Talk

Advanced search

Should I have a "skin care regime"?

(15 Posts)
Heratnumber7 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:49:16

I wash my face, in the shower usually, with face wash not soap. But that's it.
I don't think I look my age.

Do I need a "regime"? And if so, what should it be?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 23-Jun-16 20:51:28

If you want to keep it simple, you need to add a moisturiser with an SPF of at least 25, ie, it will say SPF25 on it.

CheshireSplat Thu 23-Jun-16 20:52:14

I don't know the answer but thought I'd share a story. I went to a posh spa and a beautiful,young woman asked me what my beauty routine was. I said "sometimes I take my make up off before bed!". She looked horrified!!!

So, sorry, I'm no expert.

Heratnumber7 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:58:52

I know people who sell moisturiser say you need moisturiser. But why? What does it do? Would I really look any different if I used it?

SweetChickadee Thu 23-Jun-16 21:02:05

My face would feel tight right away after cleansing, and then start to flake after a few days if I didn't moisturize, especially my forehead.

In fact I have to moisturize all my skin, especially lower legs or I get very flaky and scaly

you're lucky!

camelfinger Thu 23-Jun-16 21:06:36

I mess about with all sorts of skin products and my skin is just shit. Just looking over at DH who does precisely bugger all and he has no spots, few lines and his skin is all the same colour. The best regime for me was pregnancy. I could leave makeup on overnight and not touch a moisturiser for months and it looked great.

Heratnumber7 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:15:08

Ah well, I don't cleanse either. I wash.

Heratnumber7 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:16:03

My legs are dry though. I do put stuff on them.

Floisme Thu 23-Jun-16 22:13:04

I would clean your face at least once a day and start using sunscreen. Definitely.

Moisturiser? Dunno. It's supposed to plump up your skin so wrinkles are less visible but if you're happy with your skin as it then maybe you don't need it?

I should add that I've always used it myself but I suspect not smoking, sunbathing and living a relatively blameless life have probably done more good than a bit of greasy stuff from a jar.

TheOddity Thu 23-Jun-16 22:16:50

Honestly I don't give a shit or even notice other people's skin in real life, and then on photos, that's what the youcam perfect app was made for. No real makeup or good skin needed, just blur to your heart's content. I tried on my 1 week baby and it even found a couple of eye bags to remove on her I then went on to make her up like a little tiny Geisha for my own amusement

CoolToned Thu 23-Jun-16 22:24:04

Sunblock.

Heratnumber7 Thu 23-Jun-16 22:42:22

I use sunblock if outside a lot in the summer. But not if I'm in the office all day.
Does washing = cleansing?

I often think I should be doing "something", but also sceptical of the beauty industry in general and wonder how much they're scamming us.

Floisme Fri 24-Jun-16 07:04:16

We're being royally scammed. I despise them.

However I take more notice of the British Association of Dermatologists and their advice is that UVA rays penetrate cloud and glass. I wear sunscreen every day (separate, not just moisturiser with SPF) although admittedly I'm very fair skinned with lots of moles so it's not just vanity.

We were always told that soap and water wouldn't get your face properly clean.... I rather suspect that was another scam but anyway I cleanse with almond oil and a flannel.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 25-Jun-16 10:11:57

Face wash counts as cleansing. Dove face soap is one of the few 'soaps' recomended by Dermatologists as being ok for your skin, and quite cheap, if you want a change from your face wash.

I do think we are being scammed in lots of skin care, but I do the basics of cleanse, moisturise with an SPF as there is evidence there, and I don't have to spend a fortune on it. I have tried the serum route, etc....Two things happened. 1) It made my life more complicated and 2) Didn't make the slightest difference to my skin! (Although I appreciate others may have a different experience).

Heratnumber7 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:03:31

Think I might try some products to see if I see a difference. Dove maybe, or I like the sound of almond oil.
If I remember I'll come back and post an update smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now