realised today that I suit shirts rather than t-shirts

(17 Posts)
Gatekeeper Sun 03-Jul-16 13:14:32

I bought a shirt at a charity shop yesterday- slightly fitted blue-grey linen mix with nehru collar and slightly puffed short sleeves...sounds awful but isn't and I can't believe how much better I look wearing it shock. Tried my usual t-shirt on and I look like a sack of flour

Has anyone seen any soft, slightly stretchy semi fitted shirts about please? I live in a one horse town with no shops so have to brace myself to go to Newcastle. Ta!

user1467042399 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:44:33

H&M do some lovely shirts.
Starting from around £7.99

CointreauVersial Sun 03-Jul-16 15:36:27

I'm the same - shirts are so much more forgiving than clingy jersey teeshirts.

Actually, you started in the right place - charity shops are a good source of shirts. They tend to be more long-lasting than jersey items, so there is often a good selection. Likewise, eBay.

Shopwise, I second the suggestion of H&M!

pippinandtog Sun 03-Jul-16 18:31:19

Gatekeeper, that's the thing about shopping in a charity shop: you go in looking for something in your size, hopefully a decent name, so you consider styles which you wouldn't usually go for.
Like you, I was pleased to find a well-fitting charity shop shirt- a Gerry Weber for just a few pounds.

sulee Sun 03-Jul-16 20:16:32

I bought three more shirts from charity shops yesterday- from Laura Ashley, Pepperberry and Indigo at M & S. As has been said before, I am starting to accept T shirts do me no favours and I have bought charity shop shirts before on a whim and realised this is the way to go . I live in knitwear most of the year, but spring/summer challenges me. I have tried shirts from Primark in the past, but the cut just isn't right, will have a look at H&M though.

Gatekeeper Sun 03-Jul-16 20:22:45

thanks all; I'm going to keep my eyes peeled in charity shops from now on. I'm going to rethink what i wear. I'm 52 and a size 16 hourglass shape but you can't tell this from my clothes

MagpieCursedTea Sun 03-Jul-16 20:34:32

Get yourself to Whitley Bay, loads of great charity shops and a fantastic second hand clothes shop (I got a matching irregular choice handbag and pair of shoes in there for £20 a few months back).

Gatekeeper Mon 04-Jul-16 10:10:08

Whitley Bay a favourite haunt for charity shops plus fish and chips from the Whitley Whaler and then a hunt for sea glass (and an ice cream)

Not seen a second hand clothes shop Magpie? What is it called?

MagpieCursedTea Mon 04-Jul-16 12:49:08

It's called The Stock Exchange, it's on Park View.
I like the sound of your Whitley Bay trips!

Gatekeeper Mon 04-Jul-16 15:50:32

thanks Magpie; will def go and have a pootle round when I'm next there

rainbrella Mon 04-Jul-16 16:56:03

yes, me too! t shirts highlight belly and complete lack of bust on me. shirts skim nicely over my shoulders and look smarter on me.

i have to iron a bit more now though!

Mamia15 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:56:40

Is there a Uniqlo in Newcastle - they have bargain linen shirts in all colours (I'm wearing one in pale grey).

Wenchelda Thu 07-Jul-16 11:39:06

Thanks to this thread I have just bought 4 decent shirts from a charity shop for a total of £8! I've always worn t shirt style tops but am down to about 3 that fit nicely and I feel comfortable in. It had just never occurred to me to try shirts until I read this thread, but having tried some on, they definitely hide my lumps and bumps better and look a bit smarter / more put together than my usual tops. So thank you flowers

CointreauVersial Thu 07-Jul-16 22:59:01

Yay for shirts! grin

Gatekeeper Fri 08-Jul-16 08:28:58

got some more from a charity shop so am very pleased with meself!

I also got measured for a bra from a proper lingerie shop "Sadie the Bra Lady". I'm saying measured but no tapes were involved. 'Sadie' took a long look at me and said "hmm" (whilst I'm standing there in badly fitting bra from M&S)

Off she goes and comes back with a thing of beauty but ohhh the price!! £39 shock. I look at the difference in my profile though with old bra compared to new and handed over my debit card without a murmur

am now 36EE compared to M&S measuring me at 40c and dh can't take his eyes off 'em grin

Gatekeeper Fri 08-Jul-16 08:31:13

Wenchelda you are very welcome

Gatekeeper Fri 08-Jul-16 08:32:58

I don't think there is a Uniqlo nearby Mamia15 but I like the sound of those shirts. I love linen- even if it does crease

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now