Talk

Advanced search

Help!! Where do you shop for 13 year old boys clothes?

(80 Posts)
I8toys Tue 21-Jun-16 13:20:47

My eldest ds has asked me to take him shopping for clothes for his birthday. I don't follow fashion particularly and like what I like. He is starting to want to be a bit more fashionable. His dad isn't at all.

I mainly shop for him at H&M and sports shops. He's a gamer but also plays football.

Any advice greatly appreciated? Please don't say Superdry though as I hate labels like that.

Cakescakescakes Tue 21-Jun-16 13:23:02

My nephews like Jack Wills. Preppy kind of stuff. And H&M. And Top Shop. Where do his friends shop?

SimplyNigella Tue 21-Jun-16 13:25:10

Zara, Jack Wills, Hollister, Topman, Urban Outfitters are all good places to try. ASOS has plenty of choice if you don't mind online.

Artandco Tue 21-Jun-16 13:38:01

Banana republic, finisterre, tkmax

At that age he's mainly grown probably so I would get a few decent pieces as they are likely to last a good few years

A nice casual blazer he can wear with jeans. A decent round neck merino wool jumper. A casual shirt or two ( can get winter brushed cotton type), a few plain tshirts in various colours. Some shoes he likes that aren't trainers, something that's good for walking/ waterproof and the odd kick around of football also. Leather casual boots type thing.

Maybe allow underwear to be ungraded to something like Calvin Klein ( Dh says decent underwear is key apparently)

I8toys Tue 21-Jun-16 13:42:10

Thanks all. I asked him about his friends but he has no clue.

I am going to take him to Meadowhall or Old Trafford and give him £250 to spend - probably won't go very far but he can then pick what he wants. Was thinking Vans stuff. Also will try Zara and Topman. Good tip about the underwear!!!!

maddiesparks Tue 21-Jun-16 18:28:35

My 14 year old ds likes also into gaming and a sports fanatic - he likes Jack Wills and sporty labels like Nike and Adidas. H & M for high street.

CPtart Tue 21-Jun-16 18:45:51

JD Sports a big favourite here at the moment.

titchy Tue 21-Jun-16 18:56:06

A casual blazer and merino jumper - shockplease no. He's 13 not 43.

titchy Tue 21-Jun-16 18:57:24

H&M, Zara, River Island, Top man, holluster, urban outfitters.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 21-Jun-16 18:59:11

Don't over look Primark for basics like skinny jeans then you can splurge on hoodies.

Thecazelets Tue 21-Jun-16 19:01:02

Similar to all the above, esp Jack Wills. Doubt he'll have finished growing though - my 13 yo ds has grown 4 inches since Xmas and gone up 2 shoe sizes. So I'd say 'name' tshirts and hoodies rather than expecting anything to last long size wise.

dementedma Tue 21-Jun-16 19:03:44

Do 13 year olds wear blazers with jeans? Not round here.
We can't stretch to cashmere, or even top brands. At 14 he is still growing like a weed so for us I'm afraid it's Sports Direct, Asda, Matalan, but decent footie boots and astros.

Wineandpopcorn Tue 21-Jun-16 19:06:32

Sports Direct and JDSports are the only places my 13 year old will go.

Casual blazer and the funny jumper grin not in this life time grin

Mirandawest Tue 21-Jun-16 19:09:01

My almost 13 year old says Hype

Artandco Tue 21-Jun-16 19:09:59

My 5 year old wears a casual blazer and woolen jumper... They are just normal smart casual clothing which is what op said she wanted

titchy Tue 21-Jun-16 19:13:55

She said he wants fashionable stuff not smart casual....

titchy Tue 21-Jun-16 19:14:59

And I'm sure your 5 year old looks adorable in a blazer and jumper, but not for teens unless he's a public school, made in Chelsea type.

Artandco Tue 21-Jun-16 19:16:17

Ok fashionable.. It's def the fashion around here for all ages. I'm not saying a suit, but a casual blazer with jeans or chinos.

Artandco Tue 21-Jun-16 19:16:55

I do actually live in Chelsea though..

steppemum Tue 21-Jun-16 19:17:02

ds is 13, he loves superdry, jack wills, hype, nike

he is happy to team these with Asda skinny jeans.

we are fortunate in having an outlet centre near us, which has superdry and nike and good prices.

At that age he's mainly grown probably so I would get a few decent pieces as they are likely to last a good few years
no. not yet, nowhere near.
I am expecting ds to end up 6' or taller (both sides of the family very tall, and he has huge feet and hands) so far he hasn't quite caught up with me (5'8'')

suit2845321oie Tue 21-Jun-16 19:21:41

Slim jeans and chinos in primark along with plain v neck tshirts. Top shop, river island and H&M for other core items. Overpriced utterly ridiculous Nike Trainers and Supreme, Palace, Hype for overpriced tshirts. Jack Wills never been mentioned here and I echo no no no to merino jumpers and Blazers.

Kenworthington Tue 21-Jun-16 19:30:38

Christ my very trendy 13 yr old Ds wouldn't be seen dead in a blazer and chinos!
He likes Adidas hoodies, skin tight top man jeans, tshirt either sports brands or urban outfitters or skatery brands. Expensive adidas or Nike trainers, plaid shirts and a bit of vintage (eg bombers and sweats), he even will wear women's adidas leggings and sweatshirts. He wouldn't ever go in jack wills and doesn't like hollister but will go to Zara (bizarrely) and river Island (but doesn't fit him that well), he's 5'10 and skinny as a rake.

dementedma Tue 21-Jun-16 19:46:44

All these skinny jeans wearing teens! Has anyone got a chunky 14 year old and if so, what do they wear? Couldn't get Ds into skinnies with oil and a shoehorn! Already 5 ft 10, size 10 feet, broad shoulders and generally, well, huge!
All the trendy shops sell skinny!

Wineandpopcorn Tue 21-Jun-16 19:50:37

My 13 year old refuses to wear any kind of jeans, he only wears tracksuit bottoms!

Cakescakescakes Tue 21-Jun-16 19:51:28

Blazer on a five year old????? Bizarre. What happened to comfy clothes. 5 is so young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now