow etc, a natural look is best.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 11-Jul-16 00:17:02

We were told no stripes or big logos and to wear brighter colors as there was a white backdrop. Dds took fairy dresses and tiaras to change into and had pics done with just them as well as the family ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now