Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear with a Marilyn Monroe style dress for a posh lunch?

(10 Posts)
Redcherries Mon 20-Jun-16 12:56:57

I plan on wearing a black version of the famous white dress she wore standing on the vent, not sure yet if I will go with petticoats. We are going to a posh lunch and the women are dressing up. I was considering a black shawl with red roses on, red velvet rose fascinator type thing (Dark red, just roses, 2, no other embellishment) and red shoes. I'm not sure if the shawl and roses are too gypsy Lee for the style of dress but I'm unsure what else would work with it being daytime. Normally I have no problem with things like this but I keep debating if I'm taking it in the wrong direction?

Please help with ideas!

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 20-Jun-16 13:12:31

red and black go together - I think it's the addition of the roses that make it sound rather gypsy lee. Black dress, black fascinator (no roses) and red shoes as a compromise?

Redcherries Mon 20-Jun-16 13:49:05

Black dress with red shoes is very much my standard issue, I do love those shoes! i think it may be because i haven't seen a fascinator that seems to fit the dress, being slightly 50's in style, most that I've seen have quite a modern feel. Will need a cover up as I'm very pale skinned if there is sun, but currently predicted rain. I am trawling Etsy, are there any other good websites for a more unusual fascinator rather than the likes of debenhams etc? Thank you for taking the time to respond smile

Redcherries Mon 20-Jun-16 14:05:04

It's this dress, if that helps smile

PerspicaciaTick Mon 20-Jun-16 14:15:15

I'd be tempted to go for a little black bolero (like these

And tiny burlesque-style cap/circle fascinator.

Redcherries Mon 20-Jun-16 14:21:26

Thanks Pers, that was a style I was just looking at, but with a pillbox type fascinator. I'm trying to keep in style with the cut of the dress being quite vintage without falling too far across into being head to toe in vintage. I generally wear pencil skirts/wiggle dress and heels so this is taking me a little out of my comfort zone.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 20-Jun-16 14:27:28

www.sakuradesigns.co.uk make lovely hats - not cheap, but lovely.

Queenbean Mon 20-Jun-16 14:29:17

I wouldn't wear black and red, it does sound like a bit like a fortune teller at a fair

I'd go with a cream / light brown fur stole instead.

iminshock Mon 20-Jun-16 14:33:37

I think k your plan sounds fab and I wish I could pull off that look ! Have fun !

Redcherries Mon 20-Jun-16 14:48:26

I love that site, thank you. I'm having a look now.

I can't do cream/taupe due to my colouring, I'm a natural red head with typical colouring but currently have my hair dyed a deeper red at the moment. I have to stick with black, grey, green etc or I look awful! I wouldn't wear anything red clothes wise so sometimes pick out detailing in a deep red.

Thanks Imin, It's just pulling it off without looking frumpy or too vintage obsessed but not miss matched.

Maybe a new dress is in order ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now