Talk

Advanced search

Deep blue mascara- nice or too 80's?

(29 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Jun-16 12:09:58

Some one mentioned on another thread that Max Factor Masterpiece doing a mascara in deep blue.

I'm old enough to remember wearing coloured mascara in the 80's so slightly dubiousgrin how blue is it, blue blue or blue black?

And what about eyeliner, what colour do you use with it?

TIA smile

CointreauVersial Wed 29-Jun-16 12:51:06

I love a blue mascara. Has to be navy, though - nothing turquoise or glittery, thanks. Current one is Rimmel, I think pinched off DD2

I tend to wear it with smudged navy eyeliner, minimal eye shadow. It's less harsh than black with my colouring.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 29-Jun-16 13:48:48

I'm on the search for a proper navy mascara (not an electric blue - now that is 80s)

I have browny/hazel eyes so navy and a touch of gold is nice .

Actually what is wrong with reliving the 80s.......

I think my last one was a Bodyshop one, I'll look there again.
Is the Rimmel a Kate Moss one ? They did a "Jewelled" range , I bought the emerald eyeliner but it was as near black as dammit sad

LaConnerie Wed 29-Jun-16 14:18:08

I use navy eyeliner and mascara sometimes - whenever I do people always say I look really healthy - I have brown eyes and it does seem to make them a bit more 'intense' looking.

I think my current navy mascara is an Avon one - I don't like many of their products but their mascaras are always good.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Jun-16 16:06:22

Ok, I'm convinced. I'll get one and have a go and make my mum promise to tell me if it looks awfulgrin

midnightmoomoo Wed 29-Jun-16 16:25:13

I use the No7 navy mascara, it stays put all day.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Jun-16 16:26:09

Coco , which one is that?

CaoNiMao Wed 29-Jun-16 16:28:11

I love the idea of blue mascara in theory, but it never looks right on me. I'm eye-centric more than a lip-centric in terms of makeup, and I really need the denseness of a black mascara, if that makes sense.

Middleoftheroad Wed 29-Jun-16 16:36:44

A work colleague wears blue mascara and eyeliner for work (so not just partay time!) and it looks lovely. It never looks right on me - it didnt in the 80s either - but I think that if you can wear it and get it right it's really striking.

CointreauVersial Wed 29-Jun-16 18:00:03

70 - I just ran upstairs to check - yes, it is the Rimmel Kate Moss one. The shade is Eye Rock Sapphire; it's lovely. The brush is a bit weird though.

emilythomson313 Wed 29-Jun-16 18:28:51

I like the concept of blue mascara, but I don't really think it looks good on me, I always wear black mascara - Loreal Volume Million Lashes and I love it. But I think it depends on the person really

bearofnothingness Wed 29-Jun-16 18:30:16

i have a teal mascara (clinique) it's great, so different from the 80s versions!

FlindersKeepers Wed 29-Jun-16 20:39:29

I'm a massive fan of navy mascara, my favourite was YSL Babydoll, but they have discontinued any shade but black. YSL false lash is a great colour, but cloggy. My replacement is DiorShow Iconic in dark navy. Dark navy mascara makes the white of your eyes brighter and hides tiredness. It is like magic.
In liners, here are a few true dark navy.
Tight liner: Marc Jacobs Navy Noir
Pencil: BB Longwear Black Navy
Liquid: DiorLiner pen Navy (might not be widely available in UK)
Winged: Waterproof DiorLiner Waterproof
Cheapo/Gel: Maybelline Gel pot (better than BB)
Grey blue pencil: Lancôme 017 Gris Bleu
Yes, I'm a bit obsessive about it hahahahaha.

everdene Wed 29-Jun-16 21:09:59

Like Coco I totally rate No 7's navy mascara, it makes your eyes look whiter.

iseenodust Wed 29-Jun-16 21:20:54

Currently using Mac Toledo mascara in navy which builds up quite well.
M&S do a true navy eyeliner pencil that stays on well.
Benefit have a blue blue mascara if feeling brave.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Jun-16 21:22:05

Oooo thanks for all the recommendations !

midnightmoomoo Wed 29-Jun-16 22:16:29

The one I use is Intense Volume in navy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Jun-16 23:04:37

Oh great, thank you. I already use that one in black,have used it for years and years.

SpeakerOfTheHouse Thu 30-Jun-16 11:40:27

I use Dior Show in Blue, it is a brighter blue than navy, I have blue eyes though so I find it really works for me, I wear it with blue eyeliner... doesn't look 80s at all tbh... I think it depends on your eye colour.

Dior

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 12:04:04

My eyes are grey, think I'd better stick to navy or I might fully embrace the 80's again!😂

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Jul-16 15:03:19

I got the No 7 one it was the left one so obviously I was meant to have itwink

Just tried it with grey eyeliner and it looks great, really brightens my eyes up without being too obvious.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 01-Jul-16 15:57:26

grin I bought the No7 navy one as well (with the money off voucher too) and they have a Buy one Get one half price offer on.

The "They're Real" blue is more cobalt than navy

Do you use the navy on its own?

Back in the day (the 80s when I was teenaged and gawjus I wore either black tipped with blue (subtle) or blue edged with black (like a liner) or blue on the lower lashes only (Disco !! )

But I think that was a bright blue rather than navy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Jul-16 15:58:59

The one in the 80's was seriously blue and bright!!😂

ChishandFips33 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:39:23

I wear Loreal Midnight black/purple but they also do a blue one

The brush is fab and lashes look longer and thicker. It flakes but I now comb it out a couple of times before leaving the house

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Jul-16 22:44:14

Comb it out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now