Makeup for beginners

(18 Posts)
Mariqui Mon 20-Jun-16 14:33:02

Hello!

I am a complete complete makeup beginner, and was just wondering if someone could advise me how to start?

I've never really worn any makeup at all other than eyeliner and mascara, but am getting to the stage now where I feel I really need a bit more coverage and a proper skin care plan. I'm open to most things, although as I don't currently wear anything I think anything too heavy will freak me out and I won't actually wear it.

I'm late twenties and my skin is pretty good overall, don't really have breakouts or extreme dryness but am starting to get wrinkles and my skin is quite dull. My under-eye circles are pretty full on though and I'd really like to appear a bit fresher and glowy. More radiant in general!

Any tips would be very gratefully received. Thank you!

KondoAttitude Mon 20-Jun-16 14:50:26

If you want some coverage but not anything too heavy then how about a BB cream or tinted moisturiser rather than a foundation? There are lots out there depending on how much you want to spend.

For concealing under-eye circles you probably want something like YSL Touche Eclat (or one of the cheaper copies, again depending on budget).

If you are still young and your skin is generally good then taking care of the basics (enough sleep, not too much sugar and alcohol, using sunscreen, no smoking, lots of water) plus a basic routine of e.g. nightly cleanse/tone/moisturise and weekly face scrub should be fine.

BananaChew Mon 20-Jun-16 15:20:41

I would recommend a BB cream to even out your skin a little..I am exactly the same, never really worn much, but last year at 29 I needed something. Rimmel 9in1 radiance BB cream is my fave. I also use a powder blush and a highlighter powder, and a tinted lip balm.

Mariqui Mon 20-Jun-16 17:56:53

Thank you Kondo and Banana, I will look into some BB cream. Do I need to use a primer too? And this is probably a really daft question, but does concealer go on before or after foundation? Thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:53:32

After foundation.

Do you use sunblock every day? Good for preventing wrinkles.

Mariqui Mon 20-Jun-16 19:08:45

Nope, am majorly guilty of forgetting sunblock! Do BB creams generally have SPF or do I need to do that separately?

Equiem89 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:11:49

What's a really good dupe for touché eclat? I used to buy it but can't afford it at the moment

wavingnow Mon 20-Jun-16 19:15:41

Can i ask, if you wear foundation or make up in general, when do you put suncream on? How do you touch up suncream when out all day?

BubsAndMoo Mon 20-Jun-16 19:20:30

I'd recommend booking makeover/lesson appointments at a few different makeup counters/shops, and asking them to teach you. Ideally go with a friend - then you can both work out what suits you but also watch the makeup artist's technique on your friend. YouTube videos - Lisa Eldridge, Pixiwoo and Wayne Goss are all makeup artists with tonnes of videos showing techniques etc. I would especially recommend Lisa Eldridge for beginner/basics videos.

Enjoy experimenting smile

Mariqui Mon 20-Jun-16 20:54:00

What's a dupe?!

I'm always quite intimidated by the counters as very obviously not wearing makeup when I go, but will try to put my big girl pants on and give it a go! Thanks for the tips Bubs!

PaniWahine Mon 20-Jun-16 21:07:35

Dupe = duplicate, at a cheaper price but hopefully as good as (or better) than the original. Lidl and Aldi is full of dupes for products, often reformulated by the original manufacturer. In makeup, it's often technology filtering down through the brand stable.

I put on moisturiser (SPF15, but unlikely to the job by itself); sunscreen (SPF50); primer (don't think it has SPF); foundation (SPF15 again); finally powder.

The inbuilt SPF is by accident, I don't choose the products based on that as the often repeated story is the amount of SPF in a product is minimal.

My tip is use a brush to apply your products. I tend to be a bit heavy handed (I'm fighting rosy cheeks versus not wanting to look like a clown) and found using a brush to apply my base forces me to be quite sheer.

Mariqui Mon 20-Jun-16 21:26:18

Great advice, thank you Pani. I'd be a bit concerned that I'd get breakouts if I applied moisturiser and sunscreen, think that might be a bit much for my skin to handle.

