Talk

Advanced search

Burgundy leather jacket - yeah or nay or grey

(20 Posts)
ArieltheMermaid1720 Fri 08-Jul-16 21:36:16

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a leather jacket and don't think I want black. I've seen a nice burgundy one, but I'm unsure....will it date? I have visions of myself swanning round looking cool and chic like Flo in the disappearance but am scared! Grey?

Kennington Sat 09-Jul-16 09:10:08

Grey goes with more and I like.
Burgundy sounds good but may be difficult to spot in wardrobe.
I have a grey so am biased.

user1467042399 Sat 09-Jul-16 09:18:09

Burgundy Is a lovely colour for Autumn/winter.
I have a burgundy leather and love wearing it in Autumn with a chunky cream scarf,jeans and boots.

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 09-Jul-16 09:22:59

I love grey usually but am not keen on grey leather. Feels very 80's and reminds me those elephant scrotum sofas from DFS.

I like oxblood coloured leather (darker burgundy) and find it works with lots of skintones (unlike grey). So long as you choose a classic shape and a good quality, soft leather, you'll be fine.

Floisme Sat 09-Jul-16 11:20:55

I have visions of myself swanning round looking cool and chic like Flo
You called? grin
Funny, I was recently wondering the same thing. A lot of my wardrobe is plum, green or grey so either would work. I was leaning towards grey but mainly because the only burgundy jackets I had seen had this hard, shiny finish which I didn't particularly like. If I'd seen a matte one, I'd have been very tempted.

I think burgundy's pretty classic, not a fashion colour like, say cobalt blue. In fact I would say grey is newer - it was nowhere till it took over from brown arounc 10--12 years ago so arguably it's more likely to date.

As for me, I solved my dilemma with a khaki jacket from charity shop!

ArieltheMermaid1720 Sat 09-Jul-16 14:19:09

Thanks all, I think I will go for the burgundy, I'm won over by my style icon Flo's advice winkand also the image of cosy scarves with jacket (can you tell it's chucking it down and freezing where I am!).

user1467042399 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:36:36

Think this looks great

SuperFlyHigh Sat 09-Jul-16 15:40:41

Grey is nice but would this be dark grey or light grey or even mid grey?

I have a gorgeous designer (Nicole Farhi) leather jacket that's black but not an ink or hard black - it looks like a very soft black and maybe even a very dark grey...

Have you considered navy? a friend of mine has a leather jacket (sort of biker collar) in navy looks very nice.

ArieltheMermaid1720 Sat 09-Jul-16 20:00:10

Grey would have to be very dark grey I think, just softer than black, I haven't seen any in that colour, dove grey seems to be about now and I'm not a massive fan of it. I have considered navy but something is putting me off. No, I think it will prob be burgundy, but I might wait a month just to be sure to be sure! Thank you all.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 09-Jul-16 20:49:38

OP - I agree for me very dark grey would be the way to go too. I know what you mean about the navy has to be right.

I was lucky with my NF jacket as it looks 'aged' but in a nice way but isn't harsh as eg black.

Also sometimes you will suit burgundy better than eg grey.

orangina Sat 09-Jul-16 22:44:24

I have a burgundy leather jacket and love it. Perfect with black (which I wear a lot of), and good with jeans, plus charcoal grey etc.

Shenanagins Sat 09-Jul-16 23:23:52

I saw someone on holiday wearing one, it was gorgeous! Where have you seen one?

PNGirl Sun 10-Jul-16 07:34:51

I got an olive green one recently - I would also wear burgundy though!

FenellaFerranti Sun 10-Jul-16 07:40:31

I bought a burgundy leather jacket the day I took my driving test in 1999 and wore it to death over the next 5 years. Not sure if that means it's timeless or not but you're making me nostalgic!

SimplyNigella Sun 10-Jul-16 08:03:50

I love oxblood leather or a really deep green.

burnishedsilver Sun 10-Jul-16 09:38:36

I would LOVE a burgandy leather jacket. Where did you see it?

ArieltheMermaid1720 Sun 10-Jul-16 11:48:37

It's a Whistles Agnes jacket. I actually saw it on eBay. I've just bought it, eek!

SuperFlyHigh Sun 10-Jul-16 12:00:24

I think leather is the one thing (MN bugbear always about synthetics etc) Whistles do well.

I think you've made the right choice!

SuperFlyHigh Sun 10-Jul-16 12:02:14

Just saw it online it looks a really nice colour not too bright burgundy and looks classic. I want it now!

Twinklestar2 Sun 10-Jul-16 12:57:04

I had a burgundy leather from New Look back in 1998 and I loved it! I brought it with my student loan money smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now