Talk

Advanced search

Emergency stylish waterproof coat help!

(9 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Wed 29-Jun-16 22:54:51

Off to a festival on Sat & Sun. Weather looking atrocious. I've only got a heavy Barbour or very light weight rain coat. I have a small budget - up to £50 at the very most. I'm really annoyed because I have perfect outfits for the weekend (skinny jeans, floaty blouses, wellies). I need something very waterproof and preferably stylish to go over the top. We're in the VIP bit, so last minute garden centre purchase is out! The closest thing I've found so far is a wax fisherman rain Mac at ASOS. I don't love it though. It's a festival with 2 toddlers who will love the mud, so it will need to be practical too. I've also got to get the 15 mo wellies thinking about it. Preferably Peppa Pig. Better get googling! We are not camping as it's local to us so at least I can dress / take spares in the car each day.

PopGoesTheWeaz Wed 29-Jun-16 23:21:21

does seasalt have anything suitable?

dudsville Thu 30-Jun-16 08:47:08

Tkmaxx? I found a lovely high end brand mac for £60.

Laquila Thu 30-Jun-16 09:08:41

I have spent a LOT of time looking for stylish waterproofs recebtly and I hate to tell you that they simply don't exist sad

The closest I've come, depending on your personal style and projected usage are:

Joules black striped

Joules yellow

Superdry navy, although £75

ONLY parka, cheap but prob not actually waterproof

Animal jacket, but floral for me but cheap and covers bum

Another Animal one but Seasalt style, actually quite nice for the price

Who doesn't love a bright yellow cape??!

I'm weirdly drawn to thiscrazily-patterned Patagonia one

notagiraffe Thu 30-Jun-16 09:14:01

this wouldn't spoil the outfit.

Huldra Thu 30-Jun-16 10:33:57

May be worth looking at Mountain Warehouse, they have a sale and ones that are fully waterproof rather than shower proof. Pink?
www.mountainwarehouse.com/womens/jackets/womens-waterproof-jackets/omega-womens-long-jacket-p11107.aspx?cl=Lilac

elliefredericksen Thu 30-Jun-16 16:10:34

I wouldn't go anything other than properly waterproof - anything else will leak at the seams after an hour or so and you'll be cold and damp the rest of the day.

Also forget stylish --I can't stand these threads with stylish and waterproof and raincoat in the title- it doesn't exist for a small budget. You need to spend upwards of £100 to get anything remotely nice. But to feel better, have a look at recent glastonbury photos and you'll see that stylish is the last thing anyone looks or cares about in the rain.

Personally, last minute and not wanting to spend money, I'd go with layers under a massive poncho. Actually, now I've looked, this one looks quite cool

www.mountainwarehouse.com/womens-pronto-poncho-p15419.aspx?cl=Lilac

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Jun-16 20:53:47

Some great suggestions but I think that I'm going to take my two coats and stash the bigger one in the car. My Barbour is perfectly waterproof. If it's a proper downpour I'll be grateful for the warmth too! And cosy at night if it's cold. If it's a shower the other one will do.

I do love some of the sea salt coats though. I might think about one of those for autumn. I also found quite a nice very light weight North Face jacket in a sale today, which may be a contender for a summer shower jacket to keep handy.

Sorry to offend, Ellie wink I agree that really proper waterproofs are the way forward. Sadly I'll be very aware of being a frump in a waterproof coat and not gloriously smashed In a big bird poncho nostalgic grin

bojorojo Thu 30-Jun-16 21:07:40

The VIP area I went to at V Festival a few years ago wasn't anything special except the Loos were better quality with shorter queues. food outlets were more expensive. None cared what anyone looked like unless you were desperate to get noticed. The only one who looked brilliant was Beyoncé!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now