Make up wearers - How often do you touch up of a day ?

(70 Posts)
habibihabibi Wed 06-Jul-16 09:54:33

I have a new colleague who is older but a classic beauty, perfectly groomed and made up .So I've stalked her and seen she she takes a little tote on each trip to the loo and touches up as well as hot brushes her hair with a battery brush thingy, tops up deodorant , perfume and brushes her teeth.
Excessive ?
I'm game to add at least some of the rituals as always just do am makeup and on occassion top up lipstick meaning I look crumpled and crap by the commute home.

MassiveStrumpet Wed 06-Jul-16 09:57:55

I may touch up my makeup and brush my hair, but that's it.

specialsubject Wed 06-Jul-16 09:58:36

Blimey. How much work does she get done?

LurkingQuietly Wed 06-Jul-16 09:59:47

For work??? Blimey. Who does that?! I might take powder out with me on a night out in case I get particularly shiny, but I'm not sure I can remember a time since my late teens when I've actually used it! I'm mid thirties now. Far, far too much effort for me I'm afraid. And I wear make up mostly every day, and I get "properly made up" for a night out.

PeaceNotPieces Wed 06-Jul-16 10:00:05

It's a bit excessive for me but it must work for her.

I think a bit of deodorant, a spray of perfume and a tiny touch up of make up and a slithering hand cream after your lunch break is enough for me.

What do you do now?

notagiraffe Wed 06-Jul-16 10:02:05

I touch up lipstick, hand cream and perfume (very light scent) two or three times a day. That's it.

violetbunny Wed 06-Jul-16 10:03:37

I touch up often throughout the day, but I need to as I have super oily skin.

I have a little MAC makeup bag I take into the ladies for touch ups which always contains the following without fail:

Oil blotting sheets
Powder compact
Small powder brush
Lip balm
Lipstick and blush (whatever shades I'm wearing that day)
Eye drops
Tooth flossing sticks
Makeup remover pen (to fix any smudges)
Comb

I wouldn't bother touching up deodorant or brushing my teeth unless I was either travelling (eg on a plane) or at the end of the day if I were going out somewhere for the evening straight from work.

KoalaDownUnder Wed 06-Jul-16 10:08:54

What's a 'battery brush thingy?' confused

I brush my teeth at lunchtime and sometimes run a comb through my hair. That's it.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 06-Jul-16 10:15:26

I'm a lecturer, so usually refresh my lipstick before I go to teach a class, and after eating. Brush hair after being outside. I keep a powder compact in my desk with a kabuki brush, so might whack some on after lunch if I look greasy, but usually not. I do have deodorant, toothpaste and brush in my drawer too - would use them if I was going out straight from work, or brush my teeth if I had a dental appointment or had eaten something garlic-y for lunch.

Lottapianos Wed 06-Jul-16 13:10:18

Reapply lipstick / gloss 3-4 times a day
Nothing else, rest of make up lasts fine until the end of the day

habibihabibi Wed 06-Jul-16 14:52:52

My make-up never ever lasts the day but I do live in an extrordinarly hot climate and duck in and out of a/c bulidings and 45c + dusty outdoors.
I use MAC BB cream, concealer ( lots) and powder + blush and mascara , little eyeshadow and lipstick . I typically don't touch up .

My colleague does her job very well and just looks so good , professional and neat.I think I need to pull myself into line .

habibihabibi Wed 06-Jul-16 15:00:44

Koala :
The battery brush thingy is a cordless brush/tongs .My sister had one in the 9Os that ran on gas cylinders .

FashionLover1 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:03:56

I reapply lipstick couple times and once or twice retouch with powder as I have super oily skin, that's it.
But I always admire women who looks perfect at anytime during day. Unfortunately I am not that case sad

U2HasTheEdge Wed 06-Jul-16 17:05:43

I am about to do a 12 hour night shift.

I will start looking shiny half way through so I will take some powder but that is it.

Usually I don't touch up at all unless I'm going out for the evening etc.

Slothlikesundays Wed 06-Jul-16 17:07:54

Once it's on its on... I never touch up my makeup blush

Oblomov16 Wed 06-Jul-16 17:12:28

OTT.
I have greasy skin so use a grease blotting paper, powder, swipe of eyeshadow, check hair, squirt of perfume, once a day, either after lunch or just before I leave office for school run. Takes seconds.

ravenia Thu 07-Jul-16 12:12:24

I carry my lipstick and eyeliner to work, but only top up if my (makeup addict) colleague suggests my lipstick has worn off. Other than that it's on in the morning, off when I get home, nothing in between.

HoggleHoggle Thu 07-Jul-16 12:24:18

Eeek, I feel foul now...I never touch up blush

I don't wear lipstick though which might make a difference.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 07-Jul-16 12:26:07

Once it's on its on... I never touch up my makeup blush

^^This. I barely even look in the mirror on a loo break. I never wear lipstick so that doesn't need touching up !

BoJolly Thu 07-Jul-16 12:30:34

My make up goes on at 6.00 am and I might reapply my lipstick after lunch - but that's about it.

My hair looks better after I have been out in the wind than when I have styled it.grin

Buzzybee51 Thu 07-Jul-16 13:22:40

Ditto Sloth! I don't carry makeup around with me. Although most of the woman do in my office.
Starting to think I probably should hmm

Elbekind Thu 07-Jul-16 13:29:26

For regular work everyday I don't bother to touch up at all. I apply hand cream after washing my hands, some lip balm if my lips are try, and some deodorant if it's a particularly hot day but nothing else.
If I'm on a night out I will bring setting powder and my lipstick but will only touch up once during the entire evening, no need to do any more than that for me.

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 07-Jul-16 13:32:04

I touch up setting powder once a day maybe - definitely not everyday. Just on days where I want to look my best.
I sometimes have to fix an eyebrow when Dd decides it's time to play with my face and smears it hmm
My hair usually doesn't need anything extra throughout the day, so I don't carry a hair brush. I'm lucky that it's relatively straight and manageable

Flumplet Thu 07-Jul-16 13:48:07

I'm a slothenly heathen. I wear no makeup most days and dont brush my hair after i've left the house.

wrapsuperstar Thu 07-Jul-16 13:52:23

Lipstick topped up and maybe a spritz of rosewater spray just to freshen up face -- but that's only if I'm feeling fancy wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now