Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone not follow fashion?

(37 Posts)
metimeisforwimps Fri 08-Jul-16 21:10:08

I really like clothes, and make an effort to look nice, but I don't follow fashion at all, just wear things I like. I may be accidentally in fashion now and again smile
Is anyone else the same, or am I completely out on a limb here?

usual Fri 08-Jul-16 21:12:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

metimeisforwimps Fri 08-Jul-16 21:17:40

I mostly get things second hand so not too influenced by what's in shops (well maybe I am but a few seasons later!)

CatherineDeB Fri 08-Jul-16 21:19:00

I don't follow fashion at all. Anything I buy is fairly classic, I make a lot of stuff and still wear stuff I bought 20 years ago. If I am not in a thrown together affair or home made number I can be found in shorts/walking trousers and a t shirt of either long or short sleeved variety!

Mixing and matching can avoid being fashionable. I wouldn't actually know what is in fashion, and don't really care.

StrictlyMumDancing Fri 08-Jul-16 21:23:23

That's how I feel. I like what I like, occasionally fashion comes back round to me grin

metimeisforwimps Fri 08-Jul-16 21:24:43

Not just me then Catherine! I also make things, or often buy things and alter them to my taste. I also have had some things for a very long time, and still love them.

UpsidedownDog Fri 08-Jul-16 21:26:05

I don't. I have been said to jump into my chest of drawers and out again grin

I am almost permanently in rock concert tee-shirts, jeans and trainers. I may go a bit more smart-casual on the rare occasion, but it is very rare. I really don't like the vast majority of stuff in the shops these days, so I stick to the biker/rock/Alchemy-type clothes as I like the style better.

CatherineDeB Fri 08-Jul-16 21:30:30

Me too OP, I bought a lovely dress in a charity shop last week, new with tags from Mint Velvet - tag said £129 and I paid £5!

God knows how old it is but I care not. I hate shopping, rarely go shopping, easier for me to buy fabric and make something.

What is fashion anyway? I would rather wear something that suits me/I actually like ..... and because I am tight I either made or bought cheaply!

Having said that I probably only buy 6-8 things a year.

metimeisforwimps Fri 08-Jul-16 22:25:26

The people I really notice when out and about are people with a unique style. I remember last year in the park seeing an oldish lady in a lovely seersucker handmade sundress, she looked like she was from a different era and such a refreshing change from the standard slacks and blouse.

Charity shops are the bees knees!

maggiethemagpie Fri 08-Jul-16 23:38:53

I don't follow fashion, I hate following the crowd. I just wear what I like, but if I buy stuff that's new then it 's probably going to be in fashion to a certain extent.

I don't think 'oh cold shoulder tops are in this season I must go out and buy one'.

Those kinds of clothes get dated really quickly, and I would want to have the option of wearing it in a few years time.

Fashions just exist to make more money out of people so that you have to keep buying new clothes

CoolCarrie Fri 08-Jul-16 23:44:12

I wear what I like, no way I would follow fashion, dont want to look like a clone or wear clothes that dont suit me, just to be 'in fashion'. Charity shops are indeed the bees knees! Not just clothes, but lots of brilliant books.

RebelandaStunner Fri 08-Jul-16 23:59:11

No I follow my own style which I like to think is quite classic. So fairly uninterested in the latest fad.
Cba even knowing or caring what's 'in' now, if I like it I buy it.
But I wouldn't wear something that was obviously dated and 'definately' out either. There's a difference.

dudsville Sat 09-Jul-16 00:03:23

I look around me and say most people don't adhere to fashion. There are wide age based genres that people adhere to. .. to my mind fashion either introduces new ideas that seep in to every day wear or reinvigorates old ideas.

WiIdfire Sat 09-Jul-16 00:05:07

I don't. It's hard enough to find anything to fit, let alone hope it is in fashion too. I wear what I can.

Doobigetta Sat 09-Jul-16 00:50:09

I do and I don't. I keep an eye on what's coming in, and if I like it and it works for me I get excited and buy lots. But I won't wear something that doesn't suit me or that isn't comfortable or vaguely practical just because it's current.

notamummy10 Sat 09-Jul-16 00:54:03

But isn't not following fashion still following fashion though... Even if you aren't following the current fashion trends, you are still following with the people who don't 'follow' fashion!

AUDNAY Sat 09-Jul-16 01:28:16

I must admit , I wear what I want when I want, and I don't go out to really buy something in fashion, you just look round and you can see the odd piece hanging up, we have a market once a month, and a lady comes and starts at a fiver, and she makes some very nice clothes.
Glad I am not the only one.

CatherineDeB Sat 09-Jul-16 08:41:25

Not really mummy.

user1467042399 Sat 09-Jul-16 09:16:28

Not really some in fashion things like awful on me.
Cropped tops are a no go.

DerelictMyBalls Sat 09-Jul-16 09:28:10

I don't follow fashion. It just seems so... 'obedient' to me to buy things that are fashionable that season. I make my own clothes and buy from ebay and charity shops.

metimeisforwimps Sat 09-Jul-16 10:24:08

notamummy, I suppose that would be the case if you were aware what's in fashion, like the young folk and their alternative styles. I was like that when I was younger, purposely rebelling against the norm, but now it's less contrived, so I don't mind if I do look fashionable, if it suits me. But, for example, I would never wear skinny jeans, they would look dreadful on me! I really like the current ankle skimmers though, I think they are really flattering a summery.

Ebay also a great resource, I love browsing vintage dresses and things on there.

Floisme Sat 09-Jul-16 12:39:01

No, I like a bit of fashion. Not all of it but I enjoy picking out the bits that suit me and working out how to wear new stuff. Plus even if something suits me, I get bored with it after a while and want to move on. Plus I like looking back at old photos and laughing at myself. It's not meant to be serious.

0dfod Sat 09-Jul-16 14:12:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I don't. I love clothes - looking at them, thinking about them, touching them etc, but I wear what I like. I'm little and norky and hour-glass-ish, so 'fashion'stuff doesn't tend to be designed for me anyway. I like skinnies, dresses, and full skirts with fitted tops on me, regardless of whether they are in fashion or not.

handslikecowstits Sat 09-Jul-16 15:17:51

I don't. I'm 5'1 with big tits. There's no point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now