Talk

Advanced search

Cotton exercise wear

(14 Posts)
ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 09-Jul-16 20:43:54

I need leggings/some sort of bottoms, and tops, as I've finally started going to the gym regularly. But I can't wear polyester; it makes me itch and, at worst, gives me a rash. I currently have trackie bottoms from Bam but they're a bit baggy. Everything seems to be made of this 'wicking' fabric, aka the dreaded polyester.
I won't wear black, or go-faster stripes, anything that draws attention to my lower half (am 53), and I'm slim but have big boobs so nothing high-necked. Any genius ideas?

JoeMaplin Sun 10-Jul-16 08:16:35

I was going to suggest BAM. I have the thicker leggings from there, definitely not baggy and feel really comfy for exercise.

elliefredericksen Sun 10-Jul-16 08:31:24

Marks and spencer have cotton rich active wear (which is what I googled)

Alright they are black:
www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-rich-quick-dry-leggings-with-staynew/p/p22464155?image=SD_02_T51_3629_Y4_X_EC_90&color=BLACKMIX&prevPage=plp

www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-rich-cropped-joggers/p/p22445984?image=SD_01_T41_6596R_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=plp

Problem is, it's the wicking fabric which will draw away the sweat from your skin and make exercising more comfortable. Cotton is just going to soak it up, and if it's not black, you'll end up with a wet groin area, under arms, chest etc...well I would anway!

elliefredericksen Sun 10-Jul-16 08:32:21

I meant you'll have visible sweat patches, actually even with black fabric sometimes.

Playduh Sun 10-Jul-16 08:40:34

Sainsburys do a 95/5 cotton elastase high waist legging for about £8 a go. I love them.

I'm the same as you and hate polyester.

Also Uniqlo do a decent range of cotton / cotton elastase basics that should do the job. Good prices too.

Playduh Sun 10-Jul-16 08:41:53

I sweat like a pig too. On the bottoms is rich to black but stopped worry about sweat on the top. I don't smell and it shows how hard I'm working grin

Playduh Sun 10-Jul-16 08:42:17

Is rich? I stick!

PhyllisWig Sun 10-Jul-16 08:45:57

I feel your pain - I have some polyester running leggings that I wear that I loathe the feeling of.

I managed to get some non wicking ones from Tesco the other day. am not sure of the exact fabric composition and can't find them on the website to link to but they were jersey type material like yoga pants. The yoga pants on the Tesco website are cotton rich so hopefully the same material but these were cropped leggings. They have a lovely thick waistband too and were 12 quid.

They do feel rather yuck at the end of a run and I have to peel them off but I have real sensory issues with stuff covering my legs so I'd rather wear these and feel horrid at the end than have to grit my teeth all the way through a run.

eurochick Sun 10-Jul-16 08:49:43

Why no black? A lot of exercise basics are black.

GreenSand Sun 10-Jul-16 08:55:41

Anything [[http://bambooclothing.co.uk/category/mid-womens-bamboo-bottoms here?]!

Bamboo is like cotton. There are some go faster stripes, but pretty subtle.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 10-Jul-16 08:59:31

Thanks; might actually try those black ones as they don't look tight. Which Bam ones do you mean, Joe?
Re. the sweating: I don't, really, since I'm there doing rehab for my shoulder rather than pounding the treadmill or rower. I do several weight circuits and go! But even if I did, I'd rather have sweat patches than the permanent itchy red rash I get if I wear polyester for too long.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 10-Jul-16 09:06:45

Oh new posts! Eorochick, I just don't like the look of black next to my skin, but, on the basis that comfort and fit are probably more important, will order the Marks ones to compare.
Will def try Uniqlo & the supermarkets, thanks all. Greensand, Bam (which is where my joggers come from) is Bamboo Clothing, confusingly; they updated their name recently. Have you tried any of their tops?

burnishedsilver Sun 10-Jul-16 09:35:24

Have you actually tried the wicking fabric? I avoided it for a long time because I hate synthetics and always favour cotton. When I finally gave in and tried nike dry fit fabric I couldn't believe the difference. Much to my surprise, by comparison cotton is horrible to exercise in.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 10-Jul-16 09:36:48

I think the top I currently wear is wicking. Makes me itch all over. Will check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now