Did Tweed perfume always smell horrible?

(10 Posts)
Nettletheelf Sun 03-Jul-16 23:22:43

I was in a reasonably priced retailer yesterday (Boyes, for anybody in Yorkshire... It is reminiscent of Grace Brothers and sells all kinds of random stuff) and found that they were selling purse sprays of Tweed for £1.

I've never used it but I can remember the adverts in the late 1970s and early 1980s (Tweed, by Lentheric...the timeless classic) and some of my friends' mums had it.

Anyway, in a fit of devil may care curiosity I sprayed some on, and Christ, it is horrible! All the bottles there smelled the same.

Was it always this rancid, meaning that people had lower scent standards in the good old days? I can't believe that it was ever a best seller.

DonkeyOaty Sun 03-Jul-16 23:34:20

it was always horrid

CremeBrulee Sun 03-Jul-16 23:40:04

Yep was always vile. I remember dousing myself liberally from a bottle on my mother's dressing table as a small child, it was nasty stuff even then.

DramaAlpaca Sun 03-Jul-16 23:41:08

My mum had it back in the 70s. It was nasty.

Allalonenow Sun 03-Jul-16 23:43:03

It was always awful, low notes from a manure heap and a hint of a hundred ashtrays.

ClinkyMonkey Mon 04-Jul-16 00:57:52

'Twas minging. My mum had it in the seventies and the only reason the bottle went down at all was because I had a cheeky spray of it while I was ransacking her room as a small child.

Nettletheelf Mon 04-Jul-16 06:05:47

Hahaha glad it's not just me! I had to scrub my hand when I got home to rid myself of it!

pinkieandperkie Mon 04-Jul-16 06:13:45

Reminds me of my nana. I saw it for sale in Boots the other day.

dudsville Mon 04-Jul-16 07:28:30

I'm not familiar with it but came on to say that the name makes me think of clothing material and perhaps of wet tweed, which is never something I'd seek out as an ingredient in a scent!

Happybara Mon 04-Jul-16 08:17:55

This takes me back. My step grandmother always gave a bottle of Tweed to my mum at Christmas. To show her 'appreciation' my mother used to wear it whenever we visited SGM. Visiting involved a 2 hour car journey in a Morris Traveller with my mum in her fug of Tweed and my father chain smoking. They never could work out why my sister and I were travel sick.
Can't believe they still make it let alone sell it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now