Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh shopping help needed.

(19 Posts)
LoveGigi Wed 22-Jun-16 23:42:38

I'm heading up to Edinburgh this weekend to celebrate a big birthday. I haven't lived there since 2000 so I'm out of touch with where to shop. For my birthday present I'd like to find a necklace/pendant by a Scottish jeweller/silversmith. I'm looking for something quirky or different. So where do I head to to find what I'm looking for? Gallery shops? Independent gift shops?

WhiteHairReally Wed 22-Jun-16 23:50:23

There are independent jewellers along Rose Street, although more 'vintage' but some have more modern designs.
A number of jewellers along Morningside Road too, with local designers featured. I'm sure Stockbridge would also prove a good hunting ground too, but I don't know it well.
There are also 'Traditional Scottish Jewelry' to be had along the Royal Mile, down towards Holyrood, but These are more tourist orientated.
Happy significant Birthday! Enjoy your weekend back in the Burgh.

FannyFifer Wed 22-Jun-16 23:53:39

Sheila Fleet?
https://sheilafleet.com/shops/edinburgh-gallery
Think leith has a few independent jeweller shops.
Can't think of any other names though sorry..

Kirriemuir Thu 23-Jun-16 07:00:42

I agree that Rose Street will probably be your best bet.

AdelindSchade Thu 23-Jun-16 07:10:27

Stockbridge and Bruntsfield both used to have wee independent jewellers shops. Although I couldn't guarantee still there but if you Google.

Bluebird1234 Thu 23-Jun-16 10:40:34

Hamilton & Inches make beautiful silver jewellery above their shop on George Street. I have two necklaces and wear them all the time.

lurkingfromhome Thu 23-Jun-16 10:52:28

Annie Smith in Stockbridge is very nice, and more modern

DebratsEtiquette Thu 23-Jun-16 10:55:59

I second Annie Smith. V. small shop but lovely pieces.

Summer23 Thu 23-Jun-16 11:02:02

Yeah Annie Smith Stockbridge or Rosie Brown in Bruntsfield. Maybe check out the websites before you go to see if they stock the kind of thing you're looking for. Have fun smile

LoveGigi Thu 23-Jun-16 11:11:18

That's really helpful thanks. I have a couple of pieces of jewellery from Scottish jewellers such as Malcom Appleby and Anna Gordon. I used to go to Edinburgh College of Art so I suppose I'd like to see if anywhere stocked any new graduate designers perhaps. I'll check out many of the places mentioned above. I do love Stockbridge so will pop into Annie Smith.

FannyFifer Thu 23-Jun-16 16:04:02

This looks quite interesting.
http://www.silverhubstudios.com/jewellers-in-residency/

KondoAttitude Thu 23-Jun-16 18:08:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveGigi Thu 23-Jun-16 20:14:14

Ooh lots of options! Wish I was staying for longer... too much shopping to do, so little time!

balkanscot Thu 23-Jun-16 23:29:55

I highly recommend Concrete Wardrobe.

LoveGigi Fri 24-Jun-16 13:27:31

Thanks Balkanscot, that looks like just the kind of place I was looking for.

weebarra Fri 24-Jun-16 13:31:32

Annie Smith's shop is lovely and I do like a bit of Sheila Fleet!

GingerLDN Sat 25-Jun-16 02:01:13

I like Palenque. I think they're on Rose Street and The Royal Mile.

cindyrella Sat 25-Jun-16 07:25:55

Aim to go to Stockbridge on Sunday and you'll catch the Stockbridge market which is full of independent food & craft makers.

LoveGigi Sat 25-Jun-16 08:57:59

Lots of great suggestions thanks, I'm heading up tomorrow morning so will be there by lunch, I might make the Stockbridge Market! Can't wait, I love Edinburgh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now