Talk

Advanced search

Visiting a mosque

(5 Posts)
Hayels Mon 20-Jun-16 20:09:53

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm in need of some advice! Have also put this on the religion board but not sure.
Some business contacts have invited me and some colleagues to visit the mosque during Ramadan as part of 'share Ramadan'. There's a three course meal, opportunity for questions and to watch the sunset prayer. I'm really interested and really looking forward to going (am a practising Christian and have been in a non-Christian place of worship before and am fascinated by other cultures). However - and this is trivial - I have no idea what to wear!! I have only realised today that I have no trousers that aren't skinny type jeans/trousers. I could probably find a below the knee skirt but would that be ok? I really don't know!!
Thanks in advance for any advice

HermioneWeasley Mon 20-Jun-16 20:12:31

IMO skinny jeans would be OK with a long top - like a tunic, not hip length.

Cover your arms to the elbow at least and I would cover my hair visiting a mosque

TheNotoriousPMT Mon 20-Jun-16 21:13:11

I visited a mosque for an event that sounded very similar. Jeans were absolutely fine. A group of us all took scarves to cover our hair but were emphatically told we did not have to wear them. We did have to take off our shoes though, so make sure you have your best socks on wink
Also, avoid tight waist bands. The mosque I visited had absolutely incredible food. Have fun!

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 21-Jun-16 12:06:26

As long as you're legs are covered (so better to go with skinny jeans that the skirt), elbow length arms, scarf and yes to socks!

WhisperingLoudly Tue 21-Jun-16 12:09:06

It very much depends on the mosque and the cultural background of the hosts.

Skinny jeans and tunic top with long sleeves is safest bet along with scarf to cover head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now