Talk

Advanced search

Should I bin sun lotion thats 2 years old?

(25 Posts)
Zisterhood Fri 08-Jul-16 08:16:32

Will it still work?

I went OTT buying loads of it 2 years ago. Didn't go away last year but we will be going to sunnier climes soon. Do you think I can take it and us still be protected?

retainertrainer Fri 08-Jul-16 08:23:47

Bin it and buy new.

DiamondInTheRuff Fri 08-Jul-16 08:26:03

No, I'm pretty lax about such things, but even I buy new each year.

Slave2thecat Fri 08-Jul-16 08:27:31

I bin it each year and start again. I don't know why as it has no best before date or morning of oxidising on the bottle - but somehow I think I know it looses its strength overtime and fresh, unopened, bottles are better?

Slave2thecat Fri 08-Jul-16 08:27:46

Morning? Warning.

kiki22 Fri 08-Jul-16 08:32:23

It tells you on the back how long it can be kept for usually 12 months. Avon do great lovely smelling cream for a few pounds never take risks with skin.

fieldfare Fri 08-Jul-16 08:32:26

Bin it and buy new.
I think most brands do have a warning on them somewhere that they should be used within 12months otherwise they cannot guarantee the spf will be as effective.

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Fri 08-Jul-16 08:35:08

And check the expiry date before you buy -I've been caught out before with an out of date bottle, such a hassle to take it back (although did exchange it without a problem).

3littlefrogs Fri 08-Jul-16 08:35:09

www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/ask-the-experts/does-sunscreen-become-ineffective-with-age

This implies that sunscreens are good for 3 years, provided they are stored in a cool place.

I have just been looking at my supply and can't find an expiry date anywhere.
It is so expensive, I am reluctant to throw it out.

Gunpowder Fri 08-Jul-16 08:40:05

I usually use new on the DC and the older stuff on our arms/legs.

Tartyflette Fri 08-Jul-16 08:44:59

I think the little 'open jar' symbol on the containers refers to it's life after opening so if any of the stuff you bought last year is unopened it should be fine.

starfish4 Fri 08-Jul-16 10:09:05

I have some that is probably two years old. I've been applying it to use it up - I have to work outside part of the day and forgot my old sun lotion and could feel my skin burning, so something in there is obviously still helping me.

MiracletoCome Fri 08-Jul-16 10:16:17

I would use it but not if the sun was very strong, I usually use old stuff if I just need a bit of sun protection on say, a cloudy day in the UK

MigGril Fri 08-Jul-16 10:26:44

This is the symbol you need to look for. If its been opened then it's good for the length of time next to the symbol. This one is 18 months, I normal use for 2 years then bin it. If its not been opened then it should be fine for longer as above.

Zisterhood Fri 08-Jul-16 12:17:55

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll take a look I'm sure some are unopened ill keep some get rid of the others.

specialsubject Fri 08-Jul-16 15:51:03

I used to work abroad and would use opened bottles from the previous season. Worked fine. I do apply it thickly and regularly.

Anonymouses Fri 08-Jul-16 15:54:44

I use an unopened one the year after I bought it but asn opened one within the year. Anything 2+ years old goes.

avocadosweet Fri 08-Jul-16 15:57:44

I'd use it on myself but buy new for DC.Or use it up as body lotion.

BackforGood Fri 08-Jul-16 16:28:05

I've always used it up until it runs out. Never had a problem.

Kennington Fri 08-Jul-16 17:10:19

Zinc oxide and titanium (physical block) based sunscreens don't degrade. The 'chemical' ones break down faster, and even more quickly if exposed to air.
They always say chuck them to keep us buying again and again.

Kennington Fri 08-Jul-16 21:52:08

Sorry that should read physical sun blocks don't degrade much over time: they are very stable!

museumum Fri 08-Jul-16 21:55:36

I usually use the previous year's cream at the start of the new year but I used some this year that had been in a hiking pack for over a year that didn't work and I burned.

RobberBride Fri 08-Jul-16 22:13:17

I use old suntan lotions as hand cream in the office.

AbyssinianBanana Sat 09-Jul-16 08:10:55

I just used one I had been saving (bought it at duty free years ago and can't find it elsewhere). It's at least 8 years old. Worked great, no sunburn.

FreeButtonBee Sat 09-Jul-16 12:08:23

I use last year's for short half days out in the sun/going to the park but a new one for eg a day at the beach. Although I haven't been abroad in ages. Would buy new for a foreign holiday somewhere hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now