Wardrobe must haves/essentials/stars

(12 Posts)
wheatchief Sun 03-Jul-16 18:15:03

I've been working hard on diet and exercise to lose some weight, and although not at goal I'm finally heading in the right direction. I get paid some commission in late autumn/early winter and am planning a big spending spree. To keep me motivated to turn down ice creams and long afternoons in the garden drinking, anyone care to help with a wardrobe wishlist of what I guess magazines would call 'key pieces' so I can online window shop until I reach goal?

So far I'm thinking:

Two pairs of jeans
A leather jacket
Knee length boots
Winter coat
Waterproof type thing
Cashmere jumper?

Grateful for any suggestions, willpower is weak on Sunday evenings so am hoping to distract myself from the chocolate!

amarmai Sun 03-Jul-16 18:23:17

Good quality plain dresses that fit well and you can dress up or down.
Ankle boots ,black and brown
Good quality tops to go with jeans
Great handbag/shoulder/ cross body /

quirkychick Sun 03-Jul-16 18:26:46

It really depends on your personal style and lifestyle, but in autumn/winter I definitely regularly wear jeans, coated legging/jeans, wool slouchy trousers, various boots: long, biker style, boots with some kind of furry/warm lining, smart winter coat, very warm down-filled coat and all-weather parka, cashmere/merino jumpers and jumper dresses. Also, various warm scarves, hats, leather gloves and waterproof gloves. I would also really recommend uniqlo heattech layers when it's cold too.

quirkychick Sun 03-Jul-16 18:28:54

Yes to a leather jacket too.

I would also suggest deciding on a colour palette, so it's easy to put different items together.

Buttwing Sun 03-Jul-16 18:37:19

Mine would be

Black skinnies
Dark blue skinnies
Grey slouchy cashmere jumper
Black slouchy cashmere jumper
Leather jacket
Nice winter coat
Hi tops
Ankle boots

I treated myself to a monclear coat with a big fur hood a couple of years ago it was ridiculously expensive but I've worn it so much it's been every penny.

I personally wouldn't bother with knee length boots but if you think it's something you will wear a lot go for it.

wheatchief Sun 03-Jul-16 18:50:14

Great! You guys are awesome. OK so I don't have any ankle boots as I have quite chunky calves (at any size). Do they still work with bigger calves?

Good advice on colour palette, all I know at the moment is I want a brown/chocolate leather jacket, not black.

quirky, do you have any examples of wool slouchy trousers? I have a vision in my head but not sure if it's the same thing. What would I wear them with? Love the idea.

I'm not huge as it is - a size 14, but short, big boobs and feel uncomfortable in quite a lot of clothes; jeans for example so have tended towards a wardrobe of dresses and tights and now a pair of khaki chinos and a bretons top, with flat long boots in winter, ballet shoes in summer. I feel frumpy and like I'm dressing a bit old for my age (32) so all suggestions most welcome, I am definitely in a rut.

Body shape, as above, short, big boobs. I do have a waist, I have solid thighs and my arms are not my best feature. All this is true at a smaller size.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 03-Jul-16 18:57:08

If you google Outfit Sudoku, I find it really helps with building a capsule. You can add or swap things as you see fit.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 03-Jul-16 19:00:36

Not these clothes, but using as an example see how everything coordinates? So many outfits out of a few items.

quirkychick Mon 04-Jul-16 16:19:13

I have a pair of grey, slouchy wool trousers that were from Great Plains, they were in the sales 2yrs ago. I bought them for a posh family do, but they dress down well too.

As well as a colour palette, what about a "uniform" that works for you e.g.

ankle boots + skinny jeans + jumper dress
or slouchy trousers + trainers + roll neck jumper

That way you have lots of combinations to choose from.

user1467042399 Mon 04-Jul-16 16:30:57

White,black,grey t shirts (long and short sleeve perfect for layering)
Black,indigo and burgundy jeans (lovely in Autumn)
Cream,black,grey jumpers
Sleeveless fitted jacket,tailored blazer
Tan or black knee length boots
Leather jackets
Scarves ( jazz up any outfit)
White shirt ( can't go wrong really and so easy to chuck on with jeans)
Flats or trainers for lazy days
I think ankle boots are great if your shorter as knee length boots can sometimes make you look shorter.
Cream mac
Vest tops (neutral colours)
Nice warm winter coat

BlueEyedWonder Mon 04-Jul-16 16:45:19

I had a big wardrobe declutter a couple of years ago and am much happier with fewer, well chosen, quality pieces.
My A/W wardrobe includes:
Black skinny jeans
Dark blue skinny jeans
Long sleeve dress
Black merino polo neck
Grey cashmere crewneck
Oversize aran cardigan
Long sleeve shirts and blouses
Knee high boots
Ankle boots

vitaminC Mon 04-Jul-16 17:35:28

My essentials are:
- plain dresses in neutral colours to dress up or down,
- thermal vests (I'm very sensitive to the cold!)
- leather jacket (mine is oxblood and goes with everything without being either too bland or too colourful)
- cropped denim jacket to dress down smarter items, especially dresses
- burgundy skinnies
- white skinnies
- indigo flares
- various colours of button-up shirts (worn as a light jacket over a vest on warm days, under a fine merino weater on cooler days)
- fine v- or round-necked sweaters in navy, burgundy, grey, black, cream
- cosy grey cashmere sweater
- a couple of smart blazers/jackets (I have lots but the two I wear most are a cream cropped jacket and a navy blazer)
- 2 smart leather belts - 1 black, 1 beige or tan
- a variety of scarves in various colours and fibres depending on the weather.
- Heeled brogues - go with jeans, trousers, dresses... everything really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now