Please help me pick new make up and primer!

(8 Posts)
KateLivesInEngland Thu 07-Jul-16 11:02:55

I had my make up done professionally for an event recently and she had loads of new stuff I'd never considered.

I believe she was using some MAC products but not all I don't think, so I'm not sure on individual items.

I am now in the market for primer and a new base (foundation/powder) she used mineral powder on me and I liked it. Never used primer so .... No idea!!

I don't have particularly lovely skin. Large pores and dry areas which makes liquid go a bit cakey and not natural looking, also have a bit of redness too.

I am trying to be a grown up and have just had my first facial and am following a new regime set by my salon so hopefully my skin might improve.

I know if I go into a department store or Boots, whichever counter I choose will push their own stuff on me and won't be impartial so I'm asking you lovely lot.

I went and had make up done by a girl on L'oreal at a Boots recently and the shade of base she put on was way off, even to my untrained eye, which I was very surprised by and isn't giving me any confidence to go and ask "Professionals"

whiteonesugar Thu 07-Jul-16 11:07:16

I love Bobbi brown for their bases, I have a powder, serum foundation and foundation stick from them.

Bare minerals is also lovely.

KateLivesInEngland Thu 07-Jul-16 11:16:51

Are there bobbi brown counters? Which stores sell it? Thanks

pippinandtog Thu 07-Jul-16 11:17:58

I would recommend Bare Minerals, too.
I am in my fifties, and had tried a lot of different foundations before finding this.
It's sold in the beauty salon which I go to, and the beautician there showed me how to apply it, and advised which shades I needed.
But I'm sure Bare Minerals counter staff would be equally helpful.
It's sold on QVC and their website has videos of women having Bare Minerals makeovers; it really makes a difference to your skin without looking heavy.

littlewoollypervert Thu 07-Jul-16 11:18:08

Lanacane anti chafing cream. About £7, best primer I've ever used (supposed to be identical to Smashbox which is about 3 times the price.

craptastic Thu 07-Jul-16 11:23:39

Hello, I don't have brilliant skin either but have recently settled on some products that suit my skin and make it look better.

Depends on your budget, but I recommend clarins primer, and Thebalm primer (I get this from amazon)

Personally, after years of searching for the perfect foundation I have given up. I use Thebalm tinted moisturiser. My skin looks so much better and more natural since ditching foundation. I use the light colour and I have pale skin. I put it on after the primer has settled in (which helps hide large pores), and then use Nars light reflecting powder to set.

HumptyDumptyBumpty Thu 07-Jul-16 11:56:31

I'm a recent convert to YSL fusion ink foundation. I also have open pores, redness on cheekbones and dodgy skin. This makes it look so much better.
Underneath, I either use Mac primer (v old, no idea of name), nothing, or both No 7 Advanced P&P serum AND day cream. Vital to do both for me, deals with redness, and gives a good base.

KateLivesInEngland Thu 07-Jul-16 12:10:55

Thanks so much, I will look up the suggestions.

Budget is not too bad, I could afford to splurge if needs be but I am wary of buying products without being able to test them first as have wasted a ton of money in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now