Talk

Advanced search

Help! First date outfit. Blind panic!!

(31 Posts)
jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 12:28:43

Please can you lovely people help me with some style advice?

I have a first date, next Saturday (yes, I know, I've left plenty of time) and this'll be my first date in over 10 years! What the hell do I wear??

We are going to a boxing match but on a corporate table...I've been told to wear smart/casual but warm. What the heck does that even mean these days

Oh god, I'm quaking in my boots already confusedgrin

1moreRep Fri 01-Jul-16 12:40:44

I went on a first date in September with my now amazing dp- a coffee - and wore gym kit- I'm athletic (crossfitter) so I knew it looked good and I also looked like I was not too keen and it was comfortable. I work with men all day so knew this look would be sucessful

what's your body shape/ age / style?

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 14:30:11

Gym kit? Ok...

I'm very late 30s, size 8, boyish figure and tend to wear skinny jeans all the time. I have no idea on anything else.

IfNotNowThenWhenever Fri 01-Jul-16 14:33:47

Skinny jeans and a nice warm top. Wear whatever reflects how you normally dress, and what you feel comfortable in. The worst thing you can do is buy something new and then discover it's scratchy or rides up etc.
Confidence and comfort are key. Good luck !

IfNotNowThenWhenever Fri 01-Jul-16 14:34:11

Boxing match though..?!

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 14:40:27

I know sounds a little odd but we've already done coffee and talked about it so he got tickets.

What constitutes a warm evening top in July?? A polo neck? I am so out of touch it's embarrassing

WaccaWacca Fri 01-Jul-16 14:49:07

What about a jumpsuit? I always think they look pretty smart casual. Something like this?
Or this?

You could add a cardigan or blazer for warmth and sexy it up with some heels.

(P.s. Don't wear gym kit!))

retainertrainer Fri 01-Jul-16 15:24:41

I'd go with pencil trousers (are they called that?! The slim ones that taper in and stop and the ankle) cigarette trousers? Is that their name? Or skinny jeans,a blazer and top of some sort (I'd go with a silky camisole type) and then a big scarf and cross body bag and low kitten sling backs.

retainertrainer Fri 01-Jul-16 15:27:55

Something like this maybe?

retainertrainer Fri 01-Jul-16 15:29:37

Or this

FashionLover1 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:38:40

I would say choose jumpsuit or dress. And don't forget to smile a lot ;)

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 16:33:52

Love the suggestions, thank you. I may have to get some new shoes as only have sandals or boots which may look too heavy?? Or will they be ok?

Can't believe I'm planning this already smile

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 16:34:56

Jumpsuit...quite like this idea but what about the loo? Won't it all be all over the floor or is there a knack? Gosh, showing my age I reckon...

RoganJosh Fri 01-Jul-16 16:35:56

I would get some ambiguous slim black trousers with a niceish top and a jacket or cardigan in case it's cold. I'd go sandals unless it's properly cold that day.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 01-Jul-16 17:23:22

A jumpsuit is bang on trend and nicer than plain trousers I think. Just time the loo breaks.

retainertrainer Fri 01-Jul-16 17:25:04

I wouldn't wear boots,sandals would be good. Yeh you have to strip off when you go to the loo in a jumpsuit.

PeachyStone Fri 01-Jul-16 17:35:33

I went on a first date a couple of weeks ago, wore skinny jeans and a blue and white stripes Bardot top with black heels. I've got got lots of tattoos and cracking boobs so it works for me. Shows off all the good things whilst not showing off loads of flesh at the same time which is how I feel comfortable.
I may have also bombarded friends with selfies so I could get one honest and brutal opinions smile
Remember to have fun.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 01-Jul-16 20:15:36

Ooh yes Bardot tops are great too liking PeachyStone's outfit.

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 20:57:59

I feel an ASOS spree coming on, thanks for all the suggestions, Bardot top sounds like a good one-I like my shoulders smile

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 21:04:38

What about this top?

http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6315351

With grey jeans, sandals and biker jacket? Or too casual?

jubileepancakes Fri 01-Jul-16 21:06:43

Or this one?
http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5563743

I have some skinny jeans like the ones the model is wearing or too casual?

PeachyStone Fri 01-Jul-16 21:31:27

www.tesco.com/direct/ff-striped-off-the-shoulder-top/326-8764.prd?pageLevel=&

This is what I wore, but as I'm a size 16 it clunge to my curvy bits.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 02-Jul-16 08:54:46

I actually prefer the metallic one especially for a date as it's a bit more evening and date like. The skinny jeans the model is wearing there is fine. What may need a look at is footwear, do you want to go glizty trainers, plain etc. Maybe not heels. Top Shop do some nice black ghillie shoes that are dressy.

the striped one I think is a bit too casual.

GiddyGiddyGoat Sat 02-Jul-16 09:19:59

Do you actually like boxing op? Getting to know each other while two men beat the living daylights out of each other in front of you?? What's wrong with dinner?

retainertrainer Sat 02-Jul-16 13:05:09

Giddy-obviously she does or she wouldn't be going. It might not be your cup of tea but no need to take the shine off it for someone else. She's asking for outfit advice not snide remarks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now