How the style and beauty thread has changed over the years.

(171 Posts)
MadSprocker Sat 09-Jul-16 11:37:43

I was thinking about this the other night, about the trends in threads over the years.

When I first joined I remember learning about sock buns. I had a break for a long while, then it was all about skincare, Caroline Hirons, exfoliating toners, but that has tailed off recently. Now it seems to be about haircuts, particularly whether people should have a pixie cut, lots asking how to dress their body shape.

HOC and CMB thread still occasionally appear, as do bra interventions, but less than they used to.

Hoping this all makes sense, am slightly hungover 😀

What other thread trends do you remember?

JohnCheese Sat 09-Jul-16 11:40:07

Oh I remember a thoroughly entertaining one about French women and chic and weight. Happy days.

And of course the bench bag threads, pick one any one.

Those were the days.

WicksEnd Sat 09-Jul-16 11:43:10

When I first joined it was very pro Boden. People couldn't get enough of it.
Then everyone was ashamed to wear it and everybody claimed it to be garish shite.
But they weren't really ashamed, oh no because come sale time, everybody bought leopard print boots and teamed them with Boden frocks grin

crappymummy Sat 09-Jul-16 11:44:29

School run dresses

mum boots

Acne pistol boots (they even sound loathsome)

crappymummy Sat 09-Jul-16 11:45:20

The MN haircut (all hair in a high ponytail, chop off last few inches, feel regretful thereafter)

RaisingSteam Sat 09-Jul-16 11:47:21

Oh yes. I joined in 2006. I remember the MN boots and scarf and shock faces at the thought of anyone wearing skinny jeans. Someone was asking recently what footwear you were meant to wear with bootcut jeans and I felt like linking to those Wrangler boots! SnB has a very short term memory.

Also I think many of us are growing older with MN, there's more about going grey, anti ageing stuff, can I still wear XXX in my forties, it's quite nice really.

Hopefully Sat 09-Jul-16 12:08:40

Ah, the MN scarf. Such a highlight of the era I joined (2007).

The olden days:
- The discovery and then downfall of Whistles among the fashiony types.
- The rise and fall and rise and fall of colour analysis threads - it seems to come in waves.
- Boden discussions. About every single new piece

The less olden days:
- Hush and Next harems replace Boden
- Acid exfoliators. Double cleansing.

The nowadays:
- Going grey
- pixie cuts
- wedding outfits

AuntieStella Sat 09-Jul-16 12:13:34

There hasn't been a school run dress this year (there was last year).

I quite like that, not because I buy a lot of dresses, but because of all the misunderstandings.

MadSprocker Sat 09-Jul-16 12:14:08

i wasn't about for Mumsnet scarf, so that always goes completely over my head.

Yes to Hush going greys too.

mirpuppet Sat 09-Jul-16 12:21:41

Mumsnet scarf was a classic.

My first mumsnet induced purchased. Followed by Boden which was then ebayed away.

Madbengalmum Sat 09-Jul-16 12:27:29

Aahh, but there was the boden ruched skirt obsession some seemed to have this season.

IWannaHoldYourHand Sat 09-Jul-16 12:38:11

I had a mumsnet scarf. I wasn't aware it was a MN scarf at the time. I still love a leopard print scarf though.

There has been a definite shift towards classic, and older styles over fashion recently.

Polkadot1974 Sat 09-Jul-16 13:22:56

Is there a way to view old stuff? Kind of like a classic threads thing? I love it all!

Floisme Sat 09-Jul-16 13:37:27

Not been around as long as some of you but I miss all the 'shorts at 40' threads. They were marvellous.

AalyaSecura Sat 09-Jul-16 13:41:19

Aw, the Avid&Wise quiche threads...

BabyGanoush Sat 09-Jul-16 13:43:56

I got swept up in the beauty box craze a few years ago, thanks to S&B!

Anyone else?

Also bought the Boden ruched skirt which now languishes unworn in my wardrobe (size 14, navy, any takers?)

Am such a lemming....

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Sat 09-Jul-16 13:47:19

Babyganoush I'll have the shirt off of you! I kept trying to buy it but it was OOS. How much round you like for it?

0dfod Sat 09-Jul-16 14:08:22

I can't remember if there was a style and beauty forum when I joined under a different incarnation in 2002. I do remember the ghastly boot cut trouser threads though shock

Ememem84 Sat 09-Jul-16 14:23:41

I like the s&b threads. There was (maybe still is) a mn vogue one which was fun to read.

I'm still not convinced about Boden. Though I do like the leopard print Chelsea boots... May buy some for the winter. I think they're in the sale now...

TheSpottedZebra Sat 09-Jul-16 14:48:23

There was a bit of a plopping /no poo hair thing for a while. And no silicone.

And there is usually a waterproof coat thread each year, which I avidly read, thinking I'll find my holy grail coat. Then buy a cheap thing that does not keep me at all dry, and vow that next year...

This year there seems to be people talking about what they'll wear on flights.

RustyBear Sat 09-Jul-16 14:59:29

Polkadot - this one is in Classics www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/271336-what-do-you-think-of-this

And this one should be...
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1011022-I-ve-seen-people-wearing-a-style-of-dress

areyoubeingserviced Sat 09-Jul-16 15:04:05

There is more focus on wearing makeup and looking groomed .

squoosh Sat 09-Jul-16 22:49:26

I like a good long running, slightly grumpy thread, like the one about how American women dress for the workplace v how British women dress.

squoosh Sat 09-Jul-16 22:51:46

And I like threads where people swear that they love their skinny jeans so much that they'd have worn them in the 90s if only they'd been widely available. Yeah right, the only people who wore skinny jeans, or should I say 'drainpipes', in the 90s were Status Quo roadies. You'd have crinkled up your faces in horror if someone had handed you a pair of skinnies back then! grin

TheSpottedZebra Sat 09-Jul-16 22:55:42

Ooh that workplace one was good, Squoosh. And also that one about how to look posh. Then there was a series about how to look expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now