A dress for the races?

(16 Posts)
CakeNinja Mon 20-Jun-16 20:02:51

Im looking for a shortish dress (like my legs, obviously not crotch skimming but above the knee is fine), loose sleeves (hate my arms) and not clingy.
In a size 14, nothing pink or gaudy. Wore a nice olive green coloured silky sort last year to the same event.
Can anyone make suggestions? I'm 30, hate shopping, dark hair with some caramel highlights and heavy fringe, medium brown skin tone, erm, trying to think if any more info will help?!
This is a desperate plea grin

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 13:17:33

Surely it's not an impossible find?!
Pleeeease? I will send wine or brew to anyone who can help grin

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 21-Jun-16 13:19:57

Budget?

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 21-Jun-16 13:29:34

Short dresses with long sleeves are hard to find!
Ted Baker
Black dress
Lace Crop Dress
Tutu dress skirt - too gaudy?

SmileAndNod Tue 21-Jun-16 13:36:47

I'm not sure what the quality is like, but my friend bought a dress for ladies day at Ascot from 'want that trend' online. Was incredibly cheap so good for a one off outfit. Had three quarter sleeves and above knee. She looked stunning and her outfit looked far more expensive than it was.

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 14:42:59

Thanks for the links, yes I know they're hard to find! Never know why though, so many women are conscious of their arms but have nice legs - yet it seems virtually impossible sometimes to find anything I like,

I have that ted baker print in a top, I buy quite a lot from there so know what's in there at the moment, but nothing really grabbing me.
Really like the lace tutu style one aswell.
Less keen on the others.

When I said sleeve, I really just mean covering the tops of my arms, I'm not bothered about the rest.

Thanks Smile, I had a look, it seems like that website I kept seeing advertised through Facebook that sold those Christmas dresses? I think I'll steer clear, had a quick scan through dresses and didn't see anything for me. Thanks for the suggestion though, I need the help!!

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 21-Jun-16 14:53:30

What about a sleeveless dress with a shawl/jacket?

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 14:56:07

I really cba with shawl positioning, really would prefer to not have to worry about it. And I've done it before and ended up spending evenings feeling self conscious.

Also, with a jacket, I'm not averse to wearing one but I don't want to be stuck wearing it all day. Last year was absolutely baking hot, and while we'd probably not be as lucky, I will more than likely not bother taking anything as jackets make feel and look bulky!

DavetheCat2001 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:02:50

I bought this dress on a whim a few weeks ago

www.oasis-stores.com/gb/clothing/dresses/chelsea-bell-sleeve-dress/058288.html?dwvar_058288_color=68&position=65&cgid=dresses#page=6&start=65&categoryID=dresses

It's short enough to show off your fab pins but not too weeny. It actually looks really nice on.

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 22:10:35

Gorgeous, I've just ordered it! Thankyou, I hope it looks as good on as it does in the pictures smile
wine for you!

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 22:11:54

I have ordered a 12 and a 16 as there wasn't a 14 left, but there are a few oasis stores nearby if they are too big and small, I don't mind actual shops when I know exactly what I need!

DavetheCat2001 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:17:52

hurrah! Glad to have been of help grin

I bought a 10 and I think Oasis sizes come up a wee bit big, so I reckon a 12 should do the trick.

x

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 22:29:15

Well I'm obviously going to lose tonnes of weight by then wink or, to be more precise, I'm not!
I'll test them both out and then see if I need to venture to the shops.
Have you worn it yet? It looks so nice and summery smile

DavetheCat2001 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:35:57

No I didn't actually realllly have an excuse to buy it, except that I loved it! I'm probably going to wear it to my work summer party though, depending on what the plan for that is (still tbc). I did try it on though grin

CakeNinja Tue 21-Jun-16 22:41:35

Oh it looks lovely!
What a lovely spontaneous purchase!
I never do this as I hate clothes shopping and only ever buy things because I need them grin
Love the shoes aswell, probably need to look for those too as don't think I have anything that will go...

DavetheCat2001 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:46:53

I hate traditional clothes shopping too. Trudging round shops holds no joy for me! I do quite like browsing online though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now