Really need the ultimate nail help plan

(21 Posts)
checkedcloth Sat 18-Jun-16 14:59:25

My nails are a mess.

They have never grown well, always been very weak etc.

The white bit splits into layers on most nails, and they feel very soft and weak.

I'm desperate to sort them out. I've tried loads of treatments over the years including Nail envy, solar oil, most of the Sally Hansan ones. Also done the rubbing in Vaseline and almond oil thing too - with little change.

What can I do with them? I would like to have reasonably strong nails, that grown enough for me to be able to file and shape.

I don't bite them btw. Have tried to add a picture so you can see.

Would love to hear the ultimate products etc I could use.

blue2014 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:02:02

Baby oil with vitamin e did it for me

checkedcloth Sat 18-Jun-16 15:11:13

Really? Just rubbed into the nail?

blue2014 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:42:15

Yep. Although I suppose an vitamin supplement would help too

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:45:53

Nail make up is genetic, if you have weak nails there is only so much you can do to improve it. Vitamin D is worth a try, get actual sunlight on them as well as taking a supplement. Always use gloves for housework/washing up. Try not to excessively wash your hands. Always use a cream after.

nebulae Sat 18-Jun-16 16:34:18

My index and middle finger nails are peelers, same as yours. The layers of nail peel off leaving them weak. The best product I've found is Nailtiques Formula 2.

The sensitive & peeling version of Nail Envy is good as well. Not as good as Nailtiques in my opinion though,

Beautifullymixed Sat 18-Jun-16 16:45:01

Biotin.
Grew my nails long and strong after biting them for 35 years. Read online reviews.
The first picture was in January, the second in June. I never thought I'd ever have pretty nails smile

I also take silica, vitamin d3 and fish oils.
I purchased it from amazon. Best buy ever.

I also moisturise my hands relentlessly.
Wear rubber gloves for housework.
Swear by flexital cuticle cream for nights, and CND solar oil for day. I have a bottle of this fab cuticle oil at work, in my bag, and by my bed. I apply all through the day.

My dcs say I'm obsessed. You bet I am! grin

Beautifullymixed Sat 18-Jun-16 16:51:03

My nails are now thick and so strong.
Didn't need to paint anything on them , just from the inside.
I used to peel the layers apart, and nibble all the skin around them. Till they bled.
Daily. For years.
The biotin made them grow so fast - I couldn't keep up. They grew faster then I could bite them!
So I thought, I wonder what would happen if I decided to grow them.....

It's payday now, and I'm excitedly choosing my new nail colour. grin

itsbetterthanabox Sat 18-Jun-16 17:47:30

Beautifully mixed. If you were a biter then you made have had strong nails anyway they just were nibbled before growing.
Op the best thing you can get is a salon treatment called IBX. It is amazing. Hard to explain so read about it on their site: www.ibxnails.com
An alternative which works similarly but isn't as intensive is CND rescue RXX. Which is treatment you rub daily into bare nails which plasticises them. Look up reviews as many, many people with weak nails find this amazing.

Hopefully Sat 18-Jun-16 18:02:01

Mine have always been shite, even though I have a good diet, look after them, apply hand cream, wear gloves etc. The big game changer for me was when I started oil pulling (swilling coconut oil round my mouth). The oil pulling obviously does sod all for your nails, but I used the last bit left on the spoon to rub into my hands and cuticles - just doing that every morning has literally transformed them. I still keep them short because I don't like long nails, but I can paint and repaint them regularly without any problems, which was always my biggest issue before (a couple of manicures in the nails would be in appalling condition).

Shop Sat 18-Jun-16 19:36:00

Definitely nailtiques formula 2. They do a formula 2 plus as well but the formula 2 stopped my nails peeling completely.

Beautifullymixed Sat 18-Jun-16 19:58:40

itsbetterthan my nails were not strong at all. On the odd chance they got past my busy teeth, they were bendy and peeled.

When I started taking the biotin, I noticed how much thicker and harder they were. It was even better to nibble on, but I had to be careful they didn't cut my gums blush

The difference was amazing. Even more so, as I took the supplements to improve my hair thickness and length - I had no intention of stopping biting my nails.
It has been a source of constant fascination for me.

I sit and stare at them. smile

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 18-Jun-16 22:24:08

Sally Hansen Nail Rescue and a buffing block. I bit my nails for years, and then quit to grow long, paintable talons. They're still a bit pathetic at times but the Sally Hansen stuff helps a lot.

Don't ever have them gel painted. That has ruined mine at the mo. Never before, never again!

MountainDweller Sun 19-Jun-16 00:18:20

Calcium supplements work for me. It definitely shows if I run out!

RaarSaidTheLion Sun 19-Jun-16 00:28:45

YY to calcium supplements. Also fresh therapies nourishing nail elixir. I had tried other oils in the past e.g. solar oil and they had a bit of an effect but not much. The fresh therapies one is really good.

wiltingfast Sun 19-Jun-16 00:54:01

My nails peel, like an onion.

I take silicea

Best thing ever, works marvellously.

I have to take it all the time though, if I miss even 2 or 3 days they start peeling again.

wiltingfast Sun 19-Jun-16 00:55:03

Nothing else worked btw, not oils, not nail rescue paint on shit, not omegas.

checkedcloth Sun 19-Jun-16 09:45:37

Thank you all so much for all the relies and advice.

Beutifullymixed - they look amazing

I'm going to go for a combination of supplements and oils from the advice from above. I did look at the treatment suggested to see if anyone locally offers it - that might be a good way to really get them going again

Thanks again

P1nkP0ppy Sun 19-Jun-16 09:53:13

Eat a jelly cube or Haribos every day - I tried everything like you and since doing this my nails are incredible, never break and grow very quickly. That and lashings of hand cream (Vaseline Hand &Nails in the pink container is fabulous) to keep your nails/cuticles moisturised.
I tried supplements etc, waste of money for me.

HermioneWeasley Sun 19-Jun-16 15:06:55

Any particular biotin you'd recommend? And how much do you take?

Beautifullymixed Sun 19-Jun-16 19:17:09

I take this biotin with the MSM in, really good value, and I haven't broken out in acne as some users have reported.
I also take this silica and love this too.

These supplements have really helped me, the biotin in particular. I really recommend them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now