Talk

Advanced search

Why won't my hair grow?

(8 Posts)
Dollygirl2008 Thu 23-Jun-16 16:40:53

Hi, I'm early 40's and my hair is a bloomin nightmare! It just won't grow - well, it grows because my roots show soon enough but clearly it just breaks. Yes, I do have it highlighted and yes I do use straightners but I wouldn't say I overly abuse it and I do try to use wide tooth combs, deep conditioners etc. I've tried supplements and all the usual good practice but its just grim.

I did wonder whether it might be the coil I'm on or whether I'm just clutching at straws. The supplements seem to be working on mynails, but still my hair fails to grow. I've gone through a bit of a traumatic year (although I don't think this has anything to do with it as its been like it for a few years) but my confidence has been knocked, and I miss my hair to hide behind metaphorically speaking!

Any words of wisdom would be welcome

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 23-Jun-16 16:48:32

YOU wouldn't say you abuse it, your hair has a different opinion from the sound of it.

I'm 39 and my hair has definitely become weaker.

The question is why does it break, if your colouring and straightening that's a fair bit of damage.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 23-Jun-16 16:52:26

You could try not shampooing the ends of your hair, using oil or protein masks and a natural bristle brush. A silk pillow case might help if you get breakage, and not putting it up tightly in a towel turban when wet or rubbing it dry. A heat protector especially on the ends will help as will trimming off split ends straight away so they don't split higher up the hair shaft causing more to break off.

You could (gulp) stop having it highlighted as bleach is harsh but if you want it done, make sure the hairdresser is just adding bleach to the roots. There's no need to rebleach the mid lengths or ends.

Good luck smile

EatShitDerek Thu 23-Jun-16 16:56:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StillMedusa Thu 23-Jun-16 17:32:50

Did it used to grow and has now stopped, or was it always fragile?
Hair does change as you hit your 40s for many women it becomes thinner with the approaching menopause.
I sometimes take Biotin supplements, because my nails just disintegrate..they are suppose to work wonders for hair and nails, but hair is thick and growing..just grey!

If it's breaking tho it really needs a rest from highlighting/straigteners combo. I straighten mine but I gave up the dye 8 months ago and the natural hair is SO much softer and healthier than the coloured stuff (grim growing it out tho!)

kiwiblue Thu 23-Jun-16 17:46:17

You can also cut down the bleach but still highlight. I've been doing that and mine is so much healthier because of it- my hairdresser started using darker blondes and gradually we removed the bleach entirely. Also how often do you wash your hair? Doing that less frequently can help too.

pattimayonnaise Thu 23-Jun-16 18:12:14

I had the same problem and I had some darker ones put through. Try starting with one bleach to two non bleach to break it up a bit. Get it cut every 10 weeks or so, although if the ends are weak you may need a bigger cut initially. Redken all soft or extreme heavy creams are good as well for an overnight treatment. Try to leave it to dry naturally at least some of the time.

Dollygirl2008 Fri 24-Jun-16 10:42:02

Thank you for all of you comments - I only have one bleach at the moment to two non, but I might go for all non and take it down a shade or two (not a bad thing at my age!!!!). I'm defnately going to get some Redken as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now