Talk

Advanced search

What is acceptable fashion for a mummy?

(120 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ShanaMitchell Fri 01-Jul-16 19:39:45

I'm a young mum who has managed to get my body back to a state that I'm pretty happy with (but nowhere near as much as before, but who is right? It was all worth it for what I have now!). I haven't got a huge mum-tum or many stretch marks and I'm content with my size but many ladies my age are still rocking disco pants, high waisted shorts and other very-not-mummyish clothing that I just couldn't imagine wearing now I have a little one, as much as I'd really like to. I'm not saying crop tops and bum shorts... (I mean, I'm not 15) but the things I would style casually before bubba. So my question is: can a young mummy pull off clothes meant for her age without it being weird because she has a baby, or is that a red-zone, no-go area?

QuimReaper Fri 01-Jul-16 19:40:45

Head-to-toe bandages.

Reindeerlily Fri 01-Jul-16 19:42:38

Wear whatever the hell you want. It'll end up covered in baby food, sick, poo....

Fuzzypeggy Fri 01-Jul-16 19:44:28

Honestly, having a child doesn't mean you have to change who you are. By all means wear some more practical clothes if you're crawling around on the floor with baby but there are no rules that say once you have a baby you have to dress conservatively. Dress how you want.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 01-Jul-16 19:45:10

Didn't you find the crimplene dress and sturdy shoes in your Bounty pack?

NicknameUsed Fri 01-Jul-16 19:45:19

Bandages grin

Seriously, anything that suits you and makes you feel good. The only rule is that there are no rules.

SpookyRachel Fri 01-Jul-16 19:46:51

I find a Teflon cape and snorkel cover most eventualities, but I think what is acceptable is whatever you like, really. I certainly don't think a different dress code applies now that you are a respectable matron of the realm.

DickCheese Fri 01-Jul-16 19:47:59

I had DS at 21 and gained loads of weight and turned really frumpy. After DD my body bounced back a lot quicker, I've lost 3 stone and although I'm still not 'pre-baby body' I'm so much more confident! Wear what you feel comfortable in, I like the look of high waisted jeans and crop top - can hide my muffin top!! Haha. If you're young and feel happy with your body then you shouldn't feel you can't dress a certain way because you have a baby. Although I would always feel a knob pushing a pram in stilletoes.

Casmama Fri 01-Jul-16 19:48:48

You are still the same person you were before you had a child. Wear what you like, what suits you or what suits the task you are doing.
I can't really see why being a mother should inform your wardrobe other than the inevitable bodily fluids and mess mentioned above.

MarklahMarklah Fri 01-Jul-16 19:50:09

Wear what you like wearing.
Wear what is comfortable.
Wear whatever the hell you want. I get tired of people suggesting that you shouldn't wear something because you're tall/short/fat/thin/under 29/over 40. Life's too short.

Right now I'm wearing teal skinny jeans and an ethnic print shirt. I have animal print socks on. I'm nearer 50 than 20 and I don't give a stuff if people don't like what I'm wearing. Right now I am warm and comfortable.

RipeningApples Fri 01-Jul-16 19:50:36

I wore patterned skirt for years - at least until my dc stopped wiping their noses on me.

Hensintheskirting Fri 01-Jul-16 19:50:43

As long as you are modestly dressed, in conservative colours with no bold patterns and all of your attire is wipe clean I'm sure you'll pull of the "mummy look" admirably. Welcome to the club [hands OP some boot cut jeans and a Breton stripe top]

downright Fri 01-Jul-16 19:50:59

I like a neoprene superhero costume.

It's wipe clean, comfortable, wicks away sweat and suits in any situation.

You can't go wrong.

AnnaMarlowe Fri 01-Jul-16 19:53:06

Don't be silly - wear what you like. Age and motherhood has nothing to do with it.

Would you expect a man to change his style because he'd become a father?

usual Fri 01-Jul-16 19:54:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 01-Jul-16 19:56:13

Didn't you find the crimplene dress and sturdy shoes in your bounty pack? Brilliant grin

Ijustneedmycoffee Fri 01-Jul-16 19:56:43

Oh my, I just have to place mark.

Cannot wait for all the advice from ladies who are mummies with bubbas, with or without mum-tums. Bursting to know if I can pull off clothes for my age, the red-zones and no go areas. hmm

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 01-Jul-16 19:57:54

Don't forget the mum bob * Usual* with sensible fringe. wink

Marmalade85 Fri 01-Jul-16 19:58:02

Breton striped top, jeggings and converse.

usual Fri 01-Jul-16 20:00:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thrillhouse Fri 01-Jul-16 20:01:25

Wear what the fuck you want. With pride.

Lweji Fri 01-Jul-16 20:03:42

Bandages

Beaten!
envy

It was inevitable, though. grin

Wear what you like. Really.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Fri 01-Jul-16 20:04:08

can a young mummy pull off clothes meant for her age without it being weird because she has a baby
If they still fit then why not? mums are diverse bunch, get yourself down to a toddler group and have a look around.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Fri 01-Jul-16 20:04:23

Why not go the whole hog and ask Hubby what he would like you to wear now you have your bubba.

Ijustneedmycoffee Fri 01-Jul-16 20:07:27

Oh yes, great idea PaintedDrives. Do ask your Hubby OP, it's what most of us mummies do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now