Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else hate the hairdressers blowdry?

(69 Posts)
user1467042399 Thu 30-Jun-16 08:09:44

Honestly my hair is fine and no matter which hairdressers I go I end up looking like it's stuck to my head.
No volume it's just lank and straight.
Then they go over it with straighteners which makes it even worse.
No matter how many times j say I like volume.
Why can't they do a blow dry with volume.

orangebird69 Thu 30-Jun-16 08:15:45

Change your hairdresser. I have very thick wild hair (Google Crystal Tipps). A good hairdresser can blow dry my hair beautifully without the need to use straighteners. I don't want poker straight and flat eithe. That's so 2006.

sleepwhenidie Thu 30-Jun-16 08:18:20

Change your hairdresser! Or just ask for a rough dry and save your money!

SpaghettiMeatballs Thu 30-Jun-16 08:19:05

I wouldn't say I hate it but the first thing I do when I get home is run a brush through it. They always make it so 'fixed' iyswim?

everdene Thu 30-Jun-16 08:35:15

I hate it, she is incredible at cut and colouring, but her blow dries are not good! Mine does some tv people's hair and sometimes I look at their finished looks and feel a bit confused

DrivingMissLazy1 Thu 30-Jun-16 08:39:35

No, I love it. My hair looks so shiney and swishy and despite trying, I can't recreate the look myself.

user1467042399 Thu 30-Jun-16 08:40:34

The hairdresser is about 30 min train ride away too and yesterday I got on and felt like the girl from the Adams family(as my hair is dark) and she dyed my forehead dark too and it wouldn't budge.
This is why I never go to the hairdressers much.

dudsville Thu 30-Jun-16 08:42:18

Research hairdressers in your area before booking.
When you see something happening you don't want stop it.
Take pics to help you communicate.

Dfg15 Thu 30-Jun-16 08:45:01

She dyed your forehead! That's really bad. My hairdresser goes around my hairline with wipes once she put the dye on. I never have mine blow dried, I prefer to do it myself.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 08:46:20

Be specific, tell them you don't want straighteners as you like it dried with a circular brush with lots of volume.

I hate my hair straightened too,it looks like a wig on me. My hairdresser is fantastic but recently a trainee did it and hadn't got a clue, I think people are so used to straightening now they've forgotten how to dry with a brush.

coffeetasteslikeshit Thu 30-Jun-16 08:47:04

I just tell my hairdresser that I don't want it blow dried and so she doesn't. Why is your hairdresser ignoring you?

user1467042399 Thu 30-Jun-16 09:01:32

I don't have a clue confused
Yesterday I specifically said I don't like my hair flat and too straight can you do it with volume and she agreed then continued to straighten it like a mad woman lol

Hockeydude Thu 30-Jun-16 09:03:28

Don't get it dried and don't get it straightened. I just get mine cut quickly and leave with it wet.

BumbleNova Thu 30-Jun-16 09:03:46

haha! i know what you mean OP! I am now mega firm about the straighteners. no damn straighteners come anywhere near my hair. I also think its a sign of a bad hairdresser. if they need to use straighteners to check they havent missed anything I wont go let them anywhere near my hair again. did they also not ask how you want it blow dried?

crayfish Thu 30-Jun-16 09:28:05

I know what you mean too, I have 'problem' hair - it's very fine and frizzy and wavy in parts, straight in others, very dry ends, greasy roots etc etc etc, it's awful. I have literally never had a good blow dry at a salon. It's always flat as a pancake with weird wavy bits. I see other people come out of hairdressers with lovely swishy hair and just don't know what's going wrong! I can do a reasonable blow-dry on myself so I know it's not impossible.

I've tried loads of different hairdressers too, but agree that since straighteners came into fashion hairdressers have lost some skill with a brush.

user1467042399 Thu 30-Jun-16 09:31:04

No never asked how I wanted it blow dryed just went at it.
Also what is it with bloody thinning scissors
My hair is fine to start with it doesn't need thinning scissors.
My poor hair is so thin now

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 09:44:19

You need to find another hairdresser's!

hollyisalovelyname Thu 30-Jun-16 09:52:45

I love my blow dry.
When I win the lottery I shall go to the hairdtessers as often as I need to. smile

BurningGubbins Thu 30-Jun-16 09:54:27

I always have the opposite problem - I have very thick hair that needs to be strapped down so I have to say several times 'no volume' if I have a new hairdresser. I think they just get so used to finishing cuts in a certain way they can be on autopilot.

littlemouse9 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:00:26

I have the worst hair in the world to 'do' (coarse but with baby bits at my hairline, sort of curly but not) and spend my life with it just thrown in a messy high bun thing. my hairdresser does it without touching straighteners, just a low heat hairdryer, and makes it look amazing. I would get it done every morning if I could!

gingerboy1912 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:07:53

I don't have a blow dry, my hairdresser just makes me look like a middle aged librarian it's dreadful so I just have a dry cut although she sprays it with water from the squirty thing to dampen it then I go home and wash n dry it myself much better much cheaper.

pippinandtog Thu 30-Jun-16 10:10:12

Ask for a "curly blow dry" ( the one with all the brushes and bobby pins).
If your hairdresser doesn't do them, find one who does.
Could be the future!

N0tfinished Thu 30-Jun-16 17:15:30

God, I so agree about the thinning scissors! No one likes me those bloody things, I think it's a sign of a bad hairdresser... My hair is pretty easy- straight, not too thin or thick but the last one I went to tried to use them despite me specifically saying I didn't want them.

originalmavis Thu 30-Jun-16 17:19:00

It doesn't matter what they do I always have the urge to ruffle my hair after being at the hairdressers.

You know the way a wet dog shakes itself and rolls on the grass? That's me.

TanTanNubuck Thu 30-Jun-16 17:23:09

I have the opposite problem, thick voluminous hair and my stylist does a mid 1960s bouffant when she dries mine. It's horrendous. When I leave the salon I always hope it's raining so I can hide under my umbrella and just drive home asap to flatten the fecker down.
She's very talented with colour and I get a great cut and she's cheap. But I'd never go to her for just a blow dry, not worth the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now