Talk

Advanced search

Please help me be a curly girl :)

(10 Posts)
mumtosp Thu 23-Jun-16 09:28:23

I have been on S&B numerous times before, asking for tips for managing my thick, wavy/curly, frizzy hair. Every time I was hoping that MN would give me a quick solution for smooth and shiny straight hair and every time the majority of MN asked me to embrace my curls. Confession: I ignored your advice as I didn't see myself as a curly girl blush

However, now the notion is really growing on me, but I don't know where to start! confused

Questions:
1. Do I need to buy the curly girl handbook and is it easy to follow?
2. How often am I allowed to wash my hair? Currently, it's only twice a week and I really want to stick to that (I know a few curly girls at work who wash their hair every other day!)
3. I use the Bodyshop rainforest shampoo and conditioner? Are these ok? I use coconut oil as a pre conditioner and a few drops of argon oil after a wash when my hair is wet... nothing else. What else do I need?
4. Finally, I have just had my hair cut and got it massively thinned out... was that a mistake?

TIA smile

mumtosp Thu 23-Jun-16 12:40:58

bump

krisskross Thu 23-Jun-16 12:45:49

Watching with interest.... In this,weather I'm a big frizz bomb....my hair is getting bigger by the hour....

mumtosp Thu 23-Jun-16 12:49:00

krisskross I was inspired when I came across this video
smile

Pisssssedofff Thu 23-Jun-16 13:03:59

I've not bought the book but started using the umberto curly range, the gel is great. I just deep condition once a week, no more shampoo and let it dry naturally. Then once every three months I get a cut, colour and blow dry the shit out of it and I'm happy and for two days my hair looks nice.

Pisssssedofff Thu 23-Jun-16 13:04:59

Rainforest's fine according to the Facebook group

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 23-Jun-16 20:30:56

You're doing it already!

I wash with sulfates and silicone free shampoo every two to three days. The important bit for me is no brushing! I seriously haven't brushed my hair in about 9 months.

Use your fingers to detangle, part where you normally do then apply product when wet. I use Tesco super cheap gel (seriously I think it's about 30p a tub) and apply generously. Try not to touch hair till bone dry (I normally use a hairdryer) and the scrunch the crunch out. I get perfectly sculpted curls with no crunch.

Also, use a t shirt instead of towel and blot don't rub your hair. Look up 'plopping'.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 23-Jun-16 20:31:59

I did used to not use conditioner by the way but actually the shampoo means I can last longer between washes. I normally wet through then use mousse to revitalise the curls between washes.

confuseddotcom82 Thu 23-Jun-16 22:51:23

I'd buy the book I think it's worth it, also there are lots of you tube videos if you google Lorraine Massey (the author of the book)

AstoriaMalfoy Thu 23-Jun-16 23:13:04

I second the no brushing thing. I only comb with a wide tooth comb in the shower . I use boots curl creme (pink pot ) which is amazing and cheap as chips . Believe me I've tried everything .

I put a small amount then rub together till it goes white then scrunch on wet hair . Then leave to air dry . It will go slightly crunchy at first then when dry scrunches out to lovely curls grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now