Prom makeup - professional or not?

(6 Posts)
justanothermum101 Tue 28-Jun-16 17:34:03

dd1 prom in a couple of Wednesday's. She had the option of getting it done with her hair (in a package at a near beauticians) or doing it herself.

She is unsure as doesn't want to look overly made up or wrong foundation etc but alternatively doesn't know if her skills are up to it (mine are not - I'm a makeup phobe!).

Due to unforeseen circumstances , we'll be out of the country until them so she won't be able to practice much or have a trial in the salon.

So wise mumsneters - what should she do?

justanothermum101 Tue 28-Jun-16 17:41:43

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 28-Jun-16 19:28:20

In a list of things to pay for, that is literally the last thing I would consider.

However, if you're paying for her hair do and it won't break the bank then why not? If she doesn't habitually wear make up though why not just a mascara and a nice lipgloss for a more 'polished' look?

Is she Y11 or 6th Form?

PotteringAlong Tue 28-Jun-16 19:29:38

It's a school party. Why does she need professional make up?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 28-Jun-16 19:30:00

Actually I take it back. Don't let her have the make up done if she can't have a trial. She'll be devastated if she doesn't like it.

Can't she invite some friends round to get dolled up, maybe try out with them?

Birdsgottafly Tue 28-Jun-16 21:09:27

Is the Salon on FB, or Instagram? there's usually pictures on there of different looks.

Most of the girls in my DDs year, four years ago, had their hair and make up done, as a package. That seems to be the norm.

You can ask for what you want, colour wise and looks wise.

""It's a school party. Why does she need professional make up?""

It's more than a school party, it's one of the 'special life/coming of age' events, the pictures are ones that you should like to look back on.

Has she found the look that she wants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now