Talk

Advanced search

Smart/Casual Lunch and presentation.

(22 Posts)
Tate15 Sun 19-Jun-16 12:50:06

I have a lunch and presentation to go to. I went last year and it was inside a very hot building so I want to be comfortable and not overdressed kr u referenced.

Last year I was a bit overdressed!

I will have to stand up and talk so want to look half decent. I'm 50 but like to dress modestly but not too frumpy. I like black, grey and blue. Nothing too short. Not sleeveless but not long or three quarter sleeves.

I can't find anything I really like! So far have found these two but they are just OK.

http://www.asos.com/French-Connection/French-Connection-Maxi-Shirt-Dress-in-Lala-Palm-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6395498&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed

http://www.asos.com/Whistles/Whistles-Hannah-Dress-in-Mono-Floral/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6404104&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed

Tate15 Sun 19-Jun-16 12:51:23

Gah! Two of the same dress! Here is the other one!

Tate15 Sun 19-Jun-16 18:35:07

Bump

eurochick Sun 19-Jun-16 18:36:40

I would say they are both a bit shapeless and too casual for presenting. Sorry!

Hoppinggreen Sun 19-Jun-16 18:37:04

I love the first dress

Tate15 Sun 19-Jun-16 20:33:30

This is more me

www.allsaints.com/women/dresses/allsaints-breeze-devo-dress/?colour=4106&category=22

Wanted to go for something patterns thought as I have a lot of plain colour stuff which looks similar.

Tate15 Sat 25-Jun-16 07:30:38

I've ordered two All Saints dresses but am still looking.

I'm now looking at colours as opposed to black, monochrome and grey.

I like this dress, I know the style suits me but I usually wear dark colours, but this appeals to me and I have a lovely pair of old but new Fornarina wedges that would look lovely with it
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Ghost+Robyn+Dress+Pink+Sand/244990388,default,pd.html

I also like this but my size is out of stock but could order the next size up and see if it looks OK a bit looser which might be better as I do want to be comfortable

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/James+Lakeland+3/4+Sleeve+Print+Fitted+Dress/217730927,default,pd.html

PippilottaViktualia Sat 25-Jun-16 14:14:33

Have you tried FatFace, Tate ? I'm just think of Fat Face because you seem to have similar style to my Mum, (the AllSaints dress you posted is exactly what she would love) she loves FatFace when she comes over to visit...

www.fatface.com/clothing/dresses-skirts+tunics/icat/womensdressesskirtstunics

polyhymnia Sat 25-Jun-16 15:47:27

I think the Ghost dress is nice but much too floaty/ pretty, pretty for a professional occasion.

polyhymnia Sat 25-Jun-16 15:49:50

The FF dresses I can see look girly and suitable for holidays. I'd stick with Whistles, All Saints , even Cos for something sharper for that occasion.

polyhymnia Sat 25-Jun-16 15:50:41

Or Hobbs.

PippilottaViktualia Sat 25-Jun-16 16:03:52

I think OP doesn't want to look corporate? That's my feeling from the dresses she has posted so far... None of them are what I would find appropriate to wear to lunch/ to present.

It's hard to say isn't it without knowing exactly what the event is, I would wear pencil skirt, blouse, heels but OP doesn't want to look overdressed, either

What do I know, I just read a thread the other day saying Eastern Europeans have terrible dress sense, so maybe I should not be in Style & Beauty grin

polyhymnia Sat 25-Jun-16 16:12:13

Still think there's a difference between looking not over corporate and looking too casual and pretty-pretty.

Tate15 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:04:57

I could go in jeans if I so wished! It's me that wants to look nice as I will be standing up at some point and giving a talk and I want to look nice for me! Obviously I wouldn't go in jeans and no one did last year, but myself and a few others did over dress as I think they probably felt the same as me and wanted to look smart.

This year I still want to look nice but not as over dressed and comfortable as the building was hit and stuffy!

Also, I am considerably older than everyone by at least 25 years and that's another reason why I want to look nice and not stick out as an old bag!

RaisingSteam Sat 25-Jun-16 22:14:25

From observation at work, if an informal style dress then keep it black/navy monochrome i.e. a serious colour, otherwise it doesn't carry enough authority

Tate15 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:44:19

It's not my place of work! It's people from all over attending so I may not know anyone or possibly some from last year.

All female. Last year most wore what I would call 'going out' clothes' with some, me included, going for a smarter look, more day at the races without a hat!

Thank you for the fat face link but I don't really shop much in there as they are not my style at all.

polyhymnia Sun 26-Jun-16 09:06:47

No, FF not t all suitable . I'd look at the sale dresses in Hobbs if I were you.

Tate15 Sun 26-Jun-16 14:30:33

Thank you, looking at Hobbs now.

I like this so far

www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0116-5863-9094L00&productvarid=0116-5863-9094L00-RED-IVORY-12&refpage=dresses

LockedOutOfMN Sun 26-Jun-16 14:36:36

The Hobbes Francesca dress is lovely; go for it! Try and nab a seat near the window / aircon unit / fan.

Ilovetorrentialrain Sun 26-Jun-16 14:43:31

Oh that Hobbs one looks perfect! Love the bow detail.

Hoppinggreen Sun 26-Jun-16 17:20:50

That Hobbs one is gorgeous.

seefeld Sun 26-Jun-16 17:42:50

I've got a dress in the same print as the French Connection one you linked above OP and it's gorgeous IRL. I think it's hard to tell from the pic what it looks like on so could be worth a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now