What's the best shape brush to use? Where do you tend to buy them?

Thanks again everyone.

BananaChew Tue 21-Jun-16 10:28:14

I use an egg sponge to apply and blend. Don't use a primer.

Squaddielife Tue 21-Jun-16 12:48:38

Flint do a great range of face care products. I use their cleanser, serum, moisturiser and primer. I then apply BB cream (with fingers oops lol), MAC translucent powder to hold and then bobby brown brightening brick powder (which can also be used as blush).
Mascara and lip gloss and i'm away

whiteonesugar Tue 21-Jun-16 13:41:16

I have never worn much make up, never really had a skin care routine either! Until I turned 30 last year I barely moisturised!

Just before returning to work from Maternity leave, I decided I wanted some sort of foundation/base so I went to the Bobbi Brown counter and got their serum in foundation which is amazing. Its spf 40, is nourishing to your skin and looks amazing - all glowy but not shiny.
I don't wear it every day but it is light enough that I could. When i do my make up for work now it only takes about 10 mins but makes a huge difference to how I feel. I would recommend visiting a beauty counter as they can give you advice on skin care too.

A BB cream is a good halfway too, the Body shop vitamin e one is really good and not expensive.

The things (in my opinion!) you need are; moisturiser, a good base, blusher, bronzer and mascara plus a good eyebrow palette. the rest can come later but those are my basics. Make sure you have decent brushes too. I use a blending sponge to put my base on and it makes a huge difference.

PaniWahine Tue 21-Jun-16 22:34:43

I buy most of my brushes off eBay; most of the high end brands get their brushes made in china anyway and I flinch at spending €50 for four makeup brushes.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Cosmetic-Make-up-Brushes-Foundation-Kabuki-Face-Powder-Blusher-Contour-Set-/152103801260?var=&hash=item236a17d1ac:m:ma3bz7YQge-cq3TQ9v71cSQ
(Quite good, very soft and wash well)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-Double-ended-Foundation-Concealer-Eyeshadow-Powder-Highlighter-Makeup-Brush-/400906107253?hash=item5d57ddb975:g:~RQAAOSwymxVNfUX
(On order, hoping it arrives soon)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Luxury-Black-Professional-Make-Up-Brush-Foundation-Blusher-Face-Powder-/201528483511?hash=item2eec089eb7:g:YCYAAOSwHaBWjm-1
(Found it good for BB creams etc)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kabuki-Flat-Contour-Blusher-Powder-Makeup-Cosmetic-Brush-Nature-Goat-Hair-New-/281922714083?var=&hash=item41a3e739e3:m:mtFTOIJmVgnsKB6VeUupvmg
(I have the one in black, and think it's brilliant - I use benefit dandelion as my blusher... Although I don't rate much of benefits cosmetics)

At the other end of the spectrum I do have some more expensive brushes

www.sephora.pl/Akcesoria/Pedzle/Cera/Pedzel-Kabuki-Flex-2-w-1/P103826

www.sephora.pl/Akcesoria/Pedzle/Cera/Pedzel-do-pudru-mineralnego-45/P1881023
(I use this for my finishing powder, HD NYX at the moment)

Generally I try to look for kabuki, even if it's fake kabuki they feel soft.

Mariqui Thu 23-Jun-16 22:55:16

Thanks Pani that's very helpful!

I think I will have to brave a make up counter as otherwise I will undoubtedly get the shade completely wrong.

MotherBluestocking Fri 24-Jun-16 00:03:40

Be very careful when trying base in a department store because the lighting always always makes it look a different colour from how it will appear in daylight. Get them to put it on for you, and then ask for a sample so that you can test it in real life.
My other tip, if your skin is looking a bit dull, is to exfoliate more. You can either use a granular scrub or (less aggressive) an acid toner using glycolic, malic or lactic acid. These have really good results but it's important not to overuse. Try twice a week to start and then build up if your skin is happy with it.
Undereye circles: Touche Eclat is very light and you might want to try a creamier concealer if you have a lot of darkness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now