Talk

Advanced search

Acrylic Nails - the Good,the Bad, the Ugly

(4 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 09-Jul-16 19:48:19

Not for me, I cannot wear nail products at work. My nail maintainance is limited to a brush of Avoplex Oil and if I'm on holiday , some Nail Envy <<sigh>>

My DD (14) usually wears adhesive nails but she has very petite nails so it's only the XS French ones that fit her (I can't wear the remaining ones , they are too short for me)
And, they keep pinging off hmm

So, she wants acrylics for the School Holidays.
She knows she'll need to look after them (^Jewells Not Tools^ ) and get infills when they grow,
And they'll affect her real nails but she will keep them short when she goes back to school.

So- will a salon put Acrylic nails on her?
How long do they last generally?
Do they have normal nail varnish or the LED/UV nail polish?

Whats the difference between Acrylic and Powder?

TIA (I am clueless blush )

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 10-Jul-16 10:18:44

<<Bump>> before I slip off Page 1

Bananajam Sun 10-Jul-16 10:43:50

From my very limited knowledge I get gel polish ( powder) on my own nails, they grow strong and long and are very tough with it on. A good salon will not file the nail and although they're slightly weaker underneath, they're more protected than with acrylics. She can have that done. My DD (23) has acrylics with gel polish, they last about 3 weeks and by the end of it are very long pointy nails. I have seen younger girls in the salon but not as young as your DD.

Exploretheunexplored23 Sun 10-Jul-16 10:54:03

I would recommend gel nails over acrylics too, sometimes acrylics can be a little sore to get removed and can look unsightly if one falls off or breaks. Shellac is like an extra durable nail polish you can get in hundreds of colours, lasts for about 2 or 3 weeks and lets the nails grow.

I realise this doesnt answer any of your questions! So; acrylics will last as long as you need generally, just get them infilled every few weeks as the nail grows out. You can have gel or normal varnish on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now