Talk

Advanced search

Interview outfit these days

(10 Posts)
Polkadot1974 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:09:20

I'm in my 40s. Been in same job over 10 years so am terrified and need to look and feel good. I look dreadful in a trouser suit. Lumpy tummy, short legs, pear shaped ish but no chest either so a terrible shape
Is a dress and jacket a good plan or too frumpy? Office job, but in manufacturing environment
What do you think? I have a Next dress I wear on "smart" days but hate it and threw practically everything away in a big binge. Not huge budget- say £50? And shoes and bag advice too please as I need to know if better to get a good shoe or bag rather than clothes

Banderchang Tue 05-Jul-16 21:18:56

I'm in a similar position and went outfit shopping today. I bought a wrap dress in the sales and am planning to wear with nude heels. My dress was only £40 in the Hobbs sale in John Lewis and they had loads of stuff in so that might be worth a look if there's a JL near you? Hoping my choice is ok, as I haven't interviewed for 10 years. I'm in academia and it's an internal post so not hugely formal (I know all the panel). Good luck!

Polkadot1974 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:28:55

Wrap dress might be nice and a better quality one will look better yes?

Acornantics Tue 05-Jul-16 21:32:49

I went through a few interviews recently and wore smart wide legged trousers (as they suit me) and a simple top, with an unstructured but smart jersey jacket. I think unless you're in a legal or firmly corporate environment, a more casual/colourful take on office smart is fine. I found lots of really nice jackets/tops in Tesco recently, not expensive at all.

Polkadot1974 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:53:59

What shoes with trousers?

polyhymnia Tue 05-Jul-16 22:04:30

Anything you like on shoes front as long as reasonably smart and, for me, not nude! But that's just a personal dislike I guess.

Polkadot1974 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:12:25

Cool. Thank you. I'm the type who will ladder tights etc but figure a dress and Shellac nails remove some of messiness!

leadrightfoot Tue 05-Jul-16 22:18:37

If manufacturing are you likely to have to visit that area if so what clothing might you need? Would dresses for instance be interesting with overalls on?
Otherwise dress and jacket fine!

Acornantics Tue 05-Jul-16 22:34:47

For shoes I go for wedges or flat shoes in a bright colour. I love having colourful feet if the rest of me is neutral.

polyhymnia Wed 06-Jul-16 09:25:01

If you want to go for nude tights, M and S do good run-free ones that don't ladder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now