Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully transitioned from antiperspirants to "natural" deodorants?

(16 Posts)
ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sat 09-Jul-16 15:22:12

I'm thinking of quitting antiperspirants. I have been using them for years, but recently the skin under my arms has become bumpy and itchy, and I read somewhere that it could be due to antiperspirants so I want to try something else.

Does anyone else here use "natural" deodorants (ie aluminium free)? Do you sweat a lot more? Are they efficient at keeping BO at bay?

Any brand recommendations?

Thanks!

Elvesandtheshoomaker Sat 09-Jul-16 15:31:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 09-Jul-16 15:45:59

Yes. Have done this a few years ago use Weleda now and used to Tom's of Maine (but they were bought out by a big brand). The Weleda one is a deodorant though - doesn't stop perspiration.

I shower in the morning sometimes bath in evenings but wash armpits if they're sweaty or it's very hot (eg on holiday).

I did buy a naturals one (mint and something) which I think may also be anti perspirant from M&S which works too and is a standby.

some people sweat more though or perspire more - a close friend does and says she can't not use an anti perspirant. I think it does take time to adjust your body though.

I've used Neals Yard Coriander and Lemon deodorant in the past - very nice, I tend to use Weleda Citrus one now but there are other fragrances like Wild Rose etc.

pippinandtog Sat 09-Jul-16 16:18:23

I stopped using antiperspirants and using a natural deodorant years ago, when I read that parabens and aluminium had been linked with breast cancer.
I believe the link is questionable, but as there are alternatives, why not use them?
I also had sore, irritated underarms.
I tried a few different ones, including the ones mentioned by others, which were nice( apart from the Neal's Yard coriandery one which I felt left me smelling of curry).
But my absolute favourite, which I feel completely confident wearing, is the Salt of the Earth spray from Holland and Barrett- I wouldn't use anything else now and would recommend it to you, OP.

Hopefully Sat 09-Jul-16 18:59:28

Yes. I am SUCH a convert. I was so sweaty, had to use strong antipespirant and was still sticky by the end of the day. Shifted over to pitrok, took a couple of weeks to adjust and I have literally never looked back. Much less sticky and uncomfortable, no smell at all, no clothes ruined by antipespirant.

I made the change about ten years ago. Have managed to convert my similarly sweaty sister and she is just as evangelical as I am!

boldlygoingsomewhere Sat 09-Jul-16 19:05:27

Yes, stopped using anti-perspirants about 10 years ago as I kept getting a really horrible rash.
Used Lush aromaco solid deodorant for years and then switched to Green People Rosemary. I love them - I actually sweat less now than when I used anti-perspirants.

Hippychickster Sat 09-Jul-16 19:10:08

I use anything that doesn't have aluminium in it. People think it's the alcohol that's the problem, but I think it's the aluminium. I like the rock salt. Just looks like a massive chunk of salt!

megletthesecond Sat 09-Jul-16 19:12:24

I use antiperspirant on the three days I work (stress and synthetic clothes) and use a natural rock crystal spray on the other four days.

My armpits don't get pimply any more, presumably because they get a chance to sweat properly most of the week.

witsender Sat 09-Jul-16 19:55:24

I use the green people roll ons, they're fab. I don't notice any smell or excessive sweating, though I was more a nervous sweater than a heat one, and don't go into settings that make me that nervous now.

spongebob5 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:46:26

I've tried the pit rock spray but felt sweaty & smelly by the end of the working day sad

iamEarthymama Sat 09-Jul-16 22:58:47

I love the idea of the rock deodorants but they don't work to well on me.

We used Toms of Maine but can't find it recently.. It is brilliant and lasts all day long

We have swopped to the range that is sold in Holland & Barratt, we have Tea Tree and Rose fragrances at t he moment.

Thanks for this thread I will be trying some of the suggestions.

Can I recommend Natural Collection and Ethical Superstore; if you sign up for emails you get lots of money off or free postage offers

MadisonMontgomery Sat 09-Jul-16 23:21:06

I use Piper Wei - it was recommended by someone on Instagram and it's actually really good, I bought it on a whim but I'm converted.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sat 09-Jul-16 23:32:34

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I'm feeling a bit braver about it now that I know that it has worked out well for some people!

I'm making a note of all the recommendations, I'll be trying them all until I find something that works for me.

Question about the crystal deodorants : does it dry quickly after application?

puglife15 Sat 09-Jul-16 23:43:18

I use Neal's Yard lavender (used to use the coriander one but went off the smell) and also like Jason stick deodorant. Both v good.

I loved the Toms of Maine peach one but like others can't seem to find it these days.

I don't do heavy exercise and try to avoid synthetic close fitting fabrics, can't say I notice any difference in how I smell. I prefer the feel of deodorant, anti perspirants used to make my armpits itchy and sticky.

My clothes don't go weird and crispy/smelly/discoloured in the pits either like they used to.

puffylovett Sat 09-Jul-16 23:47:21

I've used various, was a big green people fan but with the prices going up I've recently converted to a crystal stick and I'm finding it even better than the green people. It takes a while to adjust, but I would say I barely sweat any more and I only notice a smell if I've been too lazy to wax blush

Sara107 Sat 09-Jul-16 23:54:55

If it's aluminium that worries you, be aware that some of the 'natural' rock crystal deodorants actually contain naturally occurring salts of...... aluminium!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